Tile Loading / Stuttering: - Has It Gotten Worse?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Shaun123, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Over the past few weeks especially probably since Arosa and associated TSW updates, I have noticed a marked increase in stuttering and tile loading causing FPS drops.

Now, it's now secret that stuttering in the game is an issue, we've had it before, and it has been barely noticeable or game-breaking (for me at least) the last few weeks in any DLC, the amount of FPS drops, which I can only assume is tile-loading because of where they happen, is far for more noticeable.

I'm not talking about latency issues here by the way as discussed in other threads between the monitor and GPU, there is something different about these.

I have tried a vanilla .ini setting, reset my monitor and Nvidia settings, DX12 on/off, Vsync/GSync On-Off, it's the same result no matter what? I get a constant 60FPS no matter what DLC, on Ultra settings (apart from the FPS drops of course!)

So what has changed?

My setup is

i7 9700k 8 core
    RTX 2080 Super
    32GB Ram
    2TB HDD
    480 GB SSD

I've had TSW2 on my SSD, the only thing on my SSD apart from Windows, so tried moving to my HDD, no change.

So those more in the know, what could it be?

2. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Since the last update I have noticed a slight decrease in fps but not a real increase in the shuddering.

System:
    i9 9900 @ 3.6 GHz, 32 GB ram, GeForce RTX 3070 with 8 mb GDDR 6

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  3. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Personally i don't get much stuttering and I have much lower specs than the above -

i7-9750H
    GTX 1660 Ti
    8GB ram

Run at 1080p - Ultra settings 150% screen percentage get about 45 Fps as a steady rate, the occasional stuttering but certainly nothing I would describe as noticeable or game breaking..

4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

My goodness, I wish I had those specs!
    Mine: I7 6700
    GTX 1070 6 GB GDDR5
    64GB RAM
    But great FPS and no stuttering!

5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Things like CPU, GPU and RAM don't have much to do with stuttering during tile loading, it's mostly caused by HDD/SDD speed.

6. Rutger Luiten

Rutger Luiten Active Member

There are reports that the latest Nvidia driver causes a slight decrease in FPS, I went back to an older version, it solved the drop in fps.

7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Ah, that's probably why I don't have a stuttering problem, then. I have several fast SSD's. in my system.

8. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I got really tired of this here and in other games and finally decided to buy a variable refresh rate monitor (g-sync/freesync monitor). That solved the issues and gameplay is super smooth after that. The problem with stuttering is the changing frame rates and for that the only way to solve it is setting game quality so that you are always above your monitor refresh rate (e.g: 60 fps on a 60hz monitor) or to use a g-sync/freesync monitor. I highly recommend to get one of those monitors as the result is amazing and gaming experience turns into a totally new world with no more stuttering nor tearing independently to the fps your game is running at. Once you try it you can´t live without that feature. I waited a bit so that those monitors are cheaper to get one. Now you have many affordable monitors that are perfect for regular games and after Nvidia updated their drivers you can use also Freesync monitors (cheaper) with Nvidia cards. Mine is a freesync one which is certified by Nvidia, so it´s compatible with g-sync feature. You will also need a graphics card capable of using that feature (e.g: Nvidia series 10xx, 20xx or 30xx).

For the tile loading you may want to check the post we have about stuttering:

Got Stuttering On Pc With Gsync Or Vsync Monitor? - Microsoft Have Released A Patch | Dovetail Games Forums

Some of the modifications I proposed help a lot with the tile loading and you can use them together with a g-sync monitor to get the best results.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. shamanspark

shamanspark Member

I think about buying a GSync monitor to smooth the stutters up.
    Do you think it does make sense?
    "Normally" i get about 50-60 fps, in hard environment i fall back to 25-30 fps or lets say 35-45 fps.
    Depends on track etc.
    Does such a monitor make sense at all in this "low" fps environments??

10. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Yes it does. I use Gsync and the in-game frame limiter (and the garbage collector ini tweaks) and have a smooth driving (except big yards). In TSW it's constant fps over high fps

11. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Sure it makes sense. Those fps are similar to the ones I have in game. It makes sense not only for this game but for any game where you have stuttering due to fps drops. I just got mine this weekend and I'm amazed by the results.

If you have Nvidia and you get a freesync monitor (compatible with g-sync and much cheaper) be sure it's listed in the certified ones as it ensures it has been tested by Nvidia to approve it as compatible:

https://www.nvidia.com/es-es/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/

Better get one whose supported Hz range starts in 40-48hz rather than 60hz in that list so that g-sync is active in a wider lower range (ideal for this game due to those heavy scenarios we have in most routes).

But indeed you don't need to limit fps anymore with g-sync as it adjusts the monitor refresh to the fps you have in real time (it's optional anyway). To release workload on your gpu is better to run game/windows at lower refresh rates such as 60hz, 75hz or 85hz if your monitor is able to do it instead of running above 120hz. This will be less demanding as you won't most likely never reach 120fps or more with this game. But with a fast gpu and fast response monitor I suggest staying at high refresh rates and let g-sync do its work as the results are impressive. TSW as most simulators is not intended to run at 120fps or more. 60fps is more than enough and not so demanding for modern systems.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. shamanspark

shamanspark Member

https://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-entspi...08K99359Q/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
    this would be my favourite

• Like Like x 1
  13. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

That one looks good to me. It has good high 165Hz frequency (more than enough even for first person shooters) and works at 1ms, which is important for fast moving images. It´s also in the official Nvidia list in case you use such cards and works in the 48Hz-165Hz range with them, so go ahead my friend. Anything with similar specs will be perfect. You won´t go back to regular v-sync anymore after that ;)

Cheers

14. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Some monitors have what is called "Low Framerate Compensation" which means that a monitor can sync with lower framerates by running at a multiple of it. For example, few monitors have a refresh range down to 34Hz, but if necessary, a monitor with LFC will run at 68Hz to sync with 34FPS. I think this technology is more important to look for than a monitor with a low refresh range.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  15. gfysps4gaming

gfysps4gaming Member

i have mad major issues with the game on pc since the april 6th update i livestream on my you tube channel GFYS Gaming Australia each tuesday and wednesday on PC and my viewers even see the issue with frame drops and shutting this issues has been fixed 3 times since the games release last august but always comes back after a few updates later im so sick of dovetail not getting this issue fixed once and for all i wish they would spend a few months just fixing the issues and not think about the money we all want a game that runs smooth on pc the game is fine on ps4 for me but love playing on pc because ps4 dont have mouse witch should be added to the game anyway hope next update fixes this

16. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

We have a post explaining some of the source of problems (unreal's garbage collector and level loading). I also sent the link to the post to bug tracking so that they could have some feedback about the testing results. The best solution to me has been g-sync + that post tweaks. A total game changer.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  17. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this helps or not but since I changed defrag programs (o&o) my 1080TI is performing much, much better.

18. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Shouldn't modern Windows systems do defragging on a regular basis by themselves anyway?

19. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

If your SSD supports it (and most do), automatic trim operations occur weekly unless you turn it off. I believe defrags also occur on non-SSDs at the same frequency

20. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

Hi Geloxo. I have an LG Ultrawide monitor (29WK600) AMD Radeon Freesynch, and I have the NVidia GeForce GTX 970 gaming graphic card. Normally my game runs smoothly but I notice occasionally, here and there, what you might describe as 'stuttering' and I understand from Googling that both support GSynch. So whilst I fully admit I'm not that 'techie minded', would running GSynch be better and, if so, would I need that patch you mention please? I'm honestly not sure whether or not all the 'trouble' would be worth it for something that happens only very intermittently or not. What would you suggest or recommend please? If it helps, this monitor has a refresh rate of 59.978Hz.

PS I just checked that NVidia monitor compatibility link you posted and unfortunately my model isn't listed under GSynch compatible monitors, so I assume rightly or wrongly that I can't use it?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  21. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Hi.

The microsoft patch is just a general improvement for all systems (regular and g-sync ones) and all games too and it should be automatically installed by Windows update. If I´m not wrong you also need a GTX Series 10xx card as a minimum to have g-sync available, not just the monitor, so maybe the 970 is not enough. Anyway if the following option is not available in you Nvidia panel then your system is not g-sync ready.

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. mancunian#7861

Thank you very much indeed for that geloxo. I'll check it out. Cheers!
    PS I just checked the NVidia control panel as you kindly showed above and no, it's not an option with this card/monitor it would seem. Never mind.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  23. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Well yes Windows has it's own defrag program but there are more indepth programs out there. And I noticed since I started using this one I have the stuttering is no longer an issue. I can't be 100% sure but seems a strong coincidence to me.

24. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I've not had significant stuttering issues until today, when I went back to LGV (after several months absence) to check out the KVB/Crocodile enhancements and had real problems - a screen freeze for a fraction of a second happening every few seconds. I went back to Clinchfield (which is much more graphics intensive, about half the frame rate when playing normally) and it was fine. I'm sure LGV didn't have these problems a few months ago - is it just me suffering?

25. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Bizarrely, since the latest update/patches, I’ve now seen remarkable improvement compared to what I posted at the weekend!

It’s a funny old game, eh?!

• Like Like x 1
  26. mancunian#7861

LOL reminds me of Saint and Greavsy ... sorry if I'm showing my age here! :D All helps keep us on our toes I guess. :D

• Like Like x 1