Br 101 - Superslip In Action

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lamplight, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Hey there,

since the Br 101s superslip (German: Superschlupf, not Makroschlupf as the narrator calls it) has caused some confusion, I thought I‘d share this video. From 7:38 onwards, you can actually hear the superslip in action.

This is a German documentary on the 101, which might be interesting in itself for those speaking German on the forums.

Cheers

Edit: Formated the post a little nicer

Edit 2: Corrected the part in italics thanks to Maik Goltz

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

But the narrator is also wrong with naming it. That is often a problem with such films. Super-slip is not the same macro-slip. It is distinctively named as "Superschlupf" and "Makroschlupf". What you hear there is Superschlupf with the screaming noises. Makroschlupf is way more silent and only audible near by the wheels. You can hear it in this video at the end .

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  3. Lamplight

Thank you for correcting this. I‘ll edit my post to reflect this.

Might I ask what the exact difference between super and macro slip is? I think, super slip is just very slight slipping of the wheel and the 101 is designed to utilize it. That leaves me with the question of what exactly macro slip is.

4. Maik Goltz

Superslip is a decent amount of slip by purpose and will not be stopped by the system. It is not a free wheel spin like full slip would be. It's just a bit above the point where the friction starts to decrease between wheel and rail.

Macroslip is the point where the slip wants to start, but the system trys to avoid it by braking the axle or reducing the power to stop the slip. This is basically a fast ping-pong game then and that is called macroslip. It slips very shortly, stops it, starts again and so forth. It is not the same as the older slip controls where the power gets regulated down alot and the axles were braked alot. It is way faster, so it creeps along that thin line between no slip and super/full slip.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Lamplight

That was very helpful! Thank you a lot for taking the time to answer my questions :)

6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I apologize, I am not too familiar operating the BR101, I got hold of a manual of the vR expert model for TS, but there is no mention of superslip, so how/when am I supposed to use it?

Is there anywhere I can learn more about driving the 101? I don't understand german :(

7. Lamplight

I‘ll do my best to explain. I‘m sure I‘ll be corrected if what I‘m saying is wrong.

Once your train is started up and rolling (just a little bit is enough), increase the throttle until you see wheelslip on the HUD. This wheelslip will be somewhat violent and both the speedo and the tractive effort gauge will jump around quite a bit. At that point, do not decrease the throttle as you usually would, but instead increase the throttle. Soon, you‘ll see the tractive effort and speedo stabilize while the HUD is still displaying wheelslip. This will be accompinied by a high pitched screeching sound as in the video I shared. This is when you‘ve achieved super slip. Your speed will steadily climb at this point with a quite consistent tractive effort.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Maik Goltz

The TS1 version has no super-slip, only audio for it. The simple formula for using superslip is to put the throttle lever somewhere above 80% and the rest is magic from the ASG/ZSG systems. Unfortunately in the TSW version you can have super-slip from above 65% or so. It was hard to get that working anyways and there was no time to finetune it further.

How and when: how i explained above, when: the developer of the 101 says "use it always to get the max TE out of the loco". The drivers and passengers say "no, thanks". So it is not used often and the driver tries to set the requested TE to an amount below the super-slip comes in action. You need to 'play' with it. There is no receipt for it. Find your way to drive that loco and stay in the timetable :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your detailed answer, I'm always keen on knowing more about real procedures and driving techniques,

Again, thanks for all the work you put into the 101, and for answering my question, I will experiment more and find my own way to drive it, I am already loving the 101, and I've been playing it a lot since release.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  10. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Thanks Maik,

Things like this are why DTG should have released a manual with this loco - however I appreciate your time explaining this on the forums.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Amax

Amax Active Member

for starting you must put max 75% and when you are at 60klm / h you can put traction at 85% and that's magic sorry for my English

12. Amax

Amax Active Member

pour débuter il faut mettre max 75% et quand on est à 60klm / h on peut mettre la traction à 85% et c'est magique désolé pour mon anglais