PC Crr Can We Have Some Light Please?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rudolf, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

In CRR there is a lot of shunting the dark. Sometimes there is a little light left, but sometimes you can hardly see the end of the train.
    The task of driving 53 cars and 4 engines backward to pickup the Caboose on a 1% grade can be very hard this way.

It happens at the second or third part of the Moss turn.

In real life, there woloud be a guy telling you what to do, he even might have a lamp.
    So, it would be very helpful if for instance camera 8 could work with a torch, like in first person mode. Or, you even might attach a lamp to the caboose, when it is not coupled. I think it may add to realism and make it better doable. No you need to rely on the hud and the 2D map to have some idea on what you are doing.

I think all this darkness is nice additional challenge, but I would appreciate a bit more thought on how it works out for gameplay.

The image below shows what camera 2 sees.when I try to pickup the Caboose again.
    20210416102326_1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That does not look in the slightest bit enjoyable.

• Like Like x 4
  3. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

What we need is a 3D model of a railway operator placed next to the objective marker when coupling is involved. So it's just a modified version of the blue marker 3D model without the blue marker itself and with the human figure moved a bit to one side of the track.

Operator can have a lamp and trigger radio sounds with remaining distance or number of cars as you approach to the parked consists. The remaining distance is just your distance to the marker minus your train lenght. Both distance variables are available as they are already used by HUD.

This could be done with a mod but as there's no sdk docs at all about the internal variables nor a way to read them from the outside world we are stuck and forced to go with the camera method only.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Dave Mel I think this is what you were discussing with me on PSN. I haven't progressed beyond the scenarios at the moment

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

We just need an option for brighter nights, across all routes not just this one.

NTP is another example, you roll into big towns and cities - Manchester, Huddersfield and Leeds - with barely any ambient light from streetlamps or buildings either!

• Like Like x 5
  6. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Yes some of those early class 08 services on Heavy Freight pack are not as enjoyable in the pitch dark

7. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I think it was Class 08 that had a lamp inside you could manually move outside. It didn't turn on, but the first step is there. There could be 2-4 lamps in the Caboose and you could put them outside and turn them on to help you. A bit of interactivity going a long way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

All the lamps on the class 20 DLC are individually operable and all the wagons can have taillights placed on them by clicking on the lamp irons.

I’d love to see this across all rolling stock.

9. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Basically you are doing the work of two men.
    ("Bit too close to real life" he says turning up his monitors brightness)

• Like Like x 1
  10. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

If this is in a service, just run it in summer and it should be lighter.

If its in a scenario can you point me at it? I've done services at 3am and the moonlight makes it more than light enough to proceed quite comfortably - i've never seen it as dark as you're showing there, so keen to look into it more.

Matt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It is the McClure Shifter sequence, in Journey mode (where one can't choose the season or weather). The same service in Timetable mode in summer does have enough light to see by.

• Like Like x 2
  12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Still a bit of a workaround though vs. having a generally brighter night or a means of adjusting the gamma.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cp1400

cp1400 Member

Never had any night as dark as that one either to be honest, in fact I always think nights are too bright! But sometimes they are really nice and dark. I guess that depends on clouds and season. Also, is the hud different? There is a yellow bar wher normally the ball thing would be. Looks odd to me.

14. solicitr

It's a mod. Easier to read than the ball.

15. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

I did the same thing after doing the moss turn service up the hill (whichever part that is) in winter with a bit of snow. I had to go uncouple the caboose and I hit 8 for the free camera and immediately the mistake. Thankfully the game has the little objective marker so I could figure out just about where the coupling was and spent about 5 minutes searching for the coupler release (cause I wasn't about to walk back through 66 cars). So, I'll voice my opinion for a light with the 8 camera. TBH I'd actually rather night not be pitch black, but I realize that's probably not a popular opinion, so I'll take a light instead.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I was running the journey. The next part in this journey has better light....
    I have the same issue sometimes at other routes, e.g. at leats one of the freight services for SEH, where you also need to couple/uncouple in a pitchdark environment., and into my opinion playability should not depend on the weather you have selected.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  17. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

Same here. Playing without mission markers so these dark night scenarios were very unpleasant to do indeed.
    Had to walk on foot to couple/uncouple also, just because needed some flashlight

Yeah, that would be the perfect solution and add some immersion, really like it! But would certainly take too much resources to implement :(

18. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Just an observation, there are so many threads about the number of rivets being incorrect on a DLC, or incorrect consists being run a route, then we get this, where a ready solution exists to use the flashlight and walk to disconnect.

This is what would have to happen if the conductor was in the cab as is modern practice. Of course since this era, the conductor would be in the caboose, a nice fix would be to allow <CTRL> - to switch to the caboose then walk to the disconnect point so as NOT to break immersion.

I agree it would be nice to use the free camera, but after reading these forums since they opened, it does seem very bi-polar on immersion or not to immersion

• Like Like x 3
  19. solicitr

1) At this stage of the shunting op, the caboose has been left on a siding so it's of no help.
    2) Yes, you can walk to do the uncoupling, but coupling in the primordial dark is basically only possible as a "roll forward slowly until you hear something crunch." IRL, of course, there would be a brakeman on the lead car with a powerful light, and a yardbird standing by the end of the cut with another. Actually, in an unlit switchyard it's unlikely they would be doing any of this at night- FRA and the union would have a fit.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  20. cp1400

cp1400 Member

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying !

21. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Hey Matt, I ran into this in one of the scenarios, Nora Turn - Part 8 - Runaround. It was so dark it was hard to see during the coupling operations.

• Like Like x 1
  22. gasman#1281

gasman#1281 New Member

Doing anything in the dark in this game is very frustrating indeed. Even starting in a dark cab is difficult - finding the cabin light can take a long time.
    And uncoupling in the dark in Cajon Pass Victorville yard is just impossible.
    Is there a solution? The step lights only give dim illumination of the steps themselves.
    What is the point of floundering around in the dark trying to hit a tiny coupling pop up with the cursor?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I've run this journey as well, and it is extremely dark. I think I ended up putting the free camera by the stationary cars because my moving train was easier to see. And still going very slowly.

Love Clinchfield a lot, largely because of the multi-part epic Journeys, but I was glad to be finished with that one.

• Like Like x 1
  24. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Its very sad that developers dont have a ideas for new features.