Measure Upcoming Speed Limit Increases On The Hud From The Rear Of The Train Instead Of The Front.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TheRealJuralumin, Apr 24, 2021.

1. TheRealJuralumin

TheRealJuralumin Member

As someone who's come over to Train Sim World recently from playing lots of Densha De Go!, something that struck me was the way speed limits are shown on the HUD; when the speed limit is changing, it counts down the distance to the sign in metres/yards on the top right of the HUD, which works great when the speed limit is lowering, but becomes a lot less useful when the speed is increasing, since you can't actually speed up until the rear of the train is past the sign, and there's no on-screen indicator for when that will occur, so you just end up staring at the speedometer waiting for the marker to move up. I think it'd work better if the distance was measured from the rear of the train to the sign when the limit is increasing (still obviously measure from the front for when it's lowering), that way you'd have a nice on-screen countdown to when you can throttle up. It can also become confusing when you pass a sign and it immediately brings up the next speed limit change on the HUD before you've finished passing the first one.

This is a non-issue in Train Simulator 20XX because you have the radar-thingy on the HUD that shows your whole train in relation to signs and signals, making it very easy to know when you're past a sign, so maybe something like that could work too.

I know the obvious response here is "Just learn how long your train is" but I just think the way it currently is isn't as helpful as it could be, and both Densha De Go! and TS20XX do it better.

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The HUD is only replicating the information given on trackside speedboards, and a countdown to their location. It is up to you as a driver to know the length of your train (whether you think you should or not) and estimate how long it is likely to be before you can speed up. When the dot moves on the speedometer it is confirmation of your train having passed the sign, so you can just wait for that to be certain. You also don’t have to speed up immediately the line limit changes, so it’s no big deal if you do it a bit late.

If it was to go on the HUD it wouldn’t be a good idea to have the main speed limit indicator changing in two different ways for increasing and decreasing limits so a second ‘rear of train’ countdown could be added, maybe in yellow, under the main one. This could be turned off in the settings, for those people who don’t need the extra hand holding or think it would be too much screen clutter. You would only really need it for long trains because it’s so easy just to count in your head for shorter trains.

I don’t think it’s necessary but others might find it handy.

• Like Like x 6
  3. TheRealJuralumin

TheRealJuralumin Member

Not the way I play! I'm always aiming to stop right on the marks down to the cm, and have the doors open bang on time at every stop. I actually get a little frustrated when I fall more than 30 seconds behind schedule... But I know I'm in a very small minority here, I just liked the idea of having more accurate info on the HUD so I can save as much time as possible, speed limit changes are where lots of time can be gained back!

• Like Like x 1
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I like to be accurate too but not as much as you it seems. Some people would argue we are both cheating by using the HUD at all. Everyone plays differently, which is great. These days I don’t actually mind being a bit late at stations. My virtual passengers don’t seem to mind either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheRealJuralumin

TheRealJuralumin Member

Well that's very true, I think I'd just end up overshooting every station without the distance read-out in the top left! But it's all about route memorisation I guess, and hours and hours of practice...

I think that's one of the things that draws me into simulator-type games, there's no right or wrong way to play!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I prefer the HUD as it is now in terms of it where is measures the next speed increase.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Agreed. The red dot on the speed dial moving is enough for me (also the BR 182 has a railrunner, if you double click on the throttle lever, it will beep when you've covered 1 train length). Don't mind this suggestion being an option for the people that want it though.

• Like Like x 2