Glasgow Cathcart Circle, Some Suggestions, (some Important, Some Not So)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainsimplayer, Mar 26, 2021.

1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

At Glasgow Central station, Cathcart Circle (and the branches, if they are included) use a variety of platforms, ranging from platform 3 - (I think) platform 10, occasional services (again, I think) going to 11. However, on top of services being spread out, there comes an issue. In other stations in TSW Ticket Barriers are something you cannot cross. However, Glasgow Central has a split gateline;
    Screenshot_20210326_110523.jpg
    So, the barriers would have to be crossable for the service patterns here to be realistic.
    Now, (this is where the proper suggestion part happens), Routes typically have depots (SEHS - Gillingham, ECW - Brighton etc.) So for this line, Glasgow Shields Road (a couple of miles to the west on the Ayrshire/Inverclyde Lines, featured in TS' Glasgow Airport Rail Link) would be contenter 1/1. These were the only depot that really ever serviced 314s. shields-depot-hi-res.jpg
    (Shields Road Depot ↑)
    Third, and finally. The 314's livery.
    The Refurbishment seen the 314s get the saltire livery (before) the time the route is set in. However, 9 units retained the SPT Livery, operated by Scotrail. You can see the livery in the above image of the shields Road Depot. Screenshot_20210326_111846.jpg

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. trainsimplayer

A rough drawing of the run between the depot and Glasgow central. There are no direct links between the circle and the depot, services would start at Glasgow Central after arrival from the depot. Screenshot_20210326_140518.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  3. trainsimplayer

And, just to help, for anyone who doesn't know what the depot looks like, Screenshot_20210326_141058.jpg here's a view of it from above (thx Google earth)

• Like Like x 1
  4. trainsimplayer

Note: The SPT 314 is Debranded in this era.
    SPT 314 (I'm just adding as much as I can here) 220px-314210_at_Gourock_Railway_Station_in_March_2019.jpg

5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I do hope these things happen especially the inclusion of the depot

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. trainsimplayer

Now, having done some extra planning, I'm suggesting a scenario as well now, so here it is:
    Title: Hampden Special
    Summary: "It's matchday at Hampden as Scotland are playing, you'll be operating the packed services from Glasgow Central to Mount Florida, and doing an Empty Run round the circle to Glasgow"
    In Detail: Starting at Glasgow Central, you take a Class 314 EMU on Special Services between Glasgow and Mount Florida. You'll be sharing the line with regular services. When you reach Mount Florida you will head round the circle to Glasgow Central. [Then Repeat].
    Train: Class 314
    Why? This is a common sight on the Circle (or at least was before COVID), happening every few months. The services exist to relieve regular services by adding extra capacity for passengers.
    I mean I'm sure Dovetail have been considering something like this but thought I'd put it out there.

• Like Like x 2
  7. trainsimplayer

Note, Special Services go past Queens Park before Mount Florida (without stopping) just to give an idea of the direction.

8. Chiltern Railways

Chiltern Railways Active Member

Hopefully DTG do all this and add those branches!

• Like Like x 1
  9. trainsimplayer

Second Scenario Idea:
    Just a note: this is if they add the depot.
    Preparations:

Due to the Ayr Races, there is extra demand for services to Ayr, your task today is to take this Class 314 EMU from Shields Road Depot to Glasgow Central, and prepare it for service. The driver is stuck in traffic in Stirling. So you may be running late. Once the driver arrives, head to platform One, and operate a Circle Service back round to Glasgow Central, again.
    Difficulty: Medium (mostly keeping to time)
    Time: 10 minutes I would think?
    Train: Class 314

Last edited: May 10, 2021