Ran Out Of Space On C Drive Is It Possible To Transfer Tsw2 To D Drive?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mrcharliemiggins2.0, Apr 5, 2021.

1. mrcharliemiggins2.0

mrcharliemiggins2.0 Well-Known Member

Have recently ran out of space on my C drive and I was wondering if it was possible to uninstall TSW2 from my C drive and reinstall it on my D drive and weather I would lose progress or DLC or if it was even possible. If it is possible are there specific steps I need to take?

2. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

I did the same thing too for all my Steam Games, I just moved the entire Steam folder to D:. You wont lose progress, (well, in TSW there isn't really a Progress Like in other games, you can still play everything you can now even If you'd loose your entire progress) But i had to select the Desktop picture again because it was gone after the transfer.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Move the game to a new location via Steam or partially - using eg this software link

5. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

Is there a way to transfer a route from TSW20 to TSW2? I want to bring CSX Heavy Haul to TSW2.

6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Steam > Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders > Add Library Folder (an empty one in new location eg in other drive) > Select TSW on your Steam list > Properties > Local Files > Move Install Folder > select folder You created

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

All routes you own are transferred automatically as preserved collection (except NEC) **
    ** from TSW 2020 > TSW 2 (Sand Patch Grade too :) )

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2021
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

The CSX Heavy Haul route is available for TSW2. And as breblimator said, if you own a route for TSW2020, you will instantly own it for TSW2 as well for free.

9. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

Thank you. Sand Patch Grade was automatically, but CSX Heavy Haul was not. I suspect that may have been a space issue since I couldn't access my profile until I unchecked a route in my DLC, but even after space was added, it still wasn't transferred.

Were those instructions in your post before this one I quoted for
    me or mecharliemiggins2.0?

10. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Sand Patch Grade is CSX Heavy Haul, albeit updated for TSW2 with scenery, timetable, and locomotive improvements (or regressions, depending on your perspective).

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. ninjatrek2891

ninjatrek2891 New Member

You can actually just move your installation via steam via the properties -> local files tab.

12. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

Didn't know that with the name change. Thanks.

13. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I see lots of people have helped you here, but one word of caution. If your C: drive really is full then the transfer might fail. Try to clean up a few gigs of space before you attempt it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Really good advice. One way to make more room on the C drive is to move the default location of the tmp folder to another drive.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/285710/how-to-move-windows-temporary-folders-to-another-drive/

I always do this since the C drive seems to collect all sorts of garbage during normal operation.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I have two rules.
    1. Keep all games on their own internal drive.
    2. Keep all games on a different drive from your Windows installation.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tptrainEXP

tptrainEXP New Member

The Best Way to transfer a Game to another Drive without encountering Reinstall-Problems ist to use mklink on the command prompt (cmd).
    You can even move subdirectorys to another drive and you dont need to reinstall.

For Example: My Steam-Dir is on C:\Steam (yours are maybe different). Now i want Train Sim World 2 to move on D:\.
    First move your Train Sim World 2 Directory to D:\ then:
    Click on the Windows-Symbol in the lower left corner and enter cmd (before executing choose with your mouse "Run as Administrator").

Now enter the following mklink /j "C:\Steam\Steamapps\common\Train Sim World 2" "D:\Train Sim World 2"
    Press Enter and close the Window. If a error message is displayed you missed something. Start Train Sim World 2.

Almost any Game or any Directory (except system files) can moved like this without going through Reinstalling-Trouble

17. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

You don't need to do this with steam games. Steam just moves stuff and does not need to re-install. Its all done from the Steam UI.

• Like Like x 1