Nyct B/q/s Lines For Tsw2

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SgtBreadSt1ck, Aug 24, 2020.

1. SgtBreadSt1ck

SgtBreadSt1ck Active Member

After the debut of the Bakerloo line with TSW2’s announcement I got a strong sense of hope that DTG would make a NYC Subway Route. My proposal for a route would be the B train from Bedford Park Blvd. (Rush Hours) or 145th St. to Brighton Beach. The Q would run from 96th St. and run down all the way to Coney Island. And finally the S would be the Franklin Avenue shuttle running from Franklin Avenue to Prospect Park. This route would feature underground, open-cut, embankment, and elevated tracks. The route would also include Coney Island station with its massive roof, and would feature both the Coney Island Complex and the Bedford Yard facility. The line would feature 59 stations during Rush Hours and 49 during normal times. The trains that would be included in this route is the R46, R68, R68A, R160A, and R160B.

Below are pictures of the trains and the yards.

[​IMG]
    Budd R46. The oldest fleet on these lines.

[​IMG]
    Kawasaki R68A (Left) & Westinghouse-Amrail R68 (Right)

[​IMG]
    Alstom R160A/Siemens R160B (propulsion differences) The latest model on these lines.

[​IMG]
    Coney Island Complex. The largest Yard and facility in the NYC Subway system.

[​IMG]
    Bedford Yard in the Bronx. Maintenance facility and yard for the B.

Please get attention. I have been wanting NYC Subway content since TSW2 and even since the LIRR was released.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  2. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

This is the 4th thread in 2 days about NYC subways. Please consolidate, and don't open new ones all the time.

Furthermore, though I asked several times now, nobody was able or willing to explain what is so great about driving in dark, dirty tunnels all the time. LIRR and Rapid Transit (these at least look nice) have tunnel sections, and there's Bakerloo; why do we need more of this?
    I mean, I can see that this topic is popular, but I don't get it. What's so special about it?

3. SgtBreadSt1ck

Well we like the stations and we like the traffic that comes through. See bakerloo line tunnels are just a single tube. On the NYC Subway you can actually get a view of what happens on the other track. Plus the tracks always have something interesting with the amount of abandoned sections there are. Furthermore this line is about half above ground and half underground so it’s a good combination. Also the Manhattan Bridge is a nice view. But really NYC Railfans just want to drive the routes we use almost every day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

True. Slightly off topic but I don't know how tube drivers do it, I'd go insane having to drive those small trains in those claustrophobic tubes all day. On top of that their headlights barely serve its purpose so they're driving in pitch black.

NYC subway tunnels are spacious with some abandoned stations and interesting track setups which attracts alot of urban explorers.

Credits to the first three photos go to Avery, a skillful photographer who can be found on fb.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  5. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Okay... While I don't share your view, you have some interesting arguments. And I do understand a little more why it's so popular. Thanks for that.
    Half route topside and the bridge sound kinda interesting. Maybe I would get that. Your trains and stations are still super ugly, see Rapid Transit. ;)
    But I wouldn't bet on it anytime soon :|

That's maybe because many aren't really tunnels, but trenches with a "roof" :cool:

6. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Didn’t the R160’s from the N/Q/W get transferred to the R?

7. ZeenozPlays

You just live criticizing our Subway System, don’t you?

8. ZeenozPlays

To add some more Information, The B train runs Express Between 47-50 Sts and Brighton Beach. The W runs Express Between 57 St and Canal St.

9. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Well, at least you have one. That's, well, something ;)

But seriously, compare these two:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Do I have to say anything? :)

But, admittedly, my town doesn't even have a subway. Not worth it. We only got those:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  10. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

CC Johnson Our subway system is old and dirty I'll admit. But what would make this particular line a nice addition to TSW is that not only does it run underground but also elevated, cut and cover along with many twist, turns and grades.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  11. ZeenozPlays

Yea, you don’t have to say anything or criticize it. THAT is a Light Rail, you cannot compare it to a Subway System that is over 100 Years old. Our System has Character.

12. SgtBreadSt1ck

I would say the NYC Subway trains look nicer. It’s hard to manage a system with 472 stations a city full of crackheads and people who take it for granted. Really the subway could be as good if people would respect it more.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Firstly, it's a U-Bahn = Subway (the second picture, to be clear). Not a light rail. And most subways, at least in Europe, are not normal rail gauge.
    The 3rd and 4th picture is a Tram and of course not a subway, cause as I said, my own town doesn't have one. I just wanted to show it off, since I think it's pretty.
    And just because it's very old, doesn't mean it needs to look like that. It needs serious renovation and upgrading, imho.
    My cities' rail station (yes, not a subway) is from 1846, but it doesn't look it https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Bahnhofsgebäude_Augsburg.JPG

And I agree that people need to respect their public transport. But so does the public sector.
    Also, I don't wanna argue, you got your opinion, I got mine. That's fine. Though I am irritated as to how proud you seem about it. It may be the largest and most complex network in the world, but it's by far not the best. And I am sorry, but the few times I rode it, it was very confusing and ugly/dirty, and I was scared using it. I never had this experience anywhere else. Paris, p.ex. ist also quite large and complex, but I figured it out quite easily and it was nice.
    That the NYC subway trains look nice I really don't get, but I respect that you think that.

Furthermore, as I said before, I, personally, don't get the fascination of driving in a dark tunnel for a length of time. Didn't really get an explanation as to that.

And lastly, I did admit, that that line, with the overground part and the bridge and what you describe, could maybe be interesting. Though, for my eyes, the difference between that and the LIRR (please don't tell me it's not a subway, I know that, but it looks still quite similar) is not that big.

Now, can we please be friends :)

14. SgtBreadSt1ck

Sure we can be friends. Also a little side note back in the 70s the MTA tried running the R44s a NYC Subway car on the LIRR. The only reason it didn’t work was because the difference in power voltage. So if this route comes you can basically have more trains for LIRR in Off the Rails mode. And if you want to look at a track map of the system but focus on the B/Q/S you can see how the route would be like. https://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/docs/NYC_full_trackmap.pdf Look for the orange line all the way at the top of the map and look for “Bedford Park Blvd.” and just follow it down to Brighton Beach. The “Yellow” or Q line connects at DeKalb after the bridge. Once you arrive at Brighton beach go towards Coney Island Stillwell Avenue. Then go up the same route but after going through the bridge follow the “Yellow” Q line up to 96th.

• Like Like x 2
  15. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

CC Johnson of course we can be friends, everyone has their opinions and differences. But if you're scared of our system now then you would have definitely been beyond scared if you had to take a trip via our system back in the 70s and 80s.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Probably would. Since I was a tourist and it was during the day, I didn't see any commuters but only a certain crowd, but I don't remember it that well. Mainly the feeling stuck. And it's something I never had before or since anywhere. Once a guy in a RER near Paris was very obtrusive and came close, especially since I don't speak french, but he was alone. And the train nice and clean :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. SgtBreadSt1ck

There still a few sets on the Q left.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SgtBreadSt1ck

lmao, most recent comment. We need attention for this. It is a good route suggestion.

19. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

Sounds good.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GoldenTicket420

GoldenTicket420 Well-Known Member

I lived along this line,great suggestion sgt. I used to love being on express line racing with and passed the local line.

• Like Like x 1
  21. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and I was exactly on this route on January 2nd 2016 Pullman R46 R train vs Siemens Kawasaki R160B Q train. Here's the thing MTA has been rasing speed limits in the subway perhaps a Dovetail Games staff needs to type WNBC-4 website then search New York City subway increase on that website then work on the route.
    R46s aren't made by Budd they're made by Pullman 1974-1977
    R160A Alstom 2005-2010
    R160B Kawasaki 2005-2010 these have two different propulsion units Alstom and Siemens which are 8843-9102 found on Q Train Coney Island yard.