The Fen Line Phase 1 - Kings Lynn To Ely

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andy.malcolm, Apr 11, 2021.

1. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. SJA

SJA Active Member

First impressions are that it's very nicely made. Track looks like it's been laid all the way down to Cambridge as well. I drove a short stretch and the crossings and OHLE look good.

KX-Kings Lynn runs are now available :D

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for this since it was first showcased a few months ago. It kicks the ATS version into the long grass in my opinion.

Just installed it and had a quick drive run along the line. It's fab. I had to tab past a red at King's Lynn to leave the station in quick drive though. I hope that's the only anomaly I find.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  4. andy.malcolm

5. Pookeyhead

6. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

A review. Installer is throwing a Microsoft.NET framework error for me, contacted the author about it.

Phase 2 goes to Cambridge.

7. Pookeyhead

...a phase three to the ECML woudl be great!

No installer problems here. Not wishing to patronise you, but have you tries running the installer as administrator?

8. martschuffing

Yup, always do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pookeyhead

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Is it connected to Royston?

11. Pookeyhead

No. Track extends to just past Cambridge. If 4Aspect only intend it to go to Cambridge in the next phase(s) then I doubt it ever will.

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So SJA s comments about KX to Kings Lyn is rubbish

I wonder how much of the MML it uses?

13. martschuffing

Managed to install it by running it on my old drive from my old P.C.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SJA

SJA Active Member

Not really Peter. The route is wrong but I thought it might be a possibility to run an operation like that of sorts (in stages) if you own the ATS route. What I did forget however is that there is no OHLE on a large stretch of the Peterborough-Cambridge line so that renders my comment nonsense because you are locked into diesel or steam.

However to call it "rubbish" was a little brusque - there are gaps and holes all over the available sections of route in TS that we just have to play make-believe with or set up imaginary diversions. Same as with Paddington to Plymouth - how often does it go via Didcot in reality? Before SWE to Reading there was no (correct) continuous option to Plymouth from PAD.

The 4Aspect route is very nice though. I drove one of the scenarios earlier. I think this individual/these individuals are clearly very talented and worth keeping an eye on.

15. Pookeyhead

Any way... never mind all that. It's brilliant. Download it, and donate to the developers. They deserve it.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I understand that - I have been around the Hertford Loop on ECML-S a few times for something to do but you implied it was possible to do a Kings X - Kings Lyn run - but the route is not physically connected to any other route.
    So it would be three separate scenarios using different traction

17. SJA

SJA Active Member

They do. Plus from a purely selfish perspective I'd like to give 'em a few beer vouchers as motivation :D

Yes I should have been more clear on that. That is an issue with how I use the simulator versus how others do, as I'm often making chunks of services using different routes (like PAD-PLY using 2 routes in 3 stages). You are quite right Peter.

18. andy.malcolm

19. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

A payware quality route. I'm very impressed.

It makes interesting comparison with Wherry Lines. This is straighter, faster and flatter for longer, with an interesting transition from single to double line running. The bespoke stations are good and they got the river craft correct with not a masted boat in sight.

The number of route dependencies is manageable as well. The Wherry Line dependency is just for the AP assets, you don't need the Wherry Line dependencies installed.

It definitely deserves a donation.

20. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

Totally agree, a wonderful route, better than many of the payware offerings, have really enjoyed giving it a run.
    20210412175109_1.jpg

21. Pookeyhead

It's way better than that. This reminds me of Gu Studio's Brecklands Line; Massively detailed, loads of custom assets, and has very light asset requirements as a result, despite looking better than most routes that have a laundry list of requirements. With the possible exception of MML, I reckon most people already have the requirements for this. The attention to detail is mind bending, and it looks amazing, even on a vanilla TS set up. Run it with all the eye candy thrown at it and it actually looks astounding.

It shows you what a few people who are dedicated and skilled can do. It's been 15 months in the making of a 25 mile route, apparently, and it shows.

However: Nothing's perfect. The AI "crowd" sounds when passengers disembark is annoying, and if you rotate the camera, they suddenly cut off very abruptly. One of the scenarios also dumps a ridiculous amount of AI passengers onto the platform of small stations that would never see so much traffic: I see a patch coming.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  22. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I don't :(

I don't have the MML (or DNL), In fact it's starting to become a reoccurring theme with 3rd party freeware that I want.
    Yeah, I'll get it eventually but as of right now I don't have it and being the tight arse that I am I'm trying to hold out for them on a JT sale.

23. Pookeyhead

Where were you a few of days ago when it was on sale? :) You could have bagged MML for £13.

For a route that looks as great as this, the requirements list if exceptionally light though - that's my point.

• Like Like x 1
  24. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

It says Trent Vally...from Thomson Interactive.

I have Trent Vallent bought through Steam - will this make any difference?

ETA - having clicked on the Trent Valley link on the actual route webpage, it takes you to the Steam version.

25. andy.malcolm

Yes, you only buy it from Steam.

26. inversnecky

Have just installed this - the various "clutter" extras do look good.

20210413115716_1.jpg

27. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Has anyone who has everything except MML tried this route and did they notice anything missing?

28. inversnecky

The more muted colours here look so realistic compared to the irridescent green of the JT MML!

20210413121020_1.jpg 20210413121100_1.jpg 20210413121151_1.jpg 20210413121243_1.jpg 20210413121252_1.jpg

29. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I was all spent out that's where I was.. :D

Oh I don't disagree, I was merely commenting because even though I have 150 Steam dlc's, 36 AP products & 7 JT products (only one JT route though) there's always a requirement I haven't got with any freeware route I'm interested in.

30. Pookeyhead

No one can own everything :)

31. Pookeyhead

Nope.. got all requirements here. I can't exactly pinpoint what MML is being used for though. Try it and see.

32. Pookeyhead

ReShade :)

33. inversnecky

This time I only have to fork out £6 for the ‘clutter’ packs.

34. inversnecky

I noticed the installer for this is quite different to the others, and before it installs the route, it runs a check that the required routes are all present.

I forgot to look if the MML was there but suspect that at this stage it’ll go no further, if it can’t locate the JT MML.

I guess you could download the route and try installing and see what it says?

35. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

After reading all the positive comments on this thread I just had to give this route a go and ... Oh Wow!!!
    It is absolutely stunning, can't believe this has been released for download for just a voluntary donation if you feel like it.
    Credit where credit is due this must have been a genuine labour of love for the amount of detail included.
    20210412174855_1.jpg 20210413140639_1.jpg 20210413141526_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  36. inversnecky

Seconded.

I haven’t had a chance to explore fully yet, but the level of detail is amazing.

The clutter pack and signage really make such a difference on top of the general scenic detail.

37. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Btw it wasn't £13
    Image3.jpg

38. inversnecky

39. inversnecky

You mean the OHLE is simply to die for! :)

• Like Like x 2
  40. SJA

SJA Active Member

It's all pretty tasty innit :D I haven't decided what I like most about the route yet, but it's easily good enough to learn to drive it accurately without the HUD over time, so that puts it very high on my appreciation list by default.

41. Pookeyhead

If I can get AP Track enhancement to work with it, it would make my day, and be the icing on the cake.

I've just done a video of a full run including 317 cold start with every graphical enhancement I can throw at it switched on. It looks lush! I'll post a link when it's uploaded.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I think the requirements only call for the Common Library, not for the Midland Main Line itself. The issue is, unless the Common Library is updated everywhere else, it can't really be called a "common" library and is specific to the route. In which case it becomes a route requirement.

43. Pookeyhead

If that's true, then any recent JT route should do it. However, Northern Lines Electric required JT Common Library too, and at the time, I only had SECML, and I had no signals on Northern lines until I bought a more modern route... so it may require a fairly recent version.

44. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

i don't recall whether the Common Library was provided with SECML. I know Edinburgh-Newcastle has one, and Frankfurt. Kyle Line does too, I believe, as I know there was an update on Steam for that.

45. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When you look at the Signals on the SECML I think they are the Kuju EN444 default signals

46. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Well, I've downloaded this route out of curiosity, but, it's a bit of a mess to start with when you open the installer. It states that you need several routes to be installed, but, the paths given are nothing like what we have in the game in reality, whoever created this part of the installation procedure needs to redo it. The routes LiverpoolManchester and ECMLS are in the RSC folder, not, DTG, so, it'll never find the routes there and gives a red light saying they aren't installed, when they are!!!

Running the route through RW Tools states that the track used plus various lofts are from JT's MML route, so, not having bought that yet stops me from playing on it, and this is what I found when going onto the map, at Ely Station.
    So, I will wait until I can get that JT route and for the guys to carry on with Part 2 down to Cambridge, the rest of the route looks wonderful, lots of custom built scenery objects and it's all laid out very nicely, it reflects the fens superbly well, so, will definately be one to obtain in the future when it's completed.

Cheerz. Steve.

RailWorks64 2021-04-15 23-58-32-86.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Pookeyhead

Worked fine for me... checked everything... it all went green, and I installed it. What do you mean the paths are not like WE have in the game? It has the path I have in the game.. speak for yourself.. LOL What's all this "we" business? It has the default path...

Screenshot 2021-04-16 07.09.31.png

...C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks That's the default location, which the vast majority have... but you know what? See that button next to the path? See what it says? LOL No one needs to redo anything. YOU need to slow down, and read things before complaining.. Besides, what are you on about RSC folders for?
    Errr... you mean like mine shown in the above screenshot? Yeah.. look at all that red!!

It doesn't navigate to ANY folders, only your Railworks folder location. It assumes all assets are in their default locations within the Railworks folder. Where it says DTG ECML South... that's not a folder... it's just the name of the route required LOL. There's nothing wrong with this installer.

Why did you need RW Tools to realise that?... it says you need this right there in the manual... it says so on the website... It says so on all the promotional videos and reviews... It says so right there on the installer that you clearly never read properly. Why did you download a route you do not have the resources for?

There's 'nowt as bad as a bad workman blaming his tools.

Note to everyone else: There is literally nothing wrong with this installer... ignore him.

• Like Like x 3
  48. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people get perturbed when a route that states it requires a route they don't have doesn't work! Likewise, it's not really fair to describe an installer as a mess when it works if you run it as instructed. Just double click it to run and then click continue on the opening screen. As Pookyhead says there is nothing wrong with the installer.

I think this is a great route and it doesn't deserve to be dissed in this way.

The only slight problem I've found is that some of the bespoke assets have their level of detail values set so they only appear at max settings, and as one of them is a prominent trackside landmark that's surprising, but easily fixed if you know how to use the editor.

49. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

The LiverpoolManchester route is under RSC, just like ECMLS, read the folders under RSC not DTG, and the routes are not called Liverpool to Manchester and ECML South are they, so how did yours get installed???
    This is my RSC installation today just for your information, yours is UNDOUBTEDLY the same.

Your game installation is on your C Drive, not everybody's is, is that why there is an anomoly, my game is on an SSD, like a lot of other people's, that is my default path!!

Do some investigation before you start viciously accusing people of misrepresenting things, you have a legal obligation as to what you print across the worldwide internet, harrassing, bullying and intimidation of a Cancer patient is ILLEGAL, read the law, ignorant oaf!!!
    I think you need to edit your post before I take any further action, don't you?

MY RSC installation today.jpg

Fen Line route problem.jpg

50. Robbo13

Robbo13 Active Member

It seems like its not recognizing that you have some routes installed. I would suggest reinstalling these routes and see what happens.

I would also try extracting the .ap file in the Liverpool-Manchester, ECMLS, Trent Valley route folders and see what that does.