Crr Be Or Not To Be(ar)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by breblimator, Apr 10, 2021.

?
  1. I advise against purchasing this DLC!

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. overall quality & quantity

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. because of Clinchfield Railroad

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. impressive F7 and moody SD 40

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. beautiful views, relaxing experiences

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. pragmatism (lots of fun for this price)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. for immersive US local freight operations

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  8. two new locomotives for this price and the route for free

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. interesting, challenging gameplay (eg scenarios, brakes, grades)

27 vote(s)
    58.7%
  1. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Many people still hesitate (heretics! **), looking for a reason for yes or no - let's try to help them!
    I ignore technical issues here because they are often controversial.

** :D

The question is: If you would advise buying CRR, what would be the MAIN reason?

EDIT The two answers (6 & 8) are similar, but I made a distinction for the people for whom additional equipment is the main reason for buying. For eg SD 40 can be used in the SPG timetable.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I voted because it is the CRR, just because it is one of my favorite railroads. But there is so much to love (and hate) about this route. The scenery is similar to that of SPG, but it has a good mix of mainline runs, switching, and local runs. I feel this route is a huge step up for DTG, and hopefully we can see more content at this level in the future.

There are a few negatives to the route such as the scenery isn't perfect and there are a few bugs/glitches, but nothing game breaking.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Oh breblimator, why do you have to make this poll so difficult? :D

I‘m torn between #4 and #9. I was hyped for CRR ever since it was on the roadmap because I read F7. We didn‘t even know about the gameplay at that point and I had never heard of Clinchfield before even though I‘m a massive fan of NA freight.

If I knew that the person I would recommend it to loves EMD streamliner diesels as much as I do, I‘d certainly recommend CRR on the basis of #4.

In the end, I‘ll have to go with #9 like the majority thus far though. While the F7 is stunning, it is just another loco at the end of the day. The gameplay is what really sets apart CRR from any other DLC thus far. I just finished the Greenbriar turn and the shunting on the branchlines is like nothing we‘ve got so far. But I‘ll find a way to sneak in a mention of the F7 anyhow :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

If it is any consolation, the underpowered F7 is part of what makes the gameplay so interesting. :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

True. Now I know how I can sneak in the F7 :D

6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The questions are tricky! The little mischiefs (me? no way), that's how they are, yhyhy

• Like Like x 1
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The F7's very primitiveness, relatively speaking, makes it a course in railroad physics. You're really driving it and operating all systems; it's the opposite of a "set the AFB and watch the scenery" loco.

• Like Like x 3
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I was very curious about the results. They are a bit unexpected, and at the same time shocking, because paradoxical. On the one hand, game evaluation has suffered from having to adjust the brakes; on the other hand, 'interesting, challenging gameplay' got more votes in the poll than the other responses put together. The participants of this nice forum are usually well informed, hence less drastic opinions here (practically no definitely negative ones).

For a long time, we have been asking for manuals or an academy like the one with Train Simulator available from the game menu. Honestly, I feel sad. Of course, the brakes aren't the only reason to complain. For me, the pros are definitely outweighed. I haven't had so much fun in front of the computer in a long time.

I don't know English very well, especially idioms cause problems for me, but in Poland, we have a saying: the appetite grows with eating. I think this is such a moment for TSW. The version 2 era is full of very good DLCs with very average ratings. This is the stage where the customer takes the advantages for granted and only looks for the disadvantages.

This speaks well about the Game. But just now the details start to count. In that case - where is the product documentation? This is not a small detail at all. I am thinking aloud.

Thanks for your replies!

I chose: overall quality & quantity. But the thirst for challenges has won. Varied, interesting gameplay won. Optimistic!

The punch line. Either you have to get the people here somehow or take 'here' to these people. DTG? The rating does not match the quality, which means something is probably wrong. The information does not reach the people who need it.

This is not a provocation! :D not again...

PS CRR? Love it! BR \o/

• Like Like x 4
  9. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Obviously the gameplay, I don’t think no one wants to stare at a screen listening to a whining AC4400CW that has terrible sounds rolling past curves at 30mph:D

• Like Like x 1