The Catch I Wish Eels...........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chiokehinton, Mar 14, 2021.

1. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

I wish Eels were so LEGENDARY that they can be IMPOSSIBLE to catch. But, somehow I have figured out the PERFECT rig to catch these AVAILABLE headaches. Ive hooked 95 of the suckers that's 2nd place to the channel cat. We all want WELLS CATS because they are fun but, the Eels are killing the experience of hunting for Wells Cats. Im coming back after taking some time off. Nothing has changed.

2. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

Hi chiokehinton, which venue are you fishing on for wels?

3. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

Im fishing River Ebro, fishing off the silt using dead baits. I've hooked 52 Wells Cats .

4. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

To try and help with the Eels, try fishing at sunset or morning. Wels are less active too but Eels are considerably less active at those times. Eels are most active at night and then sunrise. I will pass on your feedback to the team regarding the number of Eels you're catching vs wels.

5. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

Roger that!

6. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

As of today..a year of off and on fishing @ River Ebro
    261 Channel Cats caught
    106 Eels
    57 Wels Cats

MAKE THAT MAKE SENSE DTG??????

7. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

Hi chiokehinton, have you been trying the different times of day to fish? Also have you tried mixing up the baits you're using? The DYNAMITE Marine Halibut Catfish Pellet 30mm is something the Wels will go for but the Eels won't.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

Roger that

9. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

Yes I change the time of day. Sometimes I align whatever time it is outside IRL to how Im fishing just to try something new. I have been following your instructions to avoid eel and it has worked to a degree. I like the game ..I just want more from it.

10. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

If there are any other suggestions you have, we'd be happy to take note and pass them onto the team.

11. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

Update

After switching to the bait you recommended almost no eels AND now the Wels are biting. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  12. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

Well if you are asking about the suggestion's I would impose. We can start here.
    -Create a survival mode, where players are motivated to catch small fish to repurpose as bait for larger fish. Im speaking for myself but, currently, I have NO MOTIVATION to fish for smaller fish that would serve as bait for larger fish. Because baits are so readily available I can just buy out the bait shop.

-In my vision, a SURVIVAL MODE would not have unlimited bait resources in my tackle. It may require a RPG element of the game that DTG would not venture through. However, it would keep the gamer fishing and give the INCENTIVE to fish for other fish. Like, it would be kool to care about a SNAP LINE, because I fished for the bait..its limited.

-give us more fish and ways of getting bait. We want a challenge. Just be creative. Maybe on SURVIVAL MODE you have to catch and cook. There are a lot of successful youtube ppl that do catch and cook. Outdoorboys and Catch and Carpe I watch while I play this game.

-Of course, more fish Flathead cats Gars any fish that Jeremy caught on River Monsters needs to be on the CATCH!

-I understand the current bait system, takes the leg work out of the player to create baits. It would cause confusion and frustration. However, the current system has also created confusion and frustration.

-I also understand that my suggestions would be hard to execute but, you asked...this is a good game at the right time.

-Also how about a four-screen Co-op? HALO esq. I mean yall cant make that work?..I cant believe while you guys was talking about this game it was not envisioned for 4 friends to get around each other in a fishing game...WE DO THAT IN REAL LIFE.

13. DTG Clarkey

DTG Clarkey Staff Member

Hi chiokehinton, thanks for all these suggestions and for taking the time to write them down I will pass this onto the team. It's really useful for the team to hear what players like and dislike so I'll be sure to pass this on.

14. stuartmiller07

stuartmiller07 New Member

the last thing this game needs is more species of fish lool it needs more information on the current fish for what bait might be best. there are so many boilies to choose from that it just becomes impossible to know which one to actually use. maybe have a mirror carp prefer a specific type of boilie compared to a ghost carp, so if you're going after a specific boss fish you improve your chance slightly by using a specific bait.

15. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

*****UPDATE*****

Today I just caught my new PB for Wels Catfish off Frenzied Hemp & Snails off the gravel. She weighs in @ 160lb 80.71in. Its been a while but was satisfying to catch her.

• Like Like x 1
  16. stuartmiller07

I caught a 161lb earlier, by the little rock in the water on Ebro where people are catching The Bull. Getting bored now though lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

What bait were you using?

18. stuartmiller07

I caught him with Essential Cell, also have the marine catfish pellet and a mackeral head in the water alongside it as well

• Like Like x 1
  19. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

20. stuartmiller07

i was float fishing for a while, since theres so many pumpkinseed, perch and roach on the top of the water, but i only catch specimen and no look in at a boss fish yet

21. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

*****Big Update*****
    A lil over 1 week of fishing with new bait. Essential Cell, Marine Halibut Catfish and my NEW FAV Frenzied Hemp and Snails.

413 Channel Cats
    121 Common Carp
    104 Mirror Carp
    74 Wels Cats
    0 Eels

The Carp are 40lbs or more

Took the Eels out now I'm enjoying again.

Frenzied Hemp & Snails is getting me the biggest Wels

• Like Like x 1
  22. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

*****NEW UPDATE*****
    New bait set up with great results

Frenzied Hemp &Snails
    Halibut Catfish Pellets
    and
    Scopex Squid Boiles

The Wels really like the squid

• Like Like x 1
  23. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

Moved away from Pellets and Dead Baits for the Wels on the Ebro. My catch rate was really low for Wels with those baits compared to other methods, meanwhile I was literally getting Channel Cats 80% - 85% of the time. Moved to Boilies and had far better results with the Wels and turned my catch rate in some areas 7/8 out of 10 bites, with the Carp making up the rest almost always. Biggest Wels so far off the top of my head is in nearing or around the 180lb mark. Cant catch any Boss Wels still and yet to catch a Boss Carp on the Ebro either, thought I may come across one with all the Boilies I was using? Hot Fish Boilie works pretty well just to add to the list.

I have tried using Lures on the Ebro to snare a Wels to change things up but cant get any to bite, And Channel Cats have started appearing on the Lures again...They are my Nemesis.

• Like Like x 1
  24. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

I agree 100% with your analysis. I did the same. So now I've got tackle for gravel and silt fishing off the boilies. I managed to eliminate Eels completely they were my headache. My Carp avg around 40 - 50lbs but no boss fish. Starting to pick up Barbels too but not enough to become annoying. I believe I hooked a Boss Wels but lost the fight. I've caught some pretty big Wels around the clock tower on River Ebro. The only problem is the fish like to run around the clock tower especially when your heart is beating.

So as of right now, all Im catching is
    Carp
    Chanel Cat
    Wels Cat
    Barbel

• Like Like x 1
  25. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

A good spot I found for Wels and where I had my biggest was on the main wide stretch. The boat launch on the South bank of the main stretch, the opposite far bank to that, somewhere there is a bit of shore line with a high rock formation and bolders sticking out of water around the bank edge. Between the two sets of large rocks either side there is a very shallow ledge that come out several feet into the main river. You will know when you see it as its several yards of area and the ledge is no more than a ft or two deep. Fishing in and around that shelf in the shallower water which is mainly gravel with Boilies got me a number of Wels that generally pushed 120-150lb as the main size stamp and then quite a bit bigger on occasion.

Worth looking out for if you haven't found it. Im going slightly off memory so you may need to work your way along that far bank line to find it, going right or East depending how you want to look at it.

• Like Like x 1
  26. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

I will try it

• Like Like x 1
  27. chiokehinton

chiokehinton Member

This morning started off nice

20210409_103203.jpg 20210409_105351.jpg

28. mazerunner#6046

mazerunner#6046 New Member

what rig were you using to catch the eels? I'm only asking because I need to catch 15 eels but have so far only caught small perch, carp, and barbel

29. mareclodaniel

mareclodaniel New Member

it just becomes impossible to know which one to actually use. maybe have a mirror carp prefer a specific type of boilie compared to a ghost carp, so if you're going after a specific boss fish you improve your chance slightly by using a specific bait.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022