PlayStation Isle Of Wight: A Pleasant Surprise

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Turbojugend, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

Picked up this route on the recent PS sale, I wasn't expecting to be blown away considering it doesn't get a lot of attention, but it is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Yes, it's short, but the train is super-responsive and the scenery is ideal. Just a nice, relaxing bit of route DLC.

Anyone else find themselves enjoying IoW?

• Like Like x 11
  2. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

When I want a nice relaxing drive or I only have half hour or so to spare I always go for the I.O.W. It is a great route to play, now.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I really like the route.

• Like Like x 3
  4. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

It is indeed a very relaxing route, maybe not the best one but it has still a warm place in my heart :D
    If you wan't a relaxing route but not so slow like WSR, this is a good one.

• Like Like x 5
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes. It is a great route. A lot of the negative comments about IoW are unfounded. Some people say it’s boring but I don’t know what those people expect from it. Rivet made a good choice for their first route and made a good job of it too. It’s such a good experience driving the 483 along the short route as an antidote to life’s stresses.

• Like Like x 4
  6. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Anyone having / had trouble with the Engineering Interruption scenario though? I’m getting near to the end of it and I just end up at some buffers different to where the way point says I should be. I don’t quite know what I’m doing wrong tbh? Is there some points to change? And if so do I have to do it?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lenwigg

You should be able to see if you need to change any points by looking at the map.

• Like Like x 1
  8. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

It's quite a nice route and great for a reasonably chilled session when you don't fancy a high speed dash between stops to keep up with the timetable.

I wouldn't say I'd personally find it great value at the full £19.99 due to it being so short, but I also picked it up in a previous sale and with a bit of a discount, it's well worth adding to the collection :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. shhweeet#4292

It turns out your supposed to change cabs and drive back to the pier. ( I watched a video of it on YouTube ) I did follow the instructions / prompts it gives you but it didn’t say I had to do that hence why I just drove on until I hit the buffers. LOL. Obvious when you think about it really but it isn’t helpful for total newbies like me when the prompts just seem to stop or at best are very vague. I mean it would be quite nice if the prompts told me to do that because I’m a TSW idiot at the end of the day. I had a similar thing on Trans Pennine rescue scenario where I had to drive the loco forward to a siding and then go back to Leeds station to hook up to a train that had broken down. I think I was supposed to change cabs then as well but because the prompts didn’t tell me to so I did it blind in reverse which was quite a skill for me if I’m being honest.

back on topic though IOW is enjoyable for all the reasons others have given.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Lenwigg

Oh sorry I didn't know. I have been playing the game for around nine months and I wouldn't have known unless told so don't feel bad for not knowing.

• Like Like x 2
  11. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I enjoy it- there are some minor scenery issues around ryde espanarde and pier head but apart from that it is a decent route.

• Like Like x 2
  12. shhweeet#4292

No problem. I can’t understand why the prompts wouldn’t inform the player to change cabs etc the whole idea of them is to guide new players surely? Where as experienced players I would assume can switch them off.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Turbojugend

Just curious; has anyone completed all of the IoW route tasks? I've got everything except one camera, I've visited every station twice and walked the entire track and cannot find it for the life of me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

There is one sneaky camera not on stations or near the tracks, here is a other thread with some information: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw2-isle-of-wight-collectibles-40-40.28688/

• Like Like x 4
  15. Turbojugend

Oh man, thanks for that. The other 39 are hidden in fairly plain sight, I'd have never found the last.

• Like Like x 2
  16. shhweeet#4292

Honestly this IOW add on is now doing my head In. I’ve finally got to the end of Engineer Interruption and I need to switch the master key lever to off. I know where it is but it won’t let me click on it. It only lets me switch the master key off not the lever I know the two are next to each other but I just can’t click on the lever?? It won’t let me complete the task unless I switch both off in the correct order. Any one else had this problem? Is it just a PS4 problem? Either way it’s these kind of things I’m discovering in the short time I’ve been here that really lets TSW down.

it’s simply not good enough for the price they are charging for these add ons. An unpleasant surprise and a complete time waste. ☹️

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Turbojugend

Those Master Key controls are touchy because as you said, they're right next each other. Once you get the hang of the analog sensitivity it's fairly easy, but yeah, it can be frustrating.

• Like Like x 3
  18. shhweeet#4292

Honestly I’m trying literally everything but it just won’t pick up on the master lever. I’ve noticed it can be a sensitive fiddle between the two in other tasks but I’ve usually done it. Here though the lever won’t even appear just the master switch of which actually moves to where the lever should be when you switch that off.

Honestly who in dtg designed this? I’d sack them. I’ve no option but to abandon the task right at the very end. If I do the whole task again it might appear??? which to be frank I really can’t be bothered to do. Either way it’s things like this that are so annoying and let this game totally down. TSW2 must be the buggiest game I’ve ever played on PS4 what with missing or vague prompts / instructions and other things. Does nobody at dtg test things before release? Also why is the resume a save menu such a faff to get to? Why do you have to go back to the main menu to use it? Surely it should be accessible straight from the pause menu? Put it this way if things don’t improve I’m definitely not investing any more money in TSW2 here on PS4 and I definitely won’t be taking a risk on a TSW3 on a PS5. I hope the staff at dtg read this forum because honestly they need to get a grip and increase their quality control of their TSW franchise if they are going to charge the prices they do.

• Like Like x 2
  19. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Yes, the same thing happened to me and it is very annoying. I seem to remember that I solved it by going to the other cab, there I activated and deactivated the lever and then it was working fine in the driver's cab.

• Like Like x 2
  20. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Rivett did the route

• Like Like x 1
  21. shhweeet#4292

Believe it or not I went to the other cab and the same problem was there as well as in there was no way to access the master lever because it just wasn’t there either. This seems like a random coding error that must randomly pop up for whatever reason.

We feel the pain together bro LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  22. shhweeet#4292

That’s true but dtg must surely quality check it before allowing it to be added to their game? And quality check Rivett itself to see if they are up to standard as a supplying developer. After all it’s dtg’s reputation that gets affected.

I apologise for my rant before everyone but not the sentiments behind it. TSW is a great game generally but a seriously expensive one, as such a game containing so many bugs and flaws that I’m finding in it the short time I’ve been playing is pretty unacceptable. dtg being a small company isn’t an excuse for sloppy development and quality control either. Not in today’s world.

• Like Like x 2
  23. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

I had same issue with that scenario, I had to restart the game. I find sometimes if I get ahead of the scenario instruction dialog that sometimes things like this happen. The route is great once you get past the scenarios and regular journeys (i.e. back and forth between Shanklin and the pier), but I think the scenarios on IOW are some of the most subpar compared to others.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Turbojugend

Another bug I've seen happen frequently on this route is when resuming from a saved game (surprise!), the door d-pad shortcut no longer works. Easily rectified by pushing the appropriate button on the dash, but it's a bug nonetheless.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Lenwigg

Whenever I come across a problem like this and I am sure it is some kind of bug and not me or me doing something wrong is to save it and reload it. This is the only time I use the save option in the game because, unless it has been fixed, saving a game will often result in a broken game when you reload it. But saying that it often works in reverse by fixing a game that has become stuck.

I had a similar problem ages ago on another route. Right at the end, everything done, all I had to do was remove the master key. Would it let me do that? Would it hell. I spent ages trying and trying. Last result save and reload. As soon as I reloaded I went over to the master key and out it came. Prompt then came up to diss embark, then it completed.

If you do try it again and get the same problem, or get stuck on anything else and you are sure it is a bug it is worth a try rather than giving up altogether. It has helped solve things for me several times, but I only use it if my only other option is to give up.

• Like Like x 2
  26. shhweeet#4292

Oh yeah! I suffered that as well at the 1st station on the way back after changing cabs, it also was after a save. I never thought about pushing the button on the dash (Doh!) but in my defence I’m still learning the ropes and feeling my way around. upload_2021-3-23_23-18-17.png

• Like Like x 2
  27. shhweeet#4292

Great advice really appreciated. For some reason I’ve really struggled on this particular Engineer Interruption task, No idea why and earlier to day I thought Id cracked it only for that bug to appear right at the end hence my earlier rant upload_2021-3-23_23-23-34.png

• Like Like x 2
  28. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Can't agree more, IoW is the most relaxing route in TSW yet, the 483 is very easy and fun to drive without being too monotonous as well

• Like Like x 4
  29. shhweeet#4292

Just done Engineering Interruption again tonight and exactly the same problem. No master lever switch.

It looks like this task can’t be completed not on PS4 anyway. Has anyone else found this bug out of interest?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Turbojugend

I'll give it a spin tonight and let you know what I discover.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Bkulesza

Bkulesza Member

I encountered this as well. I stood up from the seat & was then able to get a grasp on that handle. The trigger IS difficult to find. If I recall, it was slightly up & to the right of where you would normally get the trigger.

• Like Like x 1
  32. shhweeet#4292

Nice one It will be interesting to see if you get the same thing happen to you. To be honest I’m finding IOW so full of bugs it’s just not enjoyable anymore so I’m going to maybe just stop playing it the scenarios anyway because that seems to be where the problems exist. For example I’ve been doing Smallbrook Shuffle tonight and I came upon a red light. I stopped, asked the signalman if I could proceed, he said proceed with caution, so I did and I failed because I ran a red light?? About 45 mins of my time wasted.

I’d recommend any new players who haven’t got this IOW add on to save their money and avoid it like the plague tbh maybe only buy it for a fiver if you must providing the timetable runs work as they should? I guess this is what happens when you outsource work to 3rd party developers, in this case Rivet.☹️

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  33. shhweeet#4292

Interesting that you found it. I’ve tried literally everything with the cursor in every position whether standing up or sitting down etc and it just won’t appear for me at all at either end of the train and I’ve done it several times now. It’s very annoying. I think I read somewhere on here that the IOW add on has had quite a few problems / bugs? ever since it was first released. Glad I didn’t pay full price for it but I still feel cheated that it’s been sold on such an underdeveloped state. Oh well.

34. Turbojugend

Okay, here's what I found: When I went to play the scenario, it was already completed on my save, so it's definitely doable on PS4 (Pro). So I replayed through to the end anyway, saving just before the last stop but not quitting out and resuming that save. I went through it in a single pass. No problems with the Master Lever/Key commands, in fact the lever is directly overlaid so that you don't even have to move the analog stick to find the key after you've set the lever.

After completing the scenario (again), I went back and resumed that save just before the end. I did encounter the bug with the door shortcuts not working, but the Master Lever/Key worked fine. So, three attempts, three completions.

This is definitely one of the more grueling scenarios on IoW as it basically asks you to run the entire route, then stop, back up, switch cabs and do it all over again. Not my favorite. Anyway, hope this helps. :)

• Like Like x 1
  35. shhweeet#4292

How weird is that. I’ve done it about 3 times to the end and each time I can’t find that dam lever no matter how much I wiggle the cursor about. I’ve even watched a video on YouTube where the player stops near to the buffers past the stop marker point. I’ve done the same but no joy doing that either.

I can’t explain this? Thanks for doing that though much appreciated.

I wonder if it’s worth deleting it and re downloading it again?

36. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I think I remember a bug with this scenario where if you switch cabs before it instructs you to the master key disappears... I thought it had been fixed though. May be worth reversing back into the station and waiting until it tells you to change ends if you haven’t already (I know it’s tempting to change ends when it asks you to reverse back in to the station)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. shhweeet#4292

I think you might have hit the proverbial nail on the head with this. Earlier in this thread I was mentioning that the prompts weren’t very clear for newbies like me who were coming to this quite tricky railway sim for the very first time, newbies trying to fathom out and are possibly struggling how it all works. Before I realised the task was to go back to the main pier the way you had just come I just drove on thinking there was a branch line or something in order to by pass the engineering work but l I came to buffers which is the temporary end of the normal line, so when I realised this I then naturally switched cabs in order to drive back to the pier. I’m now realising you must have to actually reverse back to the station you’ve just passed and THEN change cabs when I assume the prompts will then tell me to? ( In real life do they actually reverse trains for a fair distance blind as it were? Unless they have some means to see what’s going on behind it? A video camera or a man with a flag and a two way radio maybe? I dunno? )

I’ll try this later and reverse to the station before I change cabs and if it’s the solution I’m going to feel like a right idiot. For any newbies who might be reading this I have eventually worked out you need to take note of the direction arrow tagged onto those floating waypoint markers because they are important but not immediately obvious.

Anyway I will report back my findings . Hopefully this saga has provided some entertainment and laughs to all you seasoned TSW players out there. ;):)

Edit... Just read Turbojugend last reply more carefully and he also mentions it’s asks you to back up. I can’t honestly remember it saying you have to actually REVERSE to the station though hence the confusion. Either way guys I think you both might have identified the cause of my problem. I’m coming to the conclusion that I’m guilty of thinking far too logically for this game. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  38. Turbojugend

Yeah, I should have been more clear about that. When you are asked to reverse direction at the end of the route, I always back up to the first stop, then change cabs after the onscreen prompt. It doesn't actually tell you to throw it in reverse, which can be a bit confusing. But the fact that the "change cabs" prompt came up after the stop led me to believe it was the thing to do. Hopefully it makes a difference for you!

• Like Like x 1
  39. shhweeet#4292

:):):):):)
    Shhhheeesh kebabs! I’ve finally done it! :oThat was the problem changing cabs instead of reversing back to the station. I cant believe the prompts don’t actually tell you to do that, all you really get is the floating waypoint with the little direction arrow. I’m also pretty sure in real life a train driver wouldn’t be allowed to reverse all that way back without being able to see what’s behind him just in case something ran out into his path behind him or whatever. Doing this breaks every safety rule in the book. I also made the mistake of saving at the point where I had to reverse back to the station because my dinner was ready, the result being the doors wouldn’t open all the way back to the pier. Luckily you told me about the dash button trick so that saved that particular day.

Many thanks to you, GuitarMan, and all the others for being patient and helping me to solve this.I’ve got to be honest though I never want to play IOW Engineering Interruption ever again.

• Like Like x 4
  40. breezico

breezico New Member

Ha! Yep.., so it was my first time using the IOW expansion today, hence I came here to see what I was doing wrong, looks like the pack is full of bugs. I am playing it on PS5; are the bugs on PS4 too? I’ve yet to get past the introduction as the bloody thing won’t pull out of the station once I’ve loaded passengers. I’m having to run from one end of the train to the other to press door buttons / locks, some of which are terrible to hit with analogue sticks (That flipping guard panel and key lever!). I noticed in one of the roadmaps that the Long Island Railroad pack had a massive list of bug fixes and optimisations done to it, hopefully IOW will get the same treatment at some point.., oh and please map the door controls to the joypad!

41. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I did the same in Trans Pennine on that one, But I did try to change ends as that is what you would do prototypically, but I could not get the loco to work, so did what you did and reversed it!

• Like Like x 1
  42. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  43. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

It is along the path towards the lake near brading

• Like Like x 1
  44. Turbojugend

Yeah, I finally got it. Still, with all of the others clearly visible at the stations and that one tucked away on a remote path... it's borderline cruel! :D

45. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

46. Turbojugend

Here's another pleasant IoW surprise that I just discovered (on PS4 Pro anyway): With the visuals set to HD (not 4K), the frame rate is incredibly smooth. Visually, it looks like a constant 60fps, no other route comes close on this setting, not that I've seen anyway.

47. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

Despite the bugs, despite being the shortest route in TSW 2, it's the only route that I managed to complete all the journey chapters. Now I am done with this route and it was a chilling experience for that price of $16.24 when I got it on sale months ago.
    Train Sim World 2 IOW.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  48. Turbojugend

Yeah, I definitely got my money's worth out of this route. I even managed to get all of the trophies, which unfortunately it seems not everyone is able to achieve. And I only got the red signal glitch once, which is a bonus.

I'll probably go back and complete the timetables, eventually. But on to other routes for now.

• Like Like x 1