Trees That Thaw On Sight - Video

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Apr 13, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Hi all

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this an unreal engine thing. I know we have the pop up issue but the pop up and instant thaw at the same time is distracting massively.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

I'm yet to come across that one. Bye bye immersion. :(

• Like Like x 2
  3. chieflongshin

It kind of ruins it. I noticed as well I can fly towards point A thawing as I go, return to point B and then when I spin round point A is frozen again. I'm guessing it's an unreal quirk but there must be a way to avoid it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

This is related to both trees 3D model LODs and shadows detail. For some reason the medium to far distance details are extremely low. You can increase the details and reduce this effect using engine.ini tweaks:

foliage.LODDistanceScale=5
    r.Shadow.DistanceScale=2

Shadows can't go beyond the x2 value so far.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Have you watched the video? It's not just simple LOD pop-in, but trees going from white to green. I doubt engine.ini settings will solve it, it's not a low setting, it's a bug.

Does this happen all the time for you, or on specific seasons, by the way? I havn't seen anyone complain about this one yet, so I suppose it doesn't happen for most people.

6. chieflongshin

It was just on one service I played on Clinchfield I spotted it and it stood out like a sore thumb. Still working through the scenarios. I didn't observe it happening at night, just looks monochrome then but this was a day run. I don't know if this is something which happens on other routes to be fair either as I've never took notice.

7. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Yes i have this also on Console on all Routes, even Forza Horizon 4 has this issue.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  8. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

The effect is related to the shadows view distance as you move. The snow disapearing is a bug for sure (most likely related to LOD0 missing the snow textures on the trees). To reduce the effect the tweaks help, but the bug is a bug, so DTG would need to fix it...

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  9. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Let me guess, First Greenbriar Turn - Part 2 - Dante to Delano?!

First I thought my graphics cards broke, but it affects only this one scenario and it was a horror to complete it.
    Not gameplay-wise, but because of the extremely poor rendering of the trees and bushes.
    White trees turn green in front of your eyes and then back into white behind you.
    White bushes completely without any texture.

20210411143122_1.jpg 20210411150724_1.jpg

10. chieflongshin

Yes it was this one. It was one of the first of a chapter and that brings a bell.