Kowloon-canton Railway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Slenderman_HKRES, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Slenderman_HKRES

Slenderman_HKRES Member

Train Simulator currently has two China route which are the South West China High Speed Network and the Western Sichuan Pass Route, so how about getting one in the South Eastern China? The Kowloon-Canton Railway connects Hong Kong (Kowloon) and Guangzhou (Canton) are divided into two sections, the British section (Hong Kong to Shenzhen) and the Chinese section (Shenzhen to Guangzhou) with a total distance of around 190 km.

The Chinese section has over 100 trains per day every direction between Guangzhou and Shenzhen, with stations at Guangzhou(only some stops here), Guangzhou East (Guangzhoudong), Dongguan, Changping, Zhangmutou, Pinghu (only some stops here), Shenzhen East and terminate at Shenzhen.

On the other hand the English section is rather behave like a metro line, currently known as East Rail Line under the operation of MTR Corporation, with trains up to every 2 - 3 minutes, all trains call at Hung Hom, Mong Kok East, Kowloon Tong, Tai Wai, Sha Tin, Fo Tan or Racecourse (Horse Racing day only), University, Tai Po Market, Tai Wo, Fanling, Sheung Shui and terminate at Lo Wu .With a branch line diverge from Sheung Shui to Lok Ma Chau.

Since there are border control between Lo Wu and Shenzhen, there are two options for passengers that hope to travel between Hong Kong and China: either get off at Lo Wu and get on at Shenzhen station, or get on a intercity through train.

The intercity through train runs jointly by MTR and Guangzhou Railway group, currently have 12 trains in each direction everyday. The whole journey takes around 1 hour and 40 minutes, starting at Hung Hom, then 10 of the 12 pairs will call at Changping and finally Guangzhou East (Guangzhoudong).

Rolling stock includes:
    China Railways CRH1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Railways_CRH1 (Chinses section only)
    China Railways CRH6: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Railways_CRH6 (Chinese section only)
    China Railways SS8 loco with 25T carriage : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Railways_SS8 (Intercity through trains only)
    Lok 2000 + Kinki Sharyo double decker coach (whole train set also known as KTT): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTR_KTT (Intercity through trains only)
    MTR Metro Cammell EMU (AC) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTR_Metro_Cammell_EMU_(AC) (English section only)
    MTR SP 1900 EMU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SP1900_EMU (English section only)

The MTR EMUs are all under ATO using TBL signaling while the intercity through trains use AWS and 4 aspect light signaling just like UK does.

Hope this can be added as a add-on for train simulator in the future. Please feel free to leave any comments below. :)

• Like Like x 5
  2. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Awesome propsal!!
    I upWHOAted.

BTW:
    Isn't the SP1900 EMU the same as the Ostrich SP1900 in Cities in Motion (1)? It looks the same.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slenderman_HKRES

Slenderman_HKRES Member

Yes it is, but longer (12 car formation Vs 4car formation in Cities in Motion)However, they are going to be transferred to West Rail Line and all the rolling stock in the East Rail Line are being replaced by Korean Rotem EMUs in the near future.

4. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

I thought so. ;) Though I did not notice that they were longer in reality!
    Do you have any info if the SP1900s are going to be preserved/museumated*, after retirement? At least one unit?
    Thanks!

*museumated = put into a museum

5. Slenderman_HKRES

Slenderman_HKRES Member

They are not going to retire in the near future but are going to transfer to another metro line (West Rail Line). :) I think they can be in service for another 15 - 20 years but the Metro Cammell EMU (AC) are going to retire in about 2 - 3 years time. Unfortunately, no plans for preservation iirc :(

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Thanks for the reply, very informative! :)
    But what does "iirc" mean?

7. Slenderman_HKRES

Slenderman_HKRES Member

If I Remember Correctly

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Ah, thanks. ;)

9. sem34090

sem34090 Member

How about a pre-metro version of the British part? When they had proper locos?
    [​IMG]
    Give me a Riddles WD 2-8-0 over a plastic electric box on wheels any day!

We could do with a new pair of WD's in TS - Both 2-8-0 and 2-10-0.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Slenderman_HKRES

Slenderman_HKRES Member

They did have diesel and steam locos running before electrification and conversion to a dual-track system but i'm not familiar with those so I can get you a list of retired rolling stock in wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon–Canton_Railway#Historic

• Like Like x 2
  11. sem34090

sem34090 Member

The WD 2-8-0 in my post is shown as it was in service on the K&CR, but the list is very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Matthewy415

Matthewy415 New Member

Too bad little photographic resources and documentation remain of the KCR steam locos as nearly all of them were scrapped after withdrawal, so it would be quite a challenge to model the railway in that era.

As the Metro Cammell EMUs are reaching the ends of their service lives, it would be great if any content developer would recreate them in TS.

An interesting fact, the modernization of the KCR network was heavily based on British Rail as the consultation company was related to BR. So, AWS and 4-aspect signals are implemented as well as BR cut-out style speed limit signs. The Metro Cammell EMUs were based on the PEP design with Class 317 motors and Class 312 tap changers proir to refurb, yet Chinese Railway freight wagons and trains are a common sight on the network as well.
    This interesting mix of British and Chinese railways is extremely attractive and surely deserves to be in TS. I would surely love to see the modern KCR network along with the Chinese section so I could recreate Intercity through train and freight workings in game. The KCR and HK railway network as a whole surely deserve to be in TS. I would love to see the KCR in the early days of electrification or in the present day, where diesel and electric would work side by side. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The routes you mention were not created by DTG but by other companies.
    Western Sichuan Pass Route was made by Simtec Vision and the South West China High Speed Network is by Just Trains
    There is also the Longhai Railway: Lingbao - Mianchi Route Add-On from Simtec Vision and there are other route available from Just Trains
    https://www.justtrains.net/searchresults?category=products&query=China

You might be better asking a producer like Simtech Vision or Just Trains as they already have the knowledge and assets for creating a new Chinese Route - DTG would have to build everything from scratch

Peter

• Like Like x 2