German And American Train Headlight Regulations

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jsurfoo#3487, Apr 19, 2021.

1. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

I tried to do some research, but I can't really find any regulations on German train headlights. I am a bit familiar with the American ones on CSX, so I just need clarification.

2. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

3. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

I actually know about the arrangement of the headlights, but I don't know anything about what level they should be set to. I'm guessing this is influenced by weather and time of day.

4. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Bright during day, dim during night is what I learned in this forum :-D

5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That seems backwards.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

...because it is. You‘d use marker lights (or if not labelled as such: the lowest intensity available) during the day. You may use brighter lights during the night to see track-side signs etc. A rule of thumb for German EMUs is that if you‘re seeing four headlights lit up insteand of two (at day time), then the setting you chose is too bright.

• Like Like x 5
  7. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

I found this post on the forum.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Lamplight

Very comprehensive. The only thing I‘d like to add is that the one light for shunting is something of a regional thing. Where I‘m from, you‘d use the three light triangle on both sides while shunting. The rules are vague enough to allow for both.

• Like Like x 1
  9. casssp

casssp Member

This subject made me think about the purpose of the green, red and white lights, upper left and right, of the Canadian route. Please, can someone point me in a direction? I haven't found a good source yet ...

• Like Like x 1
  10. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

So for the 146.2 and 185.2, you set it to "Signal lights - Normal" during a good day and "Headlights - Reduced" with the high beam enabled at night? And it's the same thing for bad weather except high beam is disabled?

Also, does this also mean that the Talent 2 uses dimmed beam at night and marker lights during the day and the ICE 3M uses the normal setting during the day and the dimmed high beams at night? (not sure what the "dimmed" setting means, but it's the default. I think it's for the tailight) Also, whenever I use the headlights at night, I can only see a couple of meters/yards in front of me. #DTGplsfixheadlights

Edit: I read somewhere that the highest setting is used in conjunction with the horn.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I believe those are called classification lights and they were used in specific situations. For example one of them was used when a train consisted of 2 parts for some reason, so basically two trains following each other counted as one train. So the classification light was lit up on the second train's locomotive to show that it's the second part of the train in front of it.

I'm sure someone can explain each of these lights and their meanings, but basically they are not used anymore, so pretty meaningless.

• Like Like x 1
  12. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Quoted from the Trains article above....

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. solicitr

Note that classification lights were only in use under timetable-and-train-order signaling. This was replaced, by any time relevant to TSW, by CTC (Centralized Traffic Control), and so the class lights left on older locomotives would just be curiosities.

• Like Like x 1
  15. casssp

casssp Member

Well, now it's clear what the lights are for. Because I didn't know the meaning, I left the front green and the rear red, for no reason, I just thought it was beautiful that way. Now I'm going to simulate it like in real life.

Thank you all for your time and guidance!

16. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

I thought this was for German and American headlights.

17. solicitr

North American, if you will. In most respects Canadian railroading is pretty much like US.

18. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

True, as CSX does operate in some parts of Canada.

19. solicitr

And CN and CP in some parts of the US (a big part of the US, if the CP/KCS merger is approved).

And of course both use almost entirely US-built (or licensed Canadian-built) locomotives, so one would expect similar lights.

20. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

What about German locos? I know about their headlight/tailight arrangement, but I'm confused as to which setting I should set it at. The blue high beam button especially confuses me.

21. Lamplight

It's the same as for a car. You can use it to toggle between high beam and dimmed headlights. You may want to use high beam headlights to see signs as early as possible, but if there's another train coming your way or you're driving through a yard full of workers, you should dim your headlights so you don't blind them.

As I said, lowest possible intensity during the day (called marker lights or normal lights depending on the train in TSW) and dimmed or high beam during the night.

22. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

I heard that one person in this forum said that the headlights would be angled downwards with the brightness to max. I'm guessing that it would be dimmed headlights (the 3rd setting) with the blue high beam button on, or the blue high beam off with the bright headlights (max setting).

23. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I believe the High beam button only dims itself, you are meant to change between high and dimmed beam with the other switch.

24. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

How strange. I thought it actually controls the headlights.

Edit: On the post I made before this, I was talking about the headlight arrangement during night.

25. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

To clear up some misinformation, All US railroads are required by the FRA and by federal law requires to have their headlights set on bright and it doesn't matter what time of day it is or the weather it is. EXCEPTIONS......meeting or passing another train (either stopped or moving), going through any form A,B,C's, when the conductor is on the ground working i.e throwing switches and derails, within yard limits.

NOTE: they not required to dim their lights when you're driving on the highway.

IF for some reason one of the lead locomotive lights goes it MUST be replaced at the closest or next yard where it can be replaced. Now IF it's the trailing DP light goes out en-route you MUST chain your lantern to the hand rail and with plenty of battery life or get it replaced, whichever comes first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. solicitr

FRA would have a field day fining DTG's American locos for their totally defective headlights. No working setting above "night light."

27. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

T
    That is really good info and confirms what I've seen in train spotting / footage videos. Really powerful and bright headlights visible from miles away.

28. solicitr

The reference is to the fact that regs also require, if the last unit in the consist is a locomotive, that the back-end headlight be turned on to serve as a taillight. I think, but am not certain, that in this case the Dim setting is used.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. RestrictedProceed

RestrictedProceed New Member

I can confirm that at least for railroads using GCOR, but it's very likely other RRs use the same setting.

5.10.1: Highly Visible Markers
    When an engine is operating without cars or is at the rear of the train, the trailing headlight illuminated on dim may be used as
    a marker.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. Blacknred81

Looking thru my photos, and I can also confirm the use of dim lights on the rear DPU's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  31. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Lovely photos sir!

• Like Like x 1
  32. jsurfoo#3487

jsurfoo#3487 Member

So are number lights off during the day and on during the night/bad weather?

33. RestrictedProceed

That's an interesting question. I went through the GCOR rule book, but the only thing I found regarding number lights is this:
    "When an engine consists of more than one unit or when two or more engines are coupled, the number
    of one unit only will be illuminated as the identifying number."

Anyway, from what I've seen in real life videos/photos, number lights are on during the night, but can be either way during the day.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Well said and on LIRR M7s around Mineola pre 3rd track construction the Grade Separation Project Hicksville Floral Park the front cab has Bright Lights rear is supposed to be Red Marker lights dimmed or Bright.
    The video is by Houston 747

35. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Dim set lights are usually used by American locomotives as rear marker lights. In the front, you would have your lights set to Medium/Bright during daytime and ditch lights on if available.

36. solicitr

Which they always are, barring a malfunction. Ditch lights (lit) are mandatory for any locomotive which passes grade crossings, which means pretty much all of them outside of yards. If a locomotive experiences a failure which cannot be immediately repaired by the crew (such as a burned out bulb), the loco is limited to 20 mph and must seek repairs at the nearest available workshop. This has been a Federal reg since the late 90s.

Pretty draconian if you ask me - it's not like they make that much of a difference.

37. Blacknred81

Must of sucked for this crew then if they had to adhere to those rules (Not my pic, the incident happened in Arkansas a few days ago)
    179230740_10165225931435652_4473927128503899249_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  38. RestrictedProceed

Fortunately, they didn't have to. It only applies if BOTH ditch lights fail. Single failure is treated in the following way:

77. One Pair [sic] of Auxiliary Lights Fail En Route (NS Operating Rules)
    If one of a pair of auxiliary lights fails en route, the train may continue at Authorized Speed, but the defective auxiliary light must be repaired no later than the next calendar day inspection.

5.9.5: Displaying Ditch Lights (UP GCOR)
    If one ditch light fails enroute, the train may proceed, but repairs must be made by the next daily inspection. If two ditch lights fail enroute, the train may proceed, but not exceeding 20 MPH over public crossings until occupied, but must not travel beyond the first point where repairs may be made or until the next daily inspection, whichever occurs first.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2