The Fen Line Phase 1 - Kings Lynn To Ely

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andy.malcolm, Apr 11, 2021.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you told people they need to install the "RSC Liverpool to Manchester route" or "RSC ECML South" it would confuse a lot of people as they only show in Steam as DTG routes.

And before you go on about "intimidation of a Cancer patient" HOW would people know of your ailments before replying to your posts?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

My Liverpool - Manchester & ECMLS are also in the RSC folder, this is where they are supposed to be, I agree with the other comments on this thread, it is unfair to blame an installer or call other forum members "ignorant oafs" when you are the only one experiencing this problem.
    Like eveyrone else who has installed this route and is thoroughly enjoying it, there is no problem with the installer as long as you own all the required routes and point the installer to where your Railworks folder is installed on your system.
    I echo the above, this is clearly an issue with your TS installation NOT with the Fen Line Route or it's Installer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SJA

SJA Active Member

Would it not only be an issue if one had manually moved their route folders about? The installer will locate where the requirements are relative to the base Railworks path.

I think what it says in the installer window list is just the current owner of the intellectual property of the route. It saying DTG in the installer window bears no relevance to the folder structure.

Excited for the next phase of this route in the next year or two.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

You and I, both :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

The installer is not LOOKING in a folder called DTG. I've no idea where you get this idea from. It shows you the path it is looking in quite clearly.. it is looking in N:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks The filenames highlighted in red are just that.. names.. they're not paths. It's just calling it "DTG ECML South"... it is NOT looking for a DTG folder. It managed to find mine just fine.

Because it's not looking for a folder called DTG LOL.. it is just looking in the Railworks folder, where ALL the routes are installed.
    Yes, it is... exactly the same, with the exception that mine's on Drive C: and not Drive N: Look at the path the installer is showing you... it is looking in the RAILWORKS folder... Nowhere does anything say it is looking for a DTG folder... that is simply the name they have chosen to label the route.

Please.. there's nothing wrong with the installer.

Mine's on a SSD... just happens to be drive C: Your drive letter is clearly not the issue, as you have already altered it to Drive N in the installer.

There's something wrong with those two routes. Have you tried re-installing them? I bet you haven;t, have you? Easier to blame in an installer that literally no one else is having any trouble with.
    What has you having cancer got to do with anything? How are we supposed to know you have cancer? Does having cancer mean no one can disagree with you? Harassing? I replied to your post and said it's user error and there's nothing wrong with the installer, which I stand by 100%. If you think that is illegal... go ahead and call the police. I'm not bullying you... I'm CORRECTING you. It is NOT looking in a folder called DTG for either of those routes.
    Go on then, show me where anything I have said or done is breaking any laws... LOL
    No.. I'm editing nothing. In fact, I want you to take whatever action you feel necessary... go on.

I'm sorry you are ill, but you are being ridiculous. No one knows you are ill, so stop playing the sympathy card as an excuse to hurl abuse at people because I did no more than correct your assumptions about this software. The ONLY thing I said to you that was even SLIGHTLY offensive, was that you are a bad workman blaming your tools. If that is bullying and harassing in your mind, then you have led an EXTREMELY sheltered life. You're the one hurling insults, not I.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Pookeyhead

Exactly.... and I bet he won't apologise to me for calling me an oaf, when he finally re-installs those two routes and realised that everything is in fact just fine with the installer.

7. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

You say you have not purchased JT MML ??
    It is showing Green on your screenshot, which suggests it has been found in your library.

8. Pookeyhead

That's a very good point.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

On UKTS somebody mentioned it requires MML for the latest version of the Common Library
    I suppose another JT route might have a new version - CML?

10. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Th installer works just fine. Not sure about MML but it will install if you don’t have all the required routes. I don’t have Trent Valley and it still installed OK. I haven’t driven it enough to find out what scenery will be missing but I drove it out of Kings Lynn OK so it does work.

• Like Like x 1
  11. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

I don't have the MML but it showed up as green in the installer. Then I loaded up Ely and all the track was missing so I suspect something was awry.

12. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

The confusion here is that the installer is NOT looking for either the ECMLS or The Liverpool Manchester Routes but it is looking for their Assets. (Yes I realise that the routes must be installed for the installer to check their Assets). As far as I know there is no ECMLS per se route listed in the DTG/RSC Steam catalogue so I presume the installer is looking in the appropriate Assets folders. I guess it could also be looking in the 2 routes folder but the ECMLS is poorly named.
    IMO the installer wording is poor to a purist nerdy computer buff, as the descriptors are not computer correct and could create confusion in trying to distinguish where the Assets actually are. Why they are prefixed DTG is a complete mystery to me!
    Having said all of that the installer worked faultlessly for me - giving me a green bar for all Assets, Content and marketplace items required for the route to be installed. Great route! Excellent Installer.
    pH
    As an example in one of the scenarios: Railworks\Assets\ RSC\ECMLS\RailVehicles\Electric\Class365\Class365\FCC_AP\Class365_DMOC_A.xml
    Listed as default stock in the scenario descriptor.

13. Pookeyhead

Name me one addon or piece of software that is? How many times have you ever seen WCML Over Shap referred to as anything other WCML Over Shap? Being computer correct, it would be "keithmross WCML2" because that's it's "correct" "computer" name? Obviously.. and quite rightly, they are not catering to purist nerdy computer buffs, as that woudl be a spectacularly small market.

It's job is not to inform you of where they are, but merely check whether they are present. They are clearly using "DTG" as a means of commonly identifying them as routes published by DTG on Steam. It's merely a list of route names and nothing to do with their location on your computer. The actual path to where it is looking is listed separately at the top of the installer quiet clearly. I seriously doubt anyone has been confused by calling Liverpool to Manchester a "DTG" route, especially when you consider that the vast majority of train sim "players" will just consider this...
    342523452345.JPG
    ...and not even know what, or who "RSC" even is.

If there's one thing that's almost as annoying as bad workmen blaming their tools... it's pedantry.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Using MML as the description for the Sheffield to Derby is getting some people confused with the Bedford - St Pancras line

15. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

All I know is that it is a brilliant route despite having problems with the installer throwing a Microsoft.Net framework error.
    Certainly looking forward to linking up with Cambridge, wonder if a merge with ATS's Cambeidge Peterborough line is possible?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  16. Pookeyhead

have you updated MS.net?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Did you turn it off and back on again?

18. Peter Hayes

Martschuffing
    I would run this tool from MS before you download anything else:
    Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=30135
    I would also look in "View Reliability History" (or Event Viewer) in windows 10 to see if it is recording a MSVCR error.
    Pedantic as ever.
    pH

19. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mr. Pedant. :love:
    Peter, I ran that tool and it made no difference to the problem.
    I checked in event viewer but there were so many warnings and errors in there that quite frankly I didn't know what I was looking for exactly? Not being a technically minded person you understand!
    I installed the route via my old drive without issue.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  20. Peter Hayes

Mark
    I'm glad that you got it fixed.
    pH

21. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Have just discovered that the Fen line has working neutral sections - you need to switch off power before entering, or have to do that to reset after,

22. Pookeyhead

Yup :)

23. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Very nice, WCML Over Shap training coming back into play there. Still have to play that, and I need to play that Windermere extension as a Nick Hudson tribute.