Ai Crashes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick Y, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is a scripted thing or whether there's something wrong with my setup of TS21.
    I seem to get derailments of AI randomly when doing standard scenarios or even quick drive runs so it ends the scenarios.
    Any idea what causes it?
    I've just done a QD between Manchester and Liverpool in a class 158 Sprinter and 4 miles from the end (approaching Liverpool Parkway), it popped up that something derailed and it ended my gameplay.

I also did a standard scenario on the JT route SECML (the RAF one) and about 5 minutes in, derailment.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

You sure you didn't SPAD? If you have the game set to not end upon SPAD it will let you happily sail through a red if you aren't paying attention... and hence, run the risk of hitting something, or derailing if points are set against you.

I just ran the RAF scenario for around 10 minutes in and nothing happened.. except me being astonished by how rubbish that default class 166 truly is.

3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Definitely didn't SPAD. Both failures where in the middle of a signal block and it states there was an AI collision (on the Man-Liv QD it said it was a class 59).

Yes, the default 166 is horrible, as is the class 158 and class 142. It's either full throttle or nothing.

4. SJA

SJA Active Member

Very occasionally QDs just seem a bit dodgy with their AI spawning, and the points/paths. I loaded one (can't remember which) on the MML with a 7 car Meridian set as my player train and it loaded with the train in a strange place and already partially derailed :|

Usually my QDs are plain sailing with AI enabled though. I think I've maybe had one or two AI collisions on Quick Drives in recent years. But I tend to just create standard/free roam scenarios of my own these days, or drive other people's standard scenario creations.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

AI does occasionally crash into something, yes. I've had it a few times. It's usually the fault of whoever made the scenario though. I can't imagine what could be wrong with the set up of a TS2021 install to MAKE AI crash.

6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yeah I have them too randomly it seems, I've read that swapping out your player train can cause this as it messes up the scenarios scheduled timings and tbh I cannot remember if it's happened to me on a swapped or intended (for scenario) player train now

7. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Anecdotally, reloading a scenario that was saved whilst in motion can cause AI pathing issues. I don't have proof of this. Just noticed that most of my AI incidents occur under such situations.

8. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

So it's nothing I have done then that causes the ai collisions and derailments.
    I haven't swapped out any locos in scenarios as I don't know how to do that yet and I've never done a save mid route.

The one I encountered on SECML wasn't the RAF overtime one, it was another one and I was going over a bridge (I can't remember which standard scenario it was).
    I also did a QD on SWML (SWC) last night in a Voyager and I saw no ai traffic at all on the entire run from Bristol to Swansea.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not all Quick Drive Scenarios have AI - it depends on how old they are
    When they were first made most people though they would be used for testing so other traffic was not important
    Later as they got more popular other AI traffic has been added to add to the experiance

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I saved Southern Connection (London to Brighton) at my stop at East Croydon and proceeded to have a train stick around Norwood Junction. Coincidentally, this train was the one that was supposed to be in the parking spot next to me at London Victoria. It sat there on two reloads and proceeded to allow Train 16, completely not paying attention, to run smack into it and end my run at Clapham Junction. I even filmed the 2D map the second time.

Coincidentally, before the AI ever crashed, I watched Train 17 cause a scenario end at East Croydon as I was driving around Norbury or Straetham. Just jumped the rail. Scenario over. That was why I reloaded in the first place. But I think the other train (not 17, it worked fine after reload) was literally just stuck up there for some reason before I saved, and suspected it could be related to a caching issue. I cleared the cache, then blew the opening to the scenario a couple of times, finally settling into a perfect run, which also means not going all the way to the buffer because you just do not have time.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021