Yet Another Real Life Driver’s Experience....

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ghawk2005, Apr 5, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Ah. Quite so, I stand corrected. This then does require fixing (God knows when); the signal change in this situation ought to be tied to the loading-circle filling up, NOT to the door controls (which is especially silly on older slam-door stock)

But that I think would have to be associated with a broader re-work of station start procedure, including whistles and guard buzzers and all the rest, which are currently not modeled. Something like loading cycle completes, signal changes, doors close (by themselves, simulating guard action), driver receives two buzzes for all-clear, responds with two buzzes, turns off DRA, departure.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I don't think it needs be tied into that at all, it should act as it does in real life, acting on the approach of a train towards the signal or in reaction to the preceding train leaving the block. No reason in general for the signal to be red unless it would be so in real life, for example at a manual crossing

• Like Like x 1
  3. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I think the reason that it's done is so that the signalling doesn't set the route too early (like what happens on the SKA S Bahn).

However, it really should be a case that the route is set prior to the door closure notification.

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

On NTP the signal clears for the next instruction when you stop at a station rather than when you close the doors. This is equally absurd but it does eliminate having to close the doors on a red signal.

5. LucasLCC

Although possibly less absurd. It's not uncommon for station staff to mash the TRTS button as soon as a train comes into the platform.

At least this setup isn't an operational incident!

• Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I had assumed that at actual stations (not mere stops) the exit signal was set to red as a matter of course

7. ARuscoe

Talking from the UK perspective (an my fairly limited knowledge)...
    Depending on the type of signal it would either be green by default, following on from what's in front, or signaller controlled
    Having sat at Gravesend station facing east I note that they're now defaulting to red until a train is approaching when they flick to green, being green before the train is at platform if the line ahead is clear.
    Even with signals covering level crossings these would either be cleared ahead of the train if it's passing through (ie the gates would be closed ahead of time), or the crossings would drop for the intended departure time and then the light would clear

8. LucasLCC

It really depends on the station in question.

It can sometimes be a case that route is set just before departure (so at a terminus, you'd normally press the TRTS, the signal would clear and then you'd commence dispatch).

Normally a route is set straight through if possible. There's not many stations that I'd expect a red to be present outside of termini. Even locations such as Guildford you're usually routed straight through.

9. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Just did a run using nothing above Notch 5 ( Which is about the speed it SHOULD accelerate in Notch 7 ) until 40mph and then raised it to notch 7 which is almost right from 40mph upwards. As you can see from the photos even with the slower acceleration and using no more than Notch 2 braking I am still arriving with bags of time to spare at each station. So I see that DTG really have no excuse not to alter the physics as it really won’t affect timetabling at all. 17486F84-3598-40EE-9C36-661A4A1E29C6.jpeg D3D8849F-AF7C-4DCF-87EC-3C2DD13754DA.jpeg 2D865E08-B6AF-499E-BDE9-7B9BA5800182.jpeg 9167F52F-E76A-40E8-A3B4-64F325C632CF.jpeg

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

So you used my ‘stupid idea’ after all. You now know what you can do to have your train behave more like how you want for the time being while you wait for a fix. You can thank me later.

• Like Like x 4
  11. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

no, I ONLY used it to prove a point to DTG that slower acceleration wouldn’t affect the schedules. Not because it is how I should drive in normal use. Still a completely insane idea. Notch 7 should be notch 5 in terms of acceleration so your idea is completely unrealistic. I would rather not use the 166 at all until they’ve knocked 15-20 seconds off the 0-60 time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ARuscoe

Excellent, you come up with your own workaround... and hopefully that also means not banging on about it in the meantime

• Like Like x 1
  13. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Welcome to a world where social media exist and some people think their opinions are absolute.

• Like Like x 3