Poll: Would You Like Access To External Camera Functionality In Tunnels?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by HeyYoPaulie!, Apr 9, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

148 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. Neutral

22 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. No

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

I'm curious to hear your thoughts, as this is a feature I would love to see on all TSW2 routes.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

It was supposed to come for the Clinchfield but for some reason the dev team removed it from the release build, hopefully that issue gets resolved in the future.

• Like Like x 5
  3. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

This is a feature that should be available across the board. On all routes.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Bigphil1592

Bigphil1592 New Member

Yes. I totally get why they were removed for Bakerloo Line but I used to love doing tunnel entrance and exit shots on TSW2020.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

Its annoying that you cant access the camera if the head of the train is out of the tunnel but the tail still in there, on routes like clinchfield with very long trains and many tunnesl there are parts where you never can access the external camera, you also cant look out of the cab side then too.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

It's not as if we're asking for a new feature, this function was taken for granted in the old game. As we're told each dlc is a separate entity, it should be possible to leave Bakerloo as it is and restore this feature to all the other routes.

• Like Like x 8
  7. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I feel like I can’t fully appreciate the scenery without it. I can’t watch my southbound train pull out of the tunnel onto Pool Point Trestle.

I would also love a “passenger” cam that would let me easily check the air gauge in the caboose- it works and it is helpful to know the BP pressure on the rear.

In TSW, we do not have the “passenger view” so viewing the brake gauge requires maneuvering a #3 camera to the door on the long end of the caboose, opening the door, and sliding in to where you can see the gauge.

• Like Like x 4
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

What’s that light? It’s the light at the end of the tunnel. Time to keep pressing 8 on the keyboard in the hope that I can see my train. Time for DTG to end this madness, for the sake of my poor 8 key (and the 2 key and the 3 key who get the same spamming) and my poor bruised fingertip, and for the sake of my tearful eyes that are deprived of the beautiful sight of my train emerging from the tunnel.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Heerenrailfan92

Heerenrailfan92 Active Member

I'm not a fan of the camera system either, as stated before I want to see my trains emerge from tunnels, On the Arosa line I want to place my camera outside the open tunnels to make fantastic railway shots, and I want to explore the stations in bakerloo without leaving my damn train, Until this day I still haven't seen all the underground stations in good detail because the camera is locked to one position

• Like Like x 2
  10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

It’s frankly annoying how the whole camera system doesn’t work because the last waggon is still in the tunnel.
    Watching your train entering and exiting is one of the graphical joys of the game.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

To me, it seems as though they've tried to fix something that was never actually a problem and by doing so they've just made the player experience worse. I do hope they revert it to how it was in TSW 2020 for all routes as it's been a bugbear of mine ever since TSW2 was released.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  12. HeyYoPaulie!

Hi DTG JD - can you pass this feedback on to the team please - there's a clear wish to see this functionality available in all TSW2 routes.

Thank you.

13. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that the decision to lock the player (and camera) out of tunnels was part of DTG's deal with Transport for London, as the latter does not want to encourage walking through tube tunnels. Why this has affected every other route in TSW, I have no idea. As a player just trying to take screenshots or watch my train emerge/enter a tunnel, it is just an annoyance.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Especially when Matt showcased on Thursday that you can restart a camera if it gets stuck, there shouldn't be a problem when it pops through a tunnel, way better than no outside cameras at all in the tunnels. You can even use the arrow keys to use the cameras in the sides of the loco, when in a tunnel. I've done the Bertha service on CRR, you're filling hoppers with a single F7A having its cab face the cars... and you go through a tunnel a lot... so half the service you're stuck watching a hopper obstructing your view completely with no way out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

It would be nice if no.2 camera worked as well as no.2 on TS2021, instead of jumping all over the place when passing an upright, also arrive at a station on no. 3 cam then it changes to no. 2 cam before you leave. in my opinion no's 2 and 3 cams are a mess.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  16. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

100% this should be fixed. No-brainer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Not sure what you want to see inside the tunnels using the full external camera. However, one of the many crazy things introduced with TSW2 is that the external camera "unlocks" when the entire train is out of the tunnel, not only the first loco. This makes no sense at all especially with very long trains when you gain back access to the camera a long way past the tunnel.

18. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I agree. We should be able to see at least the portion of the train which is outside the tunnel.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

It would help set up the camera for lineside shots or screenshot contests of trains exiting tunnels, or nearby scenes located near a tunnel portal, which you cannot do as the camera is locked until the entire train is out of the tunnel.

• Like Like x 2
  20. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I would like that feature to be back in the game. There really was no reason why we can't go inside the tunnels in free cam like we could in tsw2020. Bring it back please. It shouldn't be difficult to implement

• Like Like x 1
  21. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Have DTG confirmed why it’s been removed from Clinchfield?

It was working in the streams before release but doesn’t work in the release version and I can’t see anything stating why.

22. HeyYoPaulie!

tallboy7648 Blacknred81 fabristunt Bigphil1592 Daniel Bloch Tonto62 JustWentSouth stujoy michael hooley Callum B. Heerenrailfan92 davidh0501 Trenomarcus Monder Disintegration7 geloxo WaveyDavey Northerner

Thank you all for your feedback.

The findings of this poll suggest an overwhelming preference to have external cameras unlocked when inside tunnels.

I have asked DTG JD to feed this back to the team - just waiting on a response / acknowledgement from DTG that this is on their radar, and will hopefully make its way into the game soon.

Watch this space.

• Like Like x 6
  23. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

As I’ve already said though I think the question regarding CRR needs asking separately as CRR obviously had it in place in all the pre-release streams but lost it on release and even Matt didn’t know why on the release stream.

24. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

No problem. This is a feature that shouldn't have been removed in the first place in my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  25. blaze111csx

blaze111csx Well-Known Member

good add it to the list:
    fix brakes
    fix number lights
    fix sounds
    fix physics
    fix FPS drops in scenarios
    fix horn on F7 because right now it just doesn't sound right
    add horn for SD40
    fix 30 minor errors (aprox.)

26. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Me, watching Matt on the Clinchfield stream using the free camera inside the tunnels :D

Me, thinking that this feature would be available on all routes from now on :cool:

Me, thinking that it would even be a core update and would be possible on all previous TSW2 routes :love:

Me, after seeing that it is not even available in Clinchfield :(

• Like Like x 5
  27. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

As you saw Matt demonstrate on stream we are working to add the use of free cameras while you are inside tunnels. And I completely understand why this is highly requested for Clinchfield. (Long trains = stuck in the cab for long times)

We had hoped this would be implemented for Clinchfield and it was looking like that was going to be the case on launch day. That hasn't happened.

We came across an issue when trying to add the feature, it is causing a knock-on effect with other routes. At the moment the free cam ability can't be added to Clinchfield without impacting how other content works. So we are currently unable to add the feature until this is resolved.

I do not have an exact timescale for when this will be implemented, but I will communicate with you as soon as I have more updates to share.

• Like Like x 5
  28. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Why didn't you warn us then? You showcased a feature and then didn't tell us is wasn't going to be available. This sound like bad practice... I'm not saying DTG scammed its clients, but the leap to that is getting smaller with time...

I'm happy I haven't bought it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

We need it implemented on all routes with tunnels, not just Clinchfield. Bakerloo is the only one you could legitimately leave as it is now. It's not a new feature, it's something we took for granted in the old game that has been taken away in the new game.

• Like Like x 5
  30. HeyYoPaulie!

Thank you for the update Nat, and for being open and transparent about the current status - your candour is very much appreciated :)

It's great to hear that the feature is being added to more routes, in addition to Clinchfield. This will significantly enhance the enjoyment of all affected routes for many players.

I look forward to your updates on this in due course once you guys have more to share.

Thanks again and wishing you a brilliant day,

Paulie.

• Like Like x 2
  31. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. I am sure others will complain about it being pulled at the last minute, I appreciate the concern of those knock on effects. Looking forward to the feature being released when all the kinks are worked through.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I don't know. Yes, it would be good to have this feature, particularly on a route like CRR which has so many tunnels. But, for me, there are so many other issues that need attention. I'm totally mystified by the fact that some issues get an immediate response from the moderators, whereas a serious problem like the dynamic brake problem with the EMD locos or the DPU issues are seemingly ignored. And I think these are more serious problems, since they can be " a game breaker" for SPG, CRR and PC. I get the distinct impression that a problem with, say, the train painting app will get urgent attention but "real" issues get no traction, or are even acknowledged. Well, I've spent my 2 cents and it will probably get me exactly nowhere. But I feel a little better. Thanks.

33. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

In some cases like this one I have the answer to what's causing the problem, in other cases it can take a while longer to get a confirmed response. As we often to investigate ourselves. No problem ever get's ignored, but it can sometimes take a bit of time to get you solid answers.

34. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I would not expect an immediate answer or solution to any problem, major or minor. What is often missing, in my view, is a simple acknowledgement that you're aware of the issue. I've neither seen nor heard anything about the two issues I mentioned. But, thanks for the quick response to my post.

• Like Like x 2
  35. QNS Chris

QNS Chris Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing when I discovered the hard block attempting to enter the tunnels on foot. I understand TfL's position (assuming the hard block is at their behest), but I don't see how in-tunnel cameras on the Bakerloo would conflict with discouraging real-world track-walking.

Either way, DTG needs to add (or re-add) the in-tunnel camera feature.

• Like Like x 2