64 Or 32 Bit?

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by liz wood, Apr 10, 2021.

1. liz wood

liz wood New Member

Hi, my son is a big fan of Train Simulator and has really been enjoying the game, especially over lockdown. I’m not very technical at all and could do with some advice please - my son wants to run the game in 64-bit (hopefully this will stop the game from frequently crashing and allow some of the assets to load that aren’t currently loading.) However, he is worrying that switching from 32 to 64 bit could delete third party add-ons and custom routes and scenarios that he has made.
    Any advice would be great, thanks.

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The 32 and 64 bit .exe files (the two versions of the core program) sit alongside each other in the same directory and work in exactly the same way. As far as the rest of your installation is concerned it won't make the slightest difference which is running.

This is not true. Ideally that is the case but if you have Sherman Hill and try to run the Introduction to the Turbine scenario in 64 bit the train will fall off the track immediately and there may be other incompatibilities but they do seem to be few and far between and that's why you've still got the 32 bit version to fall back on. Certainly I haven't heard of the 64 bit version breaking or making any changes to an installation or causing problems with third party DLC nor have I encountered any such issues myself (admittedly I don't have a lot of third party).

3. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Liz Wood
    Running any program in 64-bit or 32-bit is exactly the same with no changes to any installed DLC (I don't get the Sherman Hill error that JJT gets in 64-bit aren't computers funny!). It just means that you have access to more Physical RAM (you should have at least 8GB of RAM installed (16GB better) otherwise little advantage over running in 32-bit). Rest assured DTG would have been overwhelmed with complaints if the 64-bit version removed anyone's own DLC. The usual rule is that any 32-bit code will run in a 64-bit OS, but not vice versa.
    An extremely simple analogy: Think of it as a car in one instance the car runs nicely on Super petrol - then someone gives a mod and it will now run better on Premium Super petrol - same car better performance.

Be careful here - the 64-bit code is the same as the 32-bit code so switching may not fix all of these issues, as it may be a fault in the code and not necessarily anything to do with the 32 or 64-bit operation.
    pH

4. jmjd000

jmjd000 New Member

How to switch to 64 bit play???

5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

When you start up the game you will get a pop up box giving the option to choose between 32 or 64 bit.

6. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

Unfortunately, you can't send the 64 bit link to the desktop and insert -fastload.

7. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

db
    You can actually send railworks 64.exe to the desktop as a shortcut then right-click - properties - shortcut in the target window after the last entry put in a space and type in -fastload that should do it. You can put anyTS command line in this way.

fastload desktop.png

• Helpful Helpful x 2