Sand Patch Grade Banking Comm

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Apr 3, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. solicitr

I just had me a thought thunk while thinkin'

What if the notoriously wonky dynamic brakes on the AC4400 are a result of our mistakenly turning ON the DP fuse in the helper lead? What that would amount to is two lead engines both trying to send instructions at the same time, one which in the game model doesn't affect the throttle but does affect the DB? Do the AC's DB work correctly when running light loco or without helpers?

• Like Like x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Much research has already been done on the AC4400 here. Some led to verbal skirmishes. Don't get me involved! :D
    But that's a good lead!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Let's clear one thing up first: The wonky brakes refer to the dynamic brakes decreasing in power with higher speed and vice versa. Is that correct? That seems to be my observation. Also, actually increasing them works in a very wonky way as in little power is applied ~50% of the throttle range and then seems to jump up a lot in the last ~50% of the throttle range. Is that also correct? It's been months since I've actually taken an AC44 for a run so my memory may be failing me here.

If so, I experience those problems with no rear DPU lead DP fuse on (as I showed in my video). That seems to rule out what you suggest.

• Like Like x 2
  5. solicitr

Hmm. Okay. Well, it was just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Costpap

Costpap Member

Are you sure that you're referring to PS4 users? As far as I know, no PS4 users have been able to get Ctrl - to actually work. Although, to be fair, my PS4's language is set to Greek and not English, so maybe this could be why it's not working on my end.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lamplight

Tried it with both PS4 and external keyboard set to English and it doesn‘t work (on basic PS4).

• Like Like x 2
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Perhaps You are right. This could be PS issue.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lamplight

That‘s my assumption. I read about concoles (not sure whether it was XBox or PS) not having a working brake key (on an external keyboard) for the longest time. Perhaps this is a similar case.

• Like Like x 2
  10. casssp

casssp Member

This past weekend I found a spreadsheet with simplified settings here somewhere. Please someone have the link? I'm still looking...

• Like Like x 1
  11. solicitr

• Like Like x 2
  12. casssp

casssp Member

That was exactly what I was looking for about 3 hours ago, thank you very much!

I used it on Saturday, but I didn't save it or bookmarked it.

A big thank you to the spreadsheet creator!!! :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. johnny69wells

johnny69wells Active Member

Is the spread sheet, for the pusher engine's at back train?

14. solicitr

All of them

• Like Like x 1
  15. johnny69wells

johnny69wells Active Member

I'm having some trouble, with Cumberland Charge, connect engines front of train. Then when going forward, to were you supposed to stop. The engines go into the red, then they won't work, can't get any grip up slope. What I'm wrong with this?

16. digger#5930

digger#5930 New Member

The written description and video for how to set up the diesel locomotives are fantastic. Thank you to both for doing those. I have a much better understanding of how the brakes and distributive power works. One question, in the AC4400CW, there are two computer screens for setting up the brakes and for selecting lead or trail. Does it matter which screen we use? They both look to display the same thing, but in the video when setting up the lead unit, he used the computer to the right and when setting up all the other locomotives, he used the screen on the left. Any particular reason for that? Otherwise, great tutorial and much more informative than the game training. Thank you!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Lamplight

Just convenience since the left screen is easier to read without sitting down and the right screen is first when cycling the cameras while being seated. The screens are identical and it doesn‘t matter which one you use.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Noodle Noggin

Noodle Noggin New Member

Thank you sooooo much for this. I had pretty much given up on finishing half the Sand Patch sessions because I couldn't figure out how to get the bankers working. And as a result, any time I had to stop for a red light, I could never get the train moving again. For me, it was the radio breaker on the lead that was never turned on and the in-game help never tells you that.

19. txElvis

txElvis New Member

Looking for more clues on completing SPG. I followed the instructions posted here and it seems to work as it should. When I "fly" back to the rear MU lead and change the throttle or reverser on the lead loco of the front MU, the throttle and reverser move on the lead loco of the rear MU. Double checked all the brake settings.

But nothing. It won't move. I've done this more times than I care to admit and I'm still dead. I'm going to try again with SPG in TW3 just to see.

I'm starting to think it is the game. Once or twice, the entire train began to roll backwards after I released the brakes. And I could move it backwards. Other times it won't move at all. (Which caused me to double check all the brake settings again.)

I appreciate everyone's efforts to explain this to a noob.

20. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

I've recently completed most of SPG (all scenarios and many of the timetable services) in TSW2.
    I followed the settings in that Google Doc linked in a post above.

I derailed numerous times during the "Powering America Part 2" scenario, when descending the mountain. I eventually completed this mission by stopping the train and turning the banking loco into dead weight (no radio, no engine, no brakes) and braking only with the front tandem.
    There's a whole discussion somewhere on these forums about that scenario.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  21. txElvis

txElvis New Member

Thanks. I must have screwed up the brakes.

22. txElvis

txElvis New Member

Used the spreadsheet and successfully completed SPG. Embarrassing number of hours spent on this.
    Just my opinion, but if the rear MU has an AI crew, that crew should be smart enough to setup their locomotives without me having to run back there and do it for them.

I appreciate everyone's contributions. Thank you.