Clinchfield Constructive Feedback Thread.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Apr 12, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Hi Devs

I just wanted to share something that stood out at me when fighting the throttle trying to get the train moving in the snow. I can't hellp but think whilst there is from what I understand minimal ambience and the team were trying to get it to look like a moonlit scenario its just a bit 'TOO' monochrome.

Screen shots below. Surely there must still be some colour somewhere?

If anyone else want to add and try and build one thread please feel welcome.

Screenshot (26).png Screenshot (27).png Screenshot (28).png Screenshot (29).png

• Like Like x 1
  2. cp1400

cp1400 Member

There are some "repeating patterns" on the track side terrain and some hill sides that have the same repeating pattern (Something that is not exlclusive to this dlc, and it's something that Dovetail could really improve).
    Then, from those screenshots, I'd say the obvious "bright nights" are still something that I personally don't think look pretty, especially on routes in the middle of the mountains like this one for instance).

• Like Like x 2
  3. chieflongshin

Agree. I just find it’s a bit too two tone. It reminds me a bit of the game limbo. I guess a more diverse black and white palette perhaps would increase development time. I just find it hard to believe it’d be that bland, perhaps if there was less light pollution they should have worked on a better night time skybox, more stars etc, little galaxy.

all time though eh

4. chieflongshin

Another thing I'd like to feedback is the lack of things happening on the route. I'm growing to like this route more than I would but here's a question to the Devs

Why does nothing move on this route? Surely this having a predefined set of movements is similar to the scalextric cars? Why am I taking coal here if no one is there work with it. I think it would be a nice touch seeing these spinning. I don't expect GTA levels of movement but this looks like a postcard when driving by. Surely every scenario isnt a Sunday lunch time ::D

Screenshot (31).jpg

5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I love how the F7 sounds through my subwoofer. It's glorious!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Maybe just give us a couple of people yodelling (responsibly) around mines and tipples, so I and my secondman are not the only living being on the route. :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Try reshade, when on PC, for pitch-black :D PS Or set the clouds to maximum.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2021
  8. Oli R C

Oli R C Member

Yeah, it has a brilliant low-down rumble that is sorely lacking in pretty much any other loco, at least that I'm aware of. Surprised more people aren't talking about the sounds, actually. It's particularly good, I think ...well apart from track sounds, but nothing new there... Otherwise, very good. :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

I remember a scenario a while back that featured track workers in orange suits standing next to the track. It was the first time we had people in the game that weren’t passengers. I hope they add more of this kind of thing.

10. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Even if it´s realistic in the F7 the horn hanging rope just blocks you to see the speedometer. I mean... Do we really need to have that in front of our face? It´s there in the cab, sure, but could driver POV be adjusted a bit so that rope is not hitting our nose nor blocking us to see one of the most important indications for driving? As soon as you start moving this bounces and its a bit disturbing.

TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping 2021-04-13 19-46-41.png

Cheers

• Like Like x 7
  11. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Thing is, pictures of the cab of a Clinchfield F7 are hard to find, but the few I have seen only have a single horn rope, not the 2 seen in game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, the ones I've seen had just the one rope, though I recall seeing an F3 with 2.

13. chieflongshin

I've found another thing on Freemont ascent. Check the horn out - I keep pressing (right hand side of screen) and its not working. Only scenario I've had this on. Not sure if its a one off prize of me or not.

14. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Happens all the time in the SD40 for me
    Edit: And the bell, too. Oh engine sounds ...

• Like Like x 1
  15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Welcome to the club, hyperlord :)
    For me, it probably depends on the performance. In places where my fps are low, the sound breaks down sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I feel the mainline journey scenarios are a bit tedious. It is just running the entire line and after some time, it just becomes a chore. I have not gotten to other journey scenarios yet. I am thinking about switching over to one of the branch journeys to see how they look like.

• Like Like x 1
  17. breblimator

breblimator Guest

They are also thoughtful. The first is snowy uphill. The second one, apparently the same, but a light manifest train.
    This allows us to look at the same problem from a different angle (better HP per Ton ratio).
    E.t.c.

Of course, AB is always AB. You're right :)

18. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Starting up the McClure Shifter - Part 1 - Preparation scenario, the locos were not setup and slides backwards as soon as the scenario starts. I hope that DTG will get someone to take a look at all the scenarios and make sure they work properly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Haha.. True, I have a great appreciation to the Engineers who drive these trains now. But with the cameras locked in tunnels and the perspective locked inside the cab, I can't even gawk at the train like I usually do, so it just becomes almost like a job.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chieflongshin

There does seem to be a lot of the route locked in cab because of tunnels

21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Hope this will be fixed!

• Like Like x 1
  22. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

About the horn ropes I just found pics with two ropes tied to the control column or tied together. Probably not exactly the CRR model but clearly the engineer got tired of them as well :D But they should be two as those locos have front and rear horns.

I think in game we just need that the default driver view position is moved some centimeters ahead towards windshield or the wooden handler is adjusted a bit. As things are now it´s not confortable for driving at all. We should know that there´s a handler there as it´s part of the loco interior but not have it in our face as I explained before.

0bb7c4a1eb2a9c035cddd0af6a2989cd.jpg

b0461940ff94f212aaf9fd7c951c11c5.jpg

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. chieflongshin

Visibility looks a lot better in those, make clinchfield look like a neglected train

24. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Yeah but in those pics the camera is not placed at the driver´s seat but closer to the door. Or at least that´s what looks like as the driver seat can be seen ahead.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  25. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

According to the photos, the CRR 800, the surviving Clinchfield F7, has only one horn rope. Not sure if that was changed after Clinchfield era and it originally had only two, but now it only has one.
    upload_2021-4-14_0-48-28.png
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Once the scenario starts, apply the loco brakes to stabilize the consist... yes that shouldn’t happen, you should get the train properly tied down upon starting the scenario

But usually, I guess from my days of going to sea and my time taking flight lessons, I never take anything for granted.

Every scenario, I take the tImes to check that my consist is properly set-up. As the old saying goes “ A stitch in time saves nine”. I like to look at this a simulator were you as the engineer are responsible for the condition of your consist, if I stall out on a grade because a trailing unit wasn’t properly configured, then that reflects poorly on me, not the yard master.

Yes, I might be late on the start time, but can usually make it up in the run. I know not everyone wants that level of realism, but I find it very satisfying to correct a problem then be able to make a good run.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  27. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

This would be a great route to have a freeroam scenario or service, with the ability to get a green signal to the mainline with the dispatcher. Even if that meant having just our single train travel on the mainline during it.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ht-57

ht-57 Member

-In trying the scenario editor "off the rails mode" I found that the dynamic brake does not function on The gp38-2 and the sd40-2. (CRR did have a number of these units on their roster so it would be an awesome edition)
    -With the sd40 it would be gr8 if the dev's could get the air flow meter to work so you could tell when the brake pipe is close to charged instead of relying on the hud. Oddly enough the Dash 8 works as advertised on this route, even the air flow meter works but sadly it shows max flow long after the system is charged which has been an issue with unit since its release.
    - As stated previously, the repeating patterns are very striking because the route looks so outstanding that it makes them really stick out
    - Moss prep plant for was a an intragal part of the crr operation, where the raw coal from the tipples was brought to be processed before being sent out to its final destination. yet in the sim, it looks and seems as an after thought that is incomplete ( an excellent example of the repeating pattern is there btw) there are no stock scenarios or timetable included to reflect its operation in the sim, a sorely
    missed opportunity for alot of operations imho.

• Like Like x 1
  29. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This too. I’ve been up and down the main line, what there is of it, several times now and it gets boring. The scenery is nice but essentially one long rocky and wooded trough. With many of the branch or loading tasks bugged and subject to the save game vagaries, it becomes difficult to find something to do. This is one route that would definitely benefit from a Run 8 free roam style of play with car tagging and forwarding. This would allow you to receive consists, break them down to make up locals, fill at the loaders then return to the main yards and reform into outgoing trains. This would also get around the limitations of having objective markers while switching and loading, as in the flawed Limited Power scenario. My yard, I can split the wagons and put them where I like or there is space until the loading is done. The AI failing to move a rake of cars from the defined road would then no longer be an issue. In fact, if I want the AI to assist, I give it the instructions.

If we are to get any more of these American style freight routes, this is something I would urge DTG to consider.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I mean what else would you expect from a mainline run? Someone has to move that freight from yard to yard, and are usually pretty straightforward (Both in game and in real life).

Also, it would be nice if custom livery's for the rolling stock would appear in both timetable and scenarios. Getting kind of boring seeing the same Clinchfield Boxcar 24/7 (The Reefers get a pass).

• Like Like x 1
  31. OldVern

There are main line runs and there are main line runs... Something like Tehachapi or the BN Funnel never gets stale plus there is usually plenty of other traffic to add meets and interest.

32. breblimator

breblimator Guest

When I was considering working on the railroad in Poland, it turned out that I am too old. Maybe they would let me dry the wagons :) The announcement, apart from numerous requirements from the candidate, contained information: monotonous, repetitive work, journeys from point A to point B, etc.

Something like that. In addition to interesting scenarios, TSW in the case of CRR (and not only) has a Timetable. These are, in fact, the A-B sequences, or, as in the case of CRR, more interesting and complex, some of them.

There could be some irregularities ('Zusi'?), But in the case of single-track, it wouldn't change much.

Flight simulators and other activities of this type (transport) look similar. Of course, I agree, they might try to spice it up \o/
    PAX

33. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I would like to add, each of these services (mainline) is a very clever configuration. The order is also not accidental but is intended to illustrate something (thorough comparison). Of course, the key (most interesting) is starting and braking.

Heavy coal train, snowy uphill with 'modern' SD 40
    Bad weather against light manifest train and SD 40 again
    F7 in adequate conditions - feels different?
    First of sequence - downhill with empties
    The second one - a very interesting train!

You can act as a helper there! Just go to the pair of SD 40s at the end and manually add a few notches.

E.t.c.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2021
  34. LeadCatcher

I am afraid I can’t agree, I have the Tehachapi loop in TSClassic and it can get boring as any other route regardless of the amount of traffic if you run it over and over. However, unlike real life where an engineer would run one area over and over, in TSClassic and TSW2, you have the option of going to a completely different location and type of running to keep thing fresh.

I had a consulting gig in northern Italy, where the wife rented a mountain chalet near the Swiss border and I had to commute daily down mountain roads to what we would call the interstate then drive around 70 kilometers to get to the airbase... even that got “boring” but none the less required my attention.

Mix it up a little, switch routes, do a passenger run, I very seldom try and run one route exclusively to complete all the journeys in order. Nothing wrong with wanting to do so, but would then would not complain it is boring....

• Like Like x 1
  35. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Issues on single track routes like this often lead to very long wait times. Considering the expectations of some that would go down as a fault/issue/omg type thing which I don't think will be tolerated by some players. I would be happy to see total random events personally as per real life but I think too much realism isn't wants desired.

Maybe with the rush hour concept DTG are dipping their toe into a more random style of train running but I doubt we will see anything like a real railway when it doesn't go to plan.

• Like Like x 1
  36. LeadCatcher

Just posted a video in another thread were a train stalled out on grade on the CRR, trains backed-up for hours. One southbound in the hole waiting for the line to clear was there for over 6 hours. I can just hear the comments that would be in the forums if that was replicated in TSW.... :)

• Like Like x 2
  37. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

The loco is setup as Trail 26, so the loco brake doesn't do anything until you flip it to lead. I had to fumble around to quickly do that. But this is supposed to be a parked loco so I would assume whoever left it there last would have at least put the handbrakes on.

38. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Yeah, you are right. But the problem is you set a throttle position and then just sit and stare. It feels like you are doing nothing, particulary during the ascent. It would be fine, if we can get out to a external camera and then gawk at the train, but we are locked into the first person camera majority of time due to tunnels. Arosa Linie is another routeo where the ascent is just set the speed and forget but atleast there, majority of route you are outside, looking at the shiny red locos and train chugging along which makes it a bit less tedious.

• Like Like x 2
  39. breblimator

breblimator Guest

During the uphills, I listen to music and play chess on the Internet. I recommend!

40. OldVern

Or read the Expanse and Last Kingdom novels...

• Like Like x 1
  41. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That rope shouldn't even be there, since it actuates the "rear horn" that doesn't exist on this model of F7.

42. LeadCatcher

And hence why you check the status of your equipment when starting your journey -- never assume it was left in the correct state.

• Like Like x 2
  43. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Ravi teases us. He is probably already in the third chapter. He must not like CRR very much :)

44. chieflongshin

I think I recollect Matt saying there was lots of interesting things to do when they were pitching this route. Well to be fair other than a couple of coal shuffles and waiting for a train to pass I’m inclined to disagree.

The trains are great, the route looks good but it’s a lifeless screensaver journey at times. I have to say I’ve walked off and done the washing up and done a few chores leaving it running.£25 screensavers.

I’d never dare to do that doing the pzb fandango on the German routes. Man I can’t even get downstairs to switch the kettle on with sifa active.

I think the cameras need to be accessible or there needs to be more movement on the route, animals, birds , weather, moving cars (on other routes and I don’t think I’ve seen one here but could be wrong) . Smoke from the factories , diggers moving about and looking like they are working etc.

It needs life!

• Like Like x 2
  45. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

lol.. Not much of a reader anymore. I am running through all the train related content on youtube when the service is running. I found a couple youtubers who do mainly UK content and one does London particularly. Both are super informative. I am mostly running the train services sort of in the background which I hate. I am going to skip American freight routes going forward and stick with UK and German routes. I was originally not going to buy Clinchfield because I don't really like SPG, but the F7 operation sounded interesting. Alas, it has come rushing to me why I don't like SPG.

• Like Like x 2
  46. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You will evolve. Don't defend yourself. You will not escape your destiny! Trainsss :D

47. chieflongshin

I’d echo this. The trailers and the f7 snagged me. Sand patch grade has grown on me a lot but i am finding the lack of life and issue. I too find the British and German routes seem to have so much more happening

48. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The European scenery is more urbanized. At least this applies to the routes in TSW. So maybe it is less monotonous. Only I miss this monotony often. Another specificity. The game reflects this.

• Like Like x 1
  49. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Honestly, you haven't played TSW enough! And who are "we" anyway? I, for one, have seen work-folk on numerous occasions in both scenarios and timetable activities. Unfortunately, they are mostly static, which can seem much too artificial. Some Trainz routes feature moving humans, but they don't really look very human; the moving (and mooing, etc.) Trainz animals, on the other hand, are a great improvement over DTG's taxidermy versions. We just can't have everything we want, can we?

50. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I find these images quite natural, beautiful, and fascinating. I'm looking forward to encountering them as I drive.

• Like Like x 1