Scenario Creation In Heavy Haul And Nec.

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by Harmer, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Harmer

Harmer New Member

NOTE: Due to most of the trains and rolling stock suddenly disappearing on the last update by DTG, the scenarios "Long Day" and "UX-78 to Trenton" are no longer playable.

Great to see a nice freight quasi-sandbox mode in the new NEC DLC.
    Pending an editor, this is the best for scenario creation so far and features a decent sized run in tandem with the AI passenger service.
    Maybe we can get some of the other scenario makers to post their stuff here in this thread?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Harmer

Harmer New Member

Just posted my sixth scenario in the Steam guides - five in Heavy Haul and my first in NEC.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Harmer

Harmer New Member

NEC Scenario: UX-78 to Trenton.
    Follow the illustrations below to run the scenario:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

First of all, let us all praise Harmer for taking the initiative by discovering how to script scenarios for TSW despite the lack of a "real" scenario editor. For those of us familiar with driving TS scenarios, this is a very different experience, but it works and works well. I completed "Trenton UX-78" today, making a number of errors along the way (and making frequent use of saves and resumes as I went along), but those were my fault, not Harmer's. The process involved here both stuns and baffles me. How does Harmer know where and when to start a scenario? How does he find these precise places and times where and when both engines and freight cars are available for use? And that's just the beginning!

Hoping that this is not too much of a spoiled, let me note that some of the freight cars involved in Trenton UX-78 have their handbrakes applied. It's up to the engineer to determine which cars are in this state and know how to handle it.

Thanks again, Harner!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Harmer

Harmer New Member

Thanks Clarksville for the missive.
    It's actually not that hard to put together and I'd certainly recommend peeps try their hand at it.
    Here are a few tips:
    *Examine the lines you are able to use without the problems of coming up against the embedded red lights set by the programmers.
    *Next, pick a time of day to spawn in walking (daylight is obviously best) and check availability of locos and rolling stock in the area concerned.
    *The hardest bit is visualizing the tentative routes you want to take on the map screen. Then it's really just a matter of hopping in the loco and doing the run and making notes at the same time.
    *Then, try not to make the instructions too easy - having to work out how to execute the scenario to completion is part of the fun of it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Harmer

Harmer New Member

NEC SCENARIO: Like Clockwork.
    Follow the illustrations below to run the scenario:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Harmer

Harmer New Member

NOTE: Due to most of the trains and rolling stock suddenly disappearing on the last update by DTG, the scenarios "Long Day" and "UX-78 to Trenton" are no longer playable.
    Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible, hopefully.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

This is exactly the type of thing that is needed right now to keep the interest in TSW alive. The service runs for passenger trains are mostly the same old thing, and the freight ones can also be a bit dull. However, extra freight scenarios allow the use of different vehicles and provide a useful distraction whilst waiting for a proper editor to appear.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

Another Harmer scenario! Hooray!!! I just have one question and it's about that final instruction: how does one enter the truck and drive it away? Is there a tutorial available? Thanks again.

10. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

11. LastTrainToClarksville

NS, S?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Harmer

Harmer New Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. LastTrainToClarksville

Another great scenario! This one really demonstrates the enormity of the Redcar Oar Terminal. I'm pretty sure that I spent more time hunting for the next destination than I did driving.

Wouldn't it be great if the 2D maps included track and siding labels? Even greater if pressing a key while in the 3D world popped up those labels?

Thanks again for your work -- and don't stop now. I, for one, would appreciate more TVL shunting scenarios.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019