Train Simulator 2021 Core Update - 2nd March 2021

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DTG Jamie, Mar 2, 2021.

1. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

When you make the zip file, in the heading, change .zip to .ap (but change the archive format first)

Attached Files:

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You might Extract files from an *.ap archive but you don't actually Remove the files - they are still there after extraction.

3. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Yes Peter I know.

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Well, typically you change .zip to .ap - not sure what else you could do here. You could always try duplicating a random .ap file and setting AP files to open in 7zip directly, and maybe that would solve the problem by moving everything in the ZIP over to the new, and eventually empty, AP that you then use?

• Like Like x 1
  5. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a no go, I've had this issue for years and there apparently is no solution to it, I suspect it is a system issue rather than a TS one?
    Just have to have all my files out of the ap. file structure!

6. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Right click and rename it: replace .zip with .ap

7. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

I can confirm that the Tadami Line does work with fastload. Instant crash upon attempting to load.

8. ceejay#9369

ceejay#9369 New Member

I have noticed that nonsense twice today.

Aside from that... Here is some more feedback...
    The "Utilities" app, is in need of attention, its very slow, and crash prone. Maybe update the rest of those companion apps in the root simulator folder to 64 bit?

I know it would be useful to add the ability to properly create .ap files for 3rd party Routes and assets, this could be added to the "Utilities" app itself?
    (I myself, and many others, know how to do it manually) having it in a place like the utilities app, would be really handy, for others, who don't understand the file system. (I have seen the mess some people make)

And It would just save me all the trouble of writing such an app in Visual Studio.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. ceejay#9369

ceejay#9369 New Member

Me sitting and writing that application for this is strongly on my mind. I already have a very good Idea, of what it needs to do. (Not just creating the *.ap files themselves, and thats all) Some more things need to be done too, Like getting rid of cruft (.tgt .cost and naked .xml files, but do some comparing of the corresponding .bin, before deleting the .xml etc) then doing the packing of the *.ap file(s) inside their proper folder structure, in their right places.

10. Delticmatt

Delticmatt New Member

Hmmm unless I'm done something wrong I'm not seeing fast times loading. Still same slow loading. I done what it says.

-fastload
    Do I need to apply it or something?

11. Delticmatt

Delticmatt New Member

This isn't working for me. I've done what's it's said - fastload. Still getting very long wait times. Am I doing something wrong?

12. WhippleStripper

WhippleStripper Well-Known Member

My understanding are that there are two requirements. (1) TS is being run off an SSD and (2) you're not using unpacked .ap files. Is this the case for you?

I have to say it works well for me and has been the most important update since 64 bit as it also seems to load scenery tiles faster in game.

13. Delticmatt

Delticmatt New Member

All mine unpacked I believe.

14. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I fail to see how an .AP file would be faster than a 'folder' of files.

An .AP file is simply an archive without any compression.

The problem lies purely with your drive media speed and maybe memory (speed/amount) for temp. files. The rest is CPU and/or GPU

15. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Simple.
    The fast load option either:

- Loads AP file into memory or
    - takes advantage of SSD speed while reading.

As SSD can read large files more quickly then hundreds of smaller files, AP files are more efficient then unpacked.

• Like Like x 1
  16. frankoi1337

frankoi1337 Member

The Wakayama-Sakurai line also crashes upon loading with -fastload.
    Probably something to do with the way Union Workshop packs its .ap files.
    Otherwise the new fastload option is pretty enjoyable !

17. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I purchased Tadami in the latest sale and although the route installed when clicking on a scenario or quick drive it crashed to the steam library. Also Hidaka did the same after installing Tadami, so Uninstalled Tadami and Hidaka worked again. Reinstalled Tadami and Hidaka wouldn’t work again, so did all the usual, verified files, cleared cache and updated all graphic drivers. After this I submitted a ticket to DTG and contacted Steam to confirm my problem that DTG were going to investigate and an hour later received a message from PayPal to inform me my payment had been refunded. Obviously a problem with the route!!!

Since installing Tadami, the screen pictures you see while waiting for a route to load, have disappeared. I now just get a blank black screen with a scrolling bar at the bottom of the page. Weird!!!

I will repurchase the route when the problem is sorted.

18. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Did you try without the -fastload enabled? Tadami and Hidaka work fine for me.

19. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

No before I was able to try this Steam refunded me although I had not asked but informed them I was to be discussing this with DTG Hidaka works with - fastload enabled. I have now lost the picture images shown while waiting to load a route