Schwarzwald Bahn

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by drnicktgm#1259, Apr 20, 2021.

?
  1. Yes of course, that's a great route

53 vote(s)
    89.8%
  2. Only if it was on sale

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Sorry but no

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

upload_2021-4-20_18-12-54.png
    Hey there, today I'm presenting you the Schwarzwaldbahn here are some information about it
    Geographical and economic significance
    By cutting straight through the Black Forest, the Black Forest Railway shortened the trip between Offenburg and Singen, which had been connected by the Baden Mainline (Badische Hauptbahn), from 240 km to 150 km. The route is currently operated by a regular service of Deutsche Bahn RegionalExpress trains, using double-decker rolling stock, which allow excellent views. The trains continue southwards from Singen on the High Rhine Railway to Konstanz and across the Swiss border to Kreuzlingen, and northwards to Karlsruhe along the Rhine Valley Railway. In addition, the line is utilized by a daily Intercity between Konstanz and Hamburg-Altona.

This route was also economically significant for the small communities in the southern part of the Black Forest. For many localities, which, prior to the advent of train service, were only accessible via horse-drawn carriages, this development was key to their industrialization. From the end of the 19th century, until World War I, the manufacture of clocks in the Black Forest saw its economic heyday, and this industry marks the local economy even today. Not only the residents of towns directly on the line, such as St. Georgen, Hornberg, Villingen-Schwenningen, and Donaueschingen, were beneficiaries of train service, but even Furtwangen or Schramberg, which are not far away, profited. The line is also significant in terms of tourism.

[​IMG]
    Between Offenburg and Hausach, the Black Forest Railway follows the river Kinzig, and runs right next to it near Gengenbach. The section between Offenburg and Gengenbach is flanked by expansive vineyards, which slowly dwindle away as the Kinzig Valley narrows. The line then runs through the Gutach valley to Hornberg. From Hornberg to Sankt Georgen, the route must negotiate numerous loops, many through tunnels, and transcends several hundred metres in altitude in the process. This section is clearly visible from a lookout point near Triberg.

After passing through Sankt Georgen, the route continues alongside the river Brigach. After Villingen, the route starts to leave the Black Forest behind, and crosses the Baar lowlands. In Donaueschingen, the Black Forest Railway meets up with the Höllental Railway, which is second only to the Black Forest Railway in significance in terms of railways in the area. The route then parallels the Danube river, which is formed by the confluence of the Brigach and Breg rivers, until it reaches Immedingen.

The entire route crosses through four districts of the state of Baden-Württemberg: From Offenburg to Hausach it starts in the Ortenaukreis, and crosses the Schwarzwald-Baar-Kreis between Triberg and Donaueschingen. Kreis Tuttlingen is traversed between Geisingen and Immendingen, and the final part of the line ends up in Kreis Konstanz.

upload_2021-4-20_18-17-55.png
    The trains that usually run on there are the Br146.2, but there also the Br120 with IC coaches on the route
    upload_2021-4-20_18-19-12.png
    upload_2021-4-20_18-19-53.png
    BR425 Regional Trains
    And some more trains, and I think that there are also some Intercity and freighter.

But because the route is so long I would say that this route gets cutted so that this route doesn't have to be as long and the best sights about the route will only be added, but thanks to the great German landscape we would have a nice scenery to enjoy while driving on the route

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 32
  2. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

Impressive!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

It's a nice route but I've seen enough modern German trains. Would love to see something different, preferebly something older, to make the route considerably more interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This, if I never see another 42x EMU, Dosto or modern electric loco I would be quite happy. Let's have something where we can play around in the classic era of D and E trains, UIC and Silberlinge stock etc.
    Other than that the route looks like it could be interesting.

5. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

When was the line electrified?

6. drnicktgm#1259

Then I would recommend you the Eifelstrecke, because it's really old

7. drnicktgm#1259

In 1975 it got electrified

8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Let me see a classic train Sim 21 route that needs to be on Train Sim World 2. The Dostos from Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Gemünden need to have their destination boards retrofitted to say RB Konstanz. For a vintage West German electric locomotive how about DB BR118. Here's a game play of Train Sim Matt Playing the route

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wintermute89

Wintermute89 Member

As someone who grew up on the Baar, went to school in neighbouring Tuttlingen and attended university at the Lake of Constance I wholeheartedly support your Suggestion of bringing (atleast parts of) the Schwarzwaldbahn into TSW2. There are already two parts of the route available for TS20XX (Konstanz-Villingen, Villingen-Hausach) so I have some hopes of seeing that Suggestion come true, eventually.

I´d like to add some more informations about possible services and train sets in service.
    - The section from Konstanz to Singen is served by SBB Flirt EMUs, known as Seehas; during the week the section is served every 30 minutes; the Seehas is one of the most important commuter services in the region
    - The section between Engen and Singen is served by IC trains coming from Stuttgart every two Hours. The IC is ending in Singen, with the empty train being transeferred to Radolfzell where it will be parked until the ride back to Stuttgart. These services are run with IC 2 "Dosto" sets. Journey time from Engen to Singen is only 12 minutes, though.
    - The Immendingen - Donaueschingen section is served by diesel powered Trains (either DMUs or Dostos pulled by BR 218 locos) coming from the Danube Valley/Ulm area. During weekdays the services run roughly hourly, with gaps in-between. Services stop at Donaueschingen, Geisingen and Immendingen going on to Tuttlingen. Travel time is relatively short taking around 20 minutes.
    - There are also regional diesel Services being served by the Hohenzollerische Landesbahn (HZL) that run on parts of the Schwarzwaldbahn but without adding further branch lines they wouldn´t make much sense; even though the HZL Depot in Immendingen would be cool to see.
    - There is some limited freight on the route; Villingen has a larger freight yard and there are freight Trains coming from the Offenburg area to Villingen; mostly mixed freight; Immendingen has a rather large loading ramp and team track. Back when Immendingen had a Bundeswehr and French army garrison these installations were used to load military trains. Nowadays they are used for transporting lumber. Singen also has a large freight yard and a container loading terminal that sees heavy use. There would be excellent opportunities for switching or loading operations.

As you can maybe see from what I wrote the whole region is part of a larger rail network in south-western Germany. Many services run via the Schwarzwaldbahn coming from other routes. I would therefore like to expand the original suggestion and add the Tuttlingen branches connecting to the Schwarzwaldbahn at Immendingen and Hattingen. Tuttlingen is an important Station where several lines meet.

This would add the opportunity for further services in the region (IC and HZL) and expand others (Danube Valley regional services). Also it would add the quirk of the Immendingen branch being non-electrified while the Hattingen branch is electrified. This would greatly increase variety on the route.

I hope my ramblings were of interest to some. ;)

TL;DR: Great suggestion, many services are possible and I´d really love to see the Schwarzwaldbahn in TSW 2. :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The 120 are retired since last year.
    But we need this Loco finally

• Like Like x 1
  11. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

The 120 + IC Coaches (+Cab car)? YES.

• Like Like x 2
  12. drnicktgm#1259

I really hope that it will be added very soon

13. drnicktgm#1259

But what did DTG say in the stream about the Cab car? Because they said something with licensing, but I don't know

14. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

It's a great and really scenic route with some interesting curves and grades, in a part of Germany we haven't seen yet. Rolling stock is a bit same-ish, but there are options (like the BR 120, or maybe a different freight loco) that solve that. All in all I'd really like to see it :).

• Like Like x 1
  15. drnicktgm#1259

But it has a similar scenery like little Mittelwaldbahn, only that the Alps are missing

16. drnicktgm#1259

Here is a full ride of the Schwarzwaldbahn

• Like Like x 1
  17. drnicktgm#1259

Since Kassel-Würzburg is possible this route would maybe also be possible to make, and with the new dynamic weather it could be much more fun to drive on it with for example extreme snow weather

• Like Like x 1
  18. wgrn#6154

wgrn#6154 Member

The complete Black Forest route is too long to build. Even from Hornberg to Singen(Hohentwiel) is 106,5 km (66 miles) long.

• Like Like x 1
  19. drnicktgm#1259

I think the length shouldn't be a problem since DTG started to produce routes with length around 80 to 100 km, for example Schnellfahrstrecke Kassel Würzburg is 180 km long :)