Tsw2 Spg Ice And Snow

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mancunian#7861, Apr 12, 2021.

1. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

Just been playing this and a couple of comments. It opens with a train slowly going past you and a voice saying to jump in the cab ... I can't tell you how long I tried jumping up and trying to get on board before I realised you have to run over to the *other* locos on the other side! How confusing is *that* for a new scenario?!

Next thing was how incredibly long it took to get to the destination once hooked up to the wagons ... seemed to go on for an eternity! :( Then, to rub salt into the wounds, I almost finished it, put the red brake on full power and watched my train go sailing past only to fail the scenario ... so, have to start all over again?! This is why I say, we desperately need some damn checkpoints in this game to prevent that happening!! Bloody ridiculous I have to do all that again! :(

2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Putting brakes on full will most likely causes you to lock the wheels increasing your stopping distance. You are trying to control a mult thousand ton train and momentum is a killer, you can’t treat it like a car, but more like a ship, you have a large amount of tonnage in motion, you need to plan ahead, I am rarely doing more than 10 mph 200 yards out from a stop point.

Freights are not known for being fast and coal drags even less so. It is all about moving tonnage over distance and in the Clinchfield Railroad, over less than ideal road profiles when it comes to grades and curves. While such runs are not exciting to everybody, some, like me, enjoy the challenges and doing the run well is very satisfying. If not your cup of tea, I would recommend one of the many commuter routes where the locomotives are geared for faster acceleration, higher speeds and have better braking ratios.

Scenarios do have checkpoints that you can restart from when you fail an objective that terminates the scenario early. But if the last objective was 8 miles back and you are struggling up a tough grade at 15 miles an hour, you will have a bit to repeat.

Best of luck as you progress and improve your driving skills with experience.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

TBH, I almost always save 1/2 mile or so before a stop point, just in case.

--------------------------
    Generally with a freight train you want to move the train brake (the red handle) to Initial Reduction, well in advance, and watch your deceleration. If you aren't slowing fast enough, increase it a little at a time. You want to ease into a stop.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m not sure why the moving loco is confusing. It’s moving, so you shouldn’t try to be boarding it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mancunian#7861

Thank you very much LeadCatcher. Yes I understand all that now. I will bear it in mind for this and future scenarios and although I wasn't travelling *that* fast IIRC, I left braking too late but as you say, you improve from experience - you learn from it too! :)
    Just one final question please - you say that scenarios *do* have checkpoints. Please can you elucidate because I didn't know that! How/where does one find them and load them? I'm playing on Steam with a PC but I'm sure it's the same on all platforms?

6. mancunian#7861

Thank you for the advice and yes, you do indeed want to ease into a stop. What I *don't* know how to do yet is load a saved game.

7. mancunian#7861

It's confusing because of the voice saying jump up into the cab and a train right in front of you! I'd have thought that was obvious. :)

8. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Pause Menu > Main Menu > Resume saved game
    or
    Choose a route > Resume saved game

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. mancunian#7861

Thank you very much raretrack. Very helpful indeed and yes, I couldn't find the resume saved game before but I can now. Excellent! :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. LeadCatcher

it is one of the menu options that appears on the screen after you finish the run or you get dumped to when the scenario ends after you derail or what not. It only keeps track of the last successfully objective for that run and if you exit out to the main menu, that check point is lost.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mancunian#7861

After the scenario ends - yes I've seen that. It was the option to load a save from the beginning of loading the game I was looking for. Not much use if you've been playing a long scenario and fail near the end then?

12. LeadCatcher

depends on where the last objective you completed was. Especially if you SPAD out and there was an objective just before you did, then the restart would be from that objective.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mancunian#7861

OK got you. Thanks, LeadCatcher, appreciate that.

• Like Like x 1