Ecml: London King's Cross To Peterborough

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by james64, Apr 1, 2021.

1. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I thought I'd have a go at posting a serious suggestion for a route I'd love to see.

GWE is one of my favourite routes in TSW2, and by far the one I have the most attachment to. One of the reasons I love it so much is that it works very well both as an Express route, a commuter route and a freight route. I think most other routes in TSW2 only do one or sometimes two of those well. For example, Marseille to Avignon won't be much fun if you're not into fast expresses, Rapid Transit won't interest those that dislike the stop start nature of commuter trains and if you're not a fan of freight then there's nothing Tees Valley offers that you can't find in Northern Trans Pennine. GWE does all three well imo, and the only route I've played that comes close to matching it's variety is SEHS, but I hesitate to call the Javelin services "Expresses" as they devolve into a commuter service once you're off HS1 with just as many if not more station calls than the rest of the trains on the route.

I think the route I'm suggesting would work wonderfully in TSW2 for the same reasons GWE does. I think there's a great variety of traction and services on the route, and that it would be a great addition to the game. I'd like it to go as far as Peterborough, but seeing as DTG cut GWE short at Reading I could see them stopping at Stevenage as it would make the route more similar to GWE in terms of length.

I'd like the route to be set in the late 2010s, shortly before the introduction of the Azumas. This would enable them to make the Class 91 the flagship loco for the route, and give them an excuse to re use the HST for the route as well (I still can't believe the HST, the most iconic train in the UK is only in one route in this game while the 101 is in two and the 66 in three).

In addition to the 91 and HST, I think the Class 700 would be great for the Thameslink services. Fast, modern EMUs are usually a lot of fun in TSW2, and the 700 would fit right in. Alternatively, I can't imagine it would be too hard to spruce up the existing Class 377 model and turn it into the 387, however iirc they're mostly used on Cambridge services that leave the line at Hitchin, so I don't think they'd be as accurate or versatile as the 700.

Finally, seeing as the Class 313 is currently in development for East Coastway, it seems natural to feature it on this route in FCC colours, during it's last few years of operation. They'd also throw in the 66 for freight operations, no doubt, perhaps even the 08 for shunting at Bounds Green.

As for potential DLC, the Class 800 Azuma is the most obvious candidate, perhaps featuring it in both LNER colours and Hull Trains colours (technically these are 802 "Paragons", but there's very little difference).

The Class 180 Adelante could also work. I sometimes see people requesting it for GWE so it would be a welcome addition. The Class 365 would also be a good fit. It's similar to the 465 in many ways so they're already half way there in a way.

Thanks for reading such a long post!

• Like Like x 5
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I. Absoluetly. Love. This. Idea.
    However, sadly, the Thameslink franchise is very hard to get a licence from. Which, is why, I think this route would work excellently with Virgin Trains EC, FCC and GC or Hull Trains on the line. (Set before these operators began rebranding, of course)
    As for the rolling stock; The 313 and 377 both ran on First Capital Connect. The HST & 91 are both very recognisable and I would imagine (I know of the HST but obviously not the 91) would be incredibly fun to drive.
    As for the IET's and 707/387 ; I think this could be a excellent opportunity for DTG to use the multiple timetables feature. Offer a loco and scenario pack (like GWB) for this route, include the 800/801 (LNER or even late Virgin) and 387 and 707 for Thameslink, have the modern timetable with those and sorted. As for freight, I like the idea, freight doesn't really interest me but it still sounds fun and interesting.
    Also, Grand Central or Hull Trains would be good add-ons for the high speed sector with the 802s (which could come with the above mentioned loco pack, as it's similar to Azuma's) and the 180.
    As for the 365, again, I think it's possible. But, as I said, I think this is a wonderful suggestion, and I think, as I also said, a modern day pack would fit the bill perfectly.

3. ferriso2001

ferriso2001 New Member

Great idea!

But... you can't have the ECML or any part thereof without a Class 55 and an A4! If your suggestion was to become a reality (set post electrification), perhaps a rail tour pack would be in order, to include what must be considered these two essential locomotives. If so, may I suggest that the route should include Peterborough north to Grantham, for perhaps obvious reasons. :)

Additionally, to complete the dream, the in game 43 should be remodelled to represent the original fitted with the mighty Valenta!!!

Oh well, perhaps one day.

• Like Like x 2
  4. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I definitely think a rail tour pack would be perfect. Seeing Deltics and A4s in TSW2 would be a dream come true. I didn't want the route to be set in those periods personally because modern traction is more my kind of thing.

I'm hoping that when steam comes to DTG, we get an ECML route set during the golden age of steam in the 1930s, driving A4s and A1s.

• Like Like x 2