Swiss Route Suggestion: Basel Sbb - Bern "intercities Like A Swiss Watch"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Apr 14, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

70 vote(s)
    88.6%
  2. Maybe, if it's on sale

6 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. No

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, this time I'm suggesting a route from a country I haven't suggested before: Switzerland. I'd like to see a Swiss mainline filled with Intercities. The Swiss railway network is the busiest in Europe, and it shows. Many of the unique and pretty Swiss trains can be seen gliding through the alpine landscapes every minute. The entire system runs like a Swiss watch some might say ;).

[​IMG]
    An ICN between Gelterkinden and Tecknau

Contents:
    • The Route
      • General description
      • Cab views
      • Services
    • Rolling Stock
      • What comes with the route?
        • SBB RABDe 500 (ICN)
        • SBB RABe 521 (FLIRT)
      • DLC
        • SBB IC 2000 and Re 460
        • SBB RABDe 502 (Twindexx)
        • RABe 503 'New Pendolino'
    • Final Words
    • Pictures

The Route

[​IMG]

General description
    The route I'm proposing runs from Basel SBB to Bern, via the major railway junction of Olten. The length (including the splitting of the line between Muttenz and Liesthal) is about 109 km, bringing it right near the edge of TSW's current maximum. The southern section of the route between Bern and Rothrist consists of the Neubaustrecke Mattstetten-Rothrist, which operates with ETCS, here trains run non-stop. On the other side, the northern section between Olten and Basel SBB consists of older railway lines (with the relatively new tunnel between Olten and Tecknau shortening the length) on which the S-Bahn Basel runs alongside the Intercities. This contrast between the northern and southern sections of the line offer players a lot of gameplay variety, like HMA currently does. The route features numerous tunnels and bridges. For now I've now chosen to include the old Hauensteinstrecke that runs through the Läufelfingertal (Läufelfinger-valley) between Olten and Sissach, as the length of the route is already near the current maximum for TSW. If DTG ever wants to do route extensions they could create the old line between Bern and Olten, on which currently only stopping services and freight travel. This line runs alond the Neubaustrecke Matstetten-Rothrist for multiple sections of the route.

Cab views

Services
    In this section I'll briefly list the important services on this line, their frequency and which rolling stock from this suggestion operates on them.

S3 (S-bahn Basel)
    (from Basel Dreispitz) - Basel SBB - Muttenz - Pratteln - Frenkendorf-Füllinsdorf - Liestal - Lausen - Itingen - Sissach - Gelterkinden - Tecknau - Olten
    Every 30 minutes
    Rolling Stock: SBB RABe 521 (FLIRT)
    Note: The line is also part of the SBBs night network. As SN3 it runs hourly throughout the night.

IC 6
    Basel SBB - Olten - Bern - (onwards to Spiez)
    Every hour
    Rolling Stock: SBB RABDe 500 (ICN), SBB IC 2000, SBB RABDe 502 (Twindexx)

IC 61
    Basel SBB - Olten - Bern - (onwards to Spiez)
    Every hour
    Rolling Stock: SBB RABDe 500 (ICN), SBB IC2000, SBB RABDe 502 (Twindexx)

IC 21
    Basel SBB - Olten - (onwards to Luzern)
    Every hour
    Rolling Stock: SBB RABDe 500 (ICN), SBB IC 2000, SBB RABDe 502 (Twindexx)

IR 27
    Basel SBB - Olten - (onward to Luzern)
    Rolling Stock: SBB IC2000, RABDe 500 (ICN)

IR 16

Bern - Olten - (onward to Brugg AG)
    Rolling Stock: SBB IC2000, RABDe 500 (ICN)

EC
    Basel - Olten - Bern - (onward to Brig and Milano Centrale)
    Rolling stock: RABe 503 'New Pendolino'

EC
    Basel - Olten - (onward to Arth-Goldau, Bellinzona and Milano Centrale)

EC
    (from Frankfurt and Basel Bad. Bf.) - Basel - Olten - Bern - (onward to Brig and Milano Centrale)

In addition to these passenger services the line also sees freight operations between Basel and Olten (and very rarely even on the Neubaustrecke Mattstetten-Rothrist). There are also some ICE services operated by the ICE 4 sets from DB, but I haven't included the ICE 4 as DLC for this route, and therefore also haven't included these services. If the ICE 4 ever comes on a different German route, it could however layer onto here.

Rolling Stock
    What should come with the route?

SBB RABDe 500 (ICN)
    [​IMG]

The ICN (InterCity-Neigezug) is one of the many types of Swiss long distance rolling stock. It is made unique due to it's tilting capability, allowing for faster speeds in curves, something that would be great to see in TSW. In service it has a maximum speed of 200 km/h. Between 1999 and 2005 44 sets of the ICN were built. More info on wikipedia.

SBB RABe 521 (FLIRT)
    [​IMG]

The RABe 521 is part of the Stadler FLIRT family of EMUs, this example being one of the first series. SBB uses it to operate it's S-bahn regional services around the big cities of Switzerland. As the Stadler FLIRT is one of the largest families of EMUs in Europe (and beyond) it would be great to see in game. More info on wikipedia.

DLC
    As nearly all Swiss long distance rolling stock is used on this line there are a lot of DLC options within that genre, I'll list a few of the most interesting ones below.

SBB IC 2000 and Re 460
    [​IMG]

The Swiss IC2000 trains consist of a local hauled rake of double deck coaches, with a cab car on the other end to allow for push-pull operations. The IC2000 was ordered to meet increasing demand for Intercity traffic in Switzerland, this high demand is also the reason for the choice to use double deck coaches. The coaches are pushed or pulled by a Re 460 locomotive. Usually a rake of IC2000 coaches includes 2nd class, 1st class and a restaurant coach. The IC2000 coaches and Re 460 locomotive have a top speed of 200 km/h. Another option would be to introduce the Re 460 with EW IV coaches, but I'll not go deeper into that option unless requested. More info on wikipedia.

Note that it would also be a good option to include the IC2000 sets as standard instead of the ICN. I'd love to hear what you prefer to come as standard below.

[​IMG]

SBB RABDe 502 (Twindexx)
    [​IMG]

The Twindexx is one of the newest additions to the SBBs fleet of rolling stock. For a long time the entry into service of these EMUs was delayed by techinical problems, though the sets have now started to enter service. The Twindexx EMUs for Intercity traffic consist of 8 cars. Like the other suggested IC rolling stock the sets have top speed of 200 km/h. 4-car sets are also used for IR traffic. More info on wikipedia (German).

RABe 503 'New Pendolino'
    [​IMG]

The RABe 503, often referred to as 'new pendolino' is another tilting train from the SBB. Originally these EMUs were bought and operated by Cisalpina, a joint venture between SBB and Trenitalia. After Cisalpina was desolved the trains were split between SBB and Trenitalia, if DTG felt generous they could add the ETR 610 pendolino's that went to Trenitalia after the split up, which are techincally the same but have different paint schemes and interiors. Like the RABDe 500 ICN these trains have a tilting ability, though it has a higher operating speed of 250 km/h. In addition to that they support Swiss, German and Italian power and signalling systems. On this route they operate Eurocities to and from Italy. If a route along lake Geneva (which I am planning to make a suggestion for some day) is made, these could also add services there. More info on wikipedia.

[​IMG]
    Trenitalia ETR 610

[​IMG]
    A special livery from SBB celebrating the services to Frankfurt am Main. This could be added like the Trainbow

Final Words
    Thank you for reading this far. The Swiss railway network is very busy and uses unique and good looking rolling stock, operating through stunning scenery. If you have any information you'd like to add, or rolling stock you'd like to see added to the suggestion, please let me know below.

Pictures
    [​IMG]

Olten station in winter

[​IMG]
    The inside of the Basel SBB station hall

[​IMG]
    an ICN on the Neubaustrecke Mattstetten-Rothrist

[​IMG]
    The entrance hall of Basel SBB

[​IMG]
    an IC2000 set on the Neubaustrecke Mattstetten-Rothrist

[​IMG]
    Olten station

[​IMG]
    Bern Station

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 35
  2. aquapacific

aquapacific Member

Do we get any EC service on this route?

3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and you might need to consider adding in freight trains some of them are Rola trains Freiburg to Novara with SBB CFF FFS RE484 & RE474. Also at Rangierbanhof Basel Muttenz there should be SNCF BB370000 for France to Switzerland freight and the MRCE BR185.5 since it has a Swiss 1.45m pantographs Carbon Contact Strip overhead voltage is 15kv 16.7hz unlike Germany and Austria 1.95m Carbon Contact Strip 15kv 16.7hz. Another passenger Rolling Stock that can fit here is RABe 503 Pendolino used on Basel Bern Lötschberg Base Tunnel Milan services. Video by Benjamin Thibault Simply Railway shows what the 2nd class seats look like on RABe 503 SBB-CFF-FFS

• Like Like x 2
  4. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

But please don’t Rivet Games dlc, they create so much awful stuff with are broken as hell.

• Like Like x 4
  5. driverwoods#1787

Which 3rd party Developer then? Remember Aerosoft did The German feeder route to this line in Train Sim 21 Freiburg to Basel and here's Dovetail Games employee Matt playing the route. Sadly Rivet Games did the SBB CFF FFS Gothard Bahn route Erstfeld Bellinzona for sister game Train Sim 21 which would allow them to make This one Basel to Bern via Olten Hauenstein Railway. Since the Gothard Bahn manual has the Integra Signum ZUB121 mentioned

6. jolojonasgames

I'd prefer it if this was a DTG route. Rivet makes great locos IMO (I really enjoy their German shunters), but I've not been inclined to buy a route of theirs this far.

7. jolojonasgames

Yes, overlooked that when originally making the post, adding them in now :).

8. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

A loco add-on with a loco, three types of coaches and a cab car? I've seen recently where this goes :D

Anyway a very cool suggestion, I agree with the opinions above on Rivet making this... maybe have them cooperate with DTG. DTG makes the route, Rivet makes the trains, customers are happy... hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jolojonasgames

I really love the RABe 503 New Pendolino's, added it to the suggestion, thanks for remiding me!

I've chosen not to include freight trains because they are rare on the southern section of the route. If they ever come with another Swiss route they could however layer onto the northen section between Basel and Olten. DTG could give the MRCE 185.5 the ability to run in Switzerland too, which would be great to see, but I doubt if they would to that.

10. jolojonasgames

Well, this time all the coaches are built on the same base, use the same seats, layouts etc. This wasnt the case with the DB IC coaches, as the cab cars are rebuilt from ex-DR coaches, while the other coaches were built throughout the '70s and '80s, so I have good hopes. The IC2000s would be more like modelling a multiple unit.

Totally agree with a Rivet/DTG cooperation, that would be great. I really think Rivet could do good locos and loco add-ons for this route, that is their true expertise. Meanwhile DTG could make sure the mountains actually have trees on them like Clinchfield instead of like Arosa.

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

Sounds good to me and of these trains the RABe 521 can run in Germany provided Dovetail Games in cooperation with Rivet Games makes the Basel S Bahn network. Here's a map of the network that includes S6 to Zell in Germany https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Linienplan_trireno.png . Also Rivet games can make the shunter for this route which is Eem 923 found at Mutenz Yard http://www.railfaneurope.net/list_frameset.html

• Like Like x 1
  12. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

Very nice choice!
    But there is one thing that I would improve: I would add the IC2000 as an DLC, but instead of the RABDe501 I would add normal EW IV with the cab car, since the IC61 (Basel-Interlaken) is operating them, and also the IC 6 (Basel-Brig). And btw.: The IC6 is (as far as I know) only operating with the EW IV :D
    But to sum up:
    Very nice route, very nice idea, would love to see it made!
    And to say something about the rivet games thing: Rivet games already has the licenses for SBB trains (Gotthardbahn Ts202**) so I guess it wouldn’t be that hard to get the licenses in game there!

• Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

Good point but most of the community regardless of the platforms for Train Sim World 2 dislike the job of Rivet Games with the Arosa Line Rhb DLC. To prevent another Arosa Line Disaster Rivet Games and Dovetail Games need to work together for this route to prevent another Arosa Line disaster if DTG asked Rivet to work on this route for TSW 2. For a DLC locomotive, it should be the EE922 at the Basel SBB Coach yard while Rangierbahnof Basel Mutenz gets an Eem 923 as its Shunter. If bundled together the Electric Shunters will be called the Swiss shunter pack for €15 $18.

• Like Like x 2
  14. jolojonasgames

Thanks! It's great to get some info from people closer to the route in real life. The EW IV would be just as fun IMO, and I'd love to see them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. eihowa#6717

eihowa#6717 Member

But they fix it after maximum 2 months

16. jolojonasgames

Scenery is still not up to the level of other routes in my opinion. Rivet games does some things really well, like the locos they made (the 204 is really good) and the station buildings on Arosa. They definetely have good things, but the hills were really lacking in trees and look almost plastic-y.

17. jolojonasgames

Some trainspotting for those interested

18. jolojonasgames

[​IMG]

After a long renovation the Western wing of Basel SBB has finally been restored to it's original glory, if the route was set in the current day, it could be one of the showpieces at the station.

I couldn't include this image in my original post due to the picture limit.

19. jolojonasgames

A bit back some good news aired, the first Swiss main line route with a FLIRT is coming to TSW. Of course I'm still hoping this route will aswell one day, but it is exciting to see this! :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. driverwoods#1787

What I can see is this Basel Bern via Olten gives Luzern Sursee Re460s Rabe 502 503 500 & Rabe 521 with Germany Austria compatible Pantographs because the northern extension of that route is Sursee Olten the link between Basel Olten Bern Line and Olten Luzern Sursee route. Best value for the route is selling the Bundle as SBB Adventure pack Basel Bern Olten with Luzern Sursee extended to meet Basel Bern at Olten. In return Luzern Sursee gives Rabe 523 for S3 Basel Olten. At olten you'll have the option do you want to continue to Luzern via Sursee Yes or No?