Lets Wait 6 Hours/how To Hide This?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Kazick, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Kazick

Kazick Member

This has been an issue since day 1 of TSW1 and on into TSW2 that has bugged the hel out of me.

So I loaded up a route and went into explore on foot mode. After walking around and moving a few things in the yard I walk over to another train in the yard and climb on. I then get this pop in the corner of my screen and it just doesn't make any sense.
    20210414090050_1.jpg
    2 things.
    1. Why do I have to wait 6 hours to run a train that is ready to go now!? That's not at all prototypical.
    2. Once I get off this train how do I git rid of this? It never seems goes away even if I get on another locomotive.

2. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It is just sitting there idling but isn't due for departure for some time. It is a shame that trains sit idling in yards/sidings/sheds for hours, really there should be a mission where the train is made cold and dark, and another where you have to start it up from cold and dark some hours later.

When you sit in the driving seat of another train and agree to take it over then that should disappear.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kazick

Kazick Member

Read this:

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is very prototypical as this service will start exactly at the indicated time according to the schedule.
    Whether this timetable is prototypical is another matter.

Once you sit in the engineer chair, it is as if you have appropriated this service - it will not disappear.

5. Kazick

Kazick Member

Its defiantly not prototypical.

6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Because? I would very much like to ask for a comprehensive explanation :)
    Thank You in advance!

7. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Why not? If the service isn't scheduled to run until a certain time - why should it run early just because you are sitting in the seat?

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. Kazick

Kazick Member

Because its losing money that's why. You don't build a train in the yard 6 hours before its ready to go. You start building the train 6 hours before its ready to go, then in 6 hours when you are done building it, it can run. Other wise it's just sitting there burning fuel and taking up space not making any money.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Turn off all those locomotives and the problem will be gone.
    No kidding - I have to agree with you a bit here!

• Like Like x 1
  10. LeadCatcher

Obviously you haven't been around many working railroads, especially single track operations - yours isn't the only train on the schedule and that train might be pre-empted by higher priority trains 0r there is congestion on the line

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kazick

Kazick Member

Oh I have. And I am well aware of how scheduling works. Sitting for 6 hours isn't right. The only time a train should be sitting anywhere for 6 hours is if the crew has timed out and a relief crew is being brought in. And even then, it shouldn't take 6 hours to get a crew any where.

Yes there are other trains on the line that will delay it departing. Yes there is a time it should be scheduled. The issue is that the train is ready way too early for it set departure time. So someone who programed the timetables in TSW had no idea what they where doing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

relax

• Like Like x 1
  13. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

If we’re talking US freight trains there have been scenarios where trains have crewed up at a red signal and sat at said red signal for the entirety of their 12 hours.
    In yards on the other hand, passenger trains will be chilling until needed, no reason to take apart the trains if they’re just gonna be used later.
    Freight trains can be held up for numerous reasons at yards, perhaps there’s no point in calling a crew of the train won’t be able to leave for another 12 hours due to traffic. Or maybe that train needs to travel over Amtrak and can only go at a specific window in the nighttime.
    Waiting is prototypical.

the game on the other hand has a prescribed timetable that won’t just change because you hopped on the engine, the AI has to have. Strict schedule if you weren’t taking that train

• Like Like x 2
  14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s there making the place look fuller before it is used later in the day on a service in the fictional timetable, rather than there being an empty yard all the time. You wouldn’t really notice it was there for six hours unless you were walking around for six hours, and keeping an eye on it. It’s not losing any money because it’s not real life. DTG haven’t got time to be making everything prototypical. It’s easy just to have a train sitting there adding to the scenery until the service is needed. Randomly moving things around the yard isn’t prototypical either but it’s what you say were doing before happening upon this train. It’s not really a problem. To get rid of the wait notification you have to sit in another train that has an active service at some point later, at which time you will get the wait notification for that service and so on if you keep swapping trains.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

Is this thread a joke? In reality, it does happen that a train is parked from, for example, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Take another train if you want to take the train at 8 a.m.

• Like Like x 4
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

his point is that it is running and consumes fuel, it pollutes the environment :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

Then he should turn off the train completely

• Like Like x 1
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I suggested this approach to him

• Like Like x 1
  19. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Well that one's because in service mode trains can't be "cold".

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Kazick

Kazick Member

I'm well aware of your first point. My point here is, if there is going to be a train sitting in the yard with a scheduled time, make it more realistic game play wise. A 1 hour wait would be better for the player. Yes crews have had to sit for their whole 12 hours at sidings, I've seen it many times. Hel, I've spent 3 hours in the hole playing Run8 because another crew was having issues coming up the hill.

The two issues I have are that the little pop up wont go away. And that its the only train in the yard at that start time that heads out on the main. Ideally having the schedule have more trains that it could spawn in that have closer to the set time of day start times. The only solution I have came to was exit that session and change the time to be closer to what that particular trains start time is.

Thats not at all my point.

21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Nonsense. Consists are made up when the personnel and traction to make them up are available. In many cases the day shift will do the shunting so that the night shift can drive it off (as scheduled), or vice-versa. And in yards that aren't equipped with night lighting, all shunting is done in daylight except in really exceptional situations. Additionally, leaving a consist in fragments takes up sidings that may well be needed for other trains.

Also, a diesel burns an eyedropper's worth of fuel at idle. Both trucks and locomotives are frequently left running at a stop for hours, because it actually consumes more fuel to start it up again than just leaving it to run.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Kazimierz, uspokój się w końcu!

23. Kazick

Kazick Member

I give up. I've explained my issue and none of you seem to understand it.Because DTG is the best sim out there and has zero flaws and is 100 perfict.

24. solicitr

Sure, take your ball and go home - because you have no idea how real freight railroads operate.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Sposób, w jaki tu narzekasz, przechodzi ludzkie pojęcie. To nam się nie podoba.

26. Kazick

Kazick Member

I mean, I do know how they operate. And this is not at all how they operate.

27. breblimator

breblimator Guest

• Like Like x 2
  28. Kazick

Kazick Member

Hardy har har. Good joke.

• Like Like x 1
  29. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Stop getting angry - I will stop joking ugly :)

30. solicitr

You really believe that a train drives off the moment it's made up? Seriously?

Railroads operate to a timetable- that means every train has to wait its turn for its scheduled slot to come up; early departures would only create chaos. But that does NOT project backwards into "it will take X hours to make up the consist, therefore we will start shunting X hours before departure." Switchyards are a complex dance of available space, traction and manpower.

If you can't stand waiting around, then note when the service start time is and spawn in on foot just before that time.

• Like Like x 1
  31. mrcharliemiggins2.0

mrcharliemiggins2.0 Well-Known Member

The game thinks that you want to drive that service as you have sat in the Engineers seat and accepted to take it over. Just stepping out of the locomotive will not let you give it up immediately. If you walk far enough away from the train, for a certain amount of time you'll get a 'Do you want to give up this service' and that will then it will go away, or take over another loco and drive it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Well what an exciting thread.
    I had to leave off polishing my pitchfork to read the latest revelation of Dovetails grievous faults.
    What patience. I think I’d have rage quit long before the six hours were up.

• Like Like x 6
  33. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Based on tracking a few heritage units thru the valley here, Ive seen UP take a train from West Colton bound to Oregon and yard it overnight in Roseville, before it departs in the morning.

I've also seen BNSF yard trains here in Fresno for hours before they are scheduled to leave.
    I bet if I go there right now there will be a train waiting to deport.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Kazick

Kazick Member

There is no way of speeding that up is there? A way to speed up how long it take for that message to pop up I mean.

35. solicitr

People have been asking for a long time for a "Give Up Service" button, but so far, no.

But it generally only takes about two minutes for the dialog to appear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

A fast-forward option to skip the time would pretty much solve this problem, wouldn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  37. LeadCatcher

No because we do not think your point is worthy. Run8 is a much better prototypical simulation in many avenues. I just disagree with your point. sorry.

Edited -originally I stated "we' which could be taken as presumptuous - Changed to "I"

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  38. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Indeed, you have found the solution. There is currently no function or button to fast-forward time to the start of a service (a la Zusi 3) within a session, so you must exit to the main menu and either select the service from the timetable or spawn on foot in the location and time of the beginning of the service.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  39. mrcharliemiggins2.0

mrcharliemiggins2.0 Well-Known Member

At the moment no, it's usually about 2-3 mins

• Like Like x 1
  40. Kazick

Kazick Member

Okay, thank you for giving an actual answer unlike every one else.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Callum B.

Be mindful that though giving up the service will remove the banner from your screen, the train will still not be ready for service. In order to actually drive it away, you will need to respawn your player closer to its departure time.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  42. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

You asked 2 questions, most of us chose to answer question #1.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Kazick

Kazick Member

I figured as much. That banner is just sort of annoying. I'll have to give waiting more than 5 minuets a shot. Seems like the last few times, if I recall correctly, it didn't go away after a few minuets. But I'll try again.

44. Callum B.

It is annoying, I agree. We have been asking for a button to relinquish services for a long time, rather than a timed dialogue box, but alas it has not changed.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  45. cilldroichid

cilldroichid New Member

That might be true for passenger services but, freight, empty passenger, per way movements, etc., can and do depart ahead of their scheduled times, at least in the part of the world I'm in, if the signalman has the room for them.

46. breblimator

breblimator Guest

In TSW, it's pure pragmatism. Better to get used to it :)

47. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Afaik the reason for trains not being in cold and dark is that the AI cant handle that state and needs a train already set up in stand-by.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Expect the majority of players wish to drive trains.
    Those who wish a more exacting simulation are in a minority.
    Just as in flight sims.

Remember Dovetail has many years of experience in Train Simulator and a fairly accurate assessment of what their players want.

• Like Like x 1
  49. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

While six hours would be excessive, TSW definitely needs a x2 or x4 time acceleration function, when not actually driving, to speed the world up. Assuming of course the flakey AI could keep up...

• Like Like x 1
  50. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

6 hours? Try 23 hours if you finish a service past midnight but the second part was to start around 11 PM (when you return back to free roam). I do like it when you do a passenger service, return to free roam and actually have 5 minutes spare to change ends (without warping). Not too much time and not too little time.