Series X/s-auto Hdr And 60fps Mode

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthewbguilford, Mar 16, 2021.

1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I recently had purchased an Xbox Series X coming from a PS4 pro this last console generation. When I loaded up TSW2 for the first time I was really blown away by the game I was playing on the Series X compared to the PS4 pro. Where I was lucky to get 30fps before I now am getting almost a constant 55-60 FPS, I watch gameplay from higher end PCs that can’t manage to have such a smooth frame rate as we get on the Series X. I also feel like the auto HDR feature has a positive impact on the visuals for this game. My question is how are people enjoying TSW2 with the Auto HDR feature and the very much improved frame rate? Would you like to see this game have the option for 60 FPS compatibility through the new Microsoft core update (can double, quadruple a games frame rate without actually touching any code in the game)? I am also curious if people would be interested in a version of TSW2 released that takes advantage of the new generations power? Thank you for taking the time to read my post and feel free to leave any comments!

• Like Like x 5
  2. joulz75

joulz75 Active Member

Sure, a next gen optimized version of tsw would be perfect. And finally we could have all the layers ! Wait and see...

3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I suppose there will come a tipping point, when the number of next generation consoles exceeds the current ones. How that would be measured for TSW I have no idea. Given the current market situation, that could be quite a while. Looking at the specs for the new consoles, they have a lot of horsepower, enough to rival many pc's. But, like those pc's, much of that capability is currently unused. DTG have said very clearly that there will not be a separate version of the game for next generation consoles, because it would require testing 5 versions for every dlc and patch etc., instead of the current 3. As of now, we have parity across all platforms, which is fair and equitable.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  4. joulz75

joulz75 Active Member

I'm sure they could make a next gen version of the game as many devs (and not only the big teams) already do or will do. The bugs shouldn't be very different between a xbox one and a xbox series x or between a ps4 and a ps5. Otherwise, how could they test every pc configuration for every dlc and patch if we stick to your logic? That doesn't make sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

its the full SSD's support that will be great as it will be able to load assets in faster, remember a game needs to be optimised to get the full speed out of the drives as they have hardware compression / decompression to get the most out of the speed of the drives (existing titles dont use it). Existing titles are faster to load than a normal drive but cant access the full speed of SSD

I suspect we may get some sort of Xbox Series / PS5 patch for TSW2 with its update later this year (I hope!)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crosstie

Not my logic.

• Like Like x 1
  7. joulz75

joulz75 Active Member

Weird logic anyway.

8. whiteleym#4287

whiteleym#4287 Active Member

Love how smooth the framerate is on my Series X. Makes me wish we had the top level draw distance and textures like the PC to go with it though... Oh and all layers!

• Like Like x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Very smooth and quick load times did observe while playing TSW 2020 on Main Spessart Bahn LIRR & GWML. Back then when I played it on Xbox One it took 1-3 minutes to load a level using a Toshiba 4TB hard drive and Xbox One 2013 model.

10. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

So, finally having gotten a Series X this week, i wanted to add my thoughts:

Even without dedicated Series X enhancements, the improvements are dramatic:

Initial game loading time decreased from 3+ minutes on 2013 Xbox 1 to less than 30 seconds on Series X.

Loading a service/scenario decreased from 1+ minute to 15 seconds or less- some are nearly instantaneous.

Frame rates are dramatically better. SPG, which always struggled for me, is silky smooth even in Cumberland yard with multiple AI trains running.

Looking forward to additional enhancements in the future, hopefully including full support for layers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

Absolutely agree with you on that one it's even also applicable the train simulator world 2020 routes like Long Island Railroad and Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Gemünden pre June 2017.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hawks5896

hawks5896 Member

Got my Series X two weeks ago and the difference over my X box One X is quite dramatic.

• Like Like x 2
  13. driverwoods#1787

I agree and it also applies to train Sim World 2020 between a 2013 Xbox One and Series X. Check this forum for my videos produced on Series X

14. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

The FPS Boost feature you're referring to doesn't work that way for every game. It's not like Microsoft can just magically double the framerate for any title, I wish that was the case. :) TSW 2 already runs at an unlocked framerate, going up to 60 fps wherever possible. On Series X, it's possible to achieve on most routes. On others, it runs as good as it possibly can, there's no framerate cap holding it back. The FPS Boost feature Microsoft introduced is for 30 fps games to remove that cap and make them run at 60 if possible on the new hardware, or more in select cases. But TSW 2 doesn't need that feature and it's not even applicable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. PeterOnTheEL

PeterOnTheEL New Member

For anyone reading this who can't afford a Series X (or get hold of one) I'd recommend a s/h One X - the difference between the standard Xbox One and the One X is still massive and the One X obviously supports 4k resolution - including on TSW2 :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Same here, much much better.

17. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

With DTG asking about if we would be interested in next generation versions of TSW2 I’m hoping we will hear some info about that soon!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Crosstie

Very much doubt it. There may be more people every day acquiring next gen consoles, but the current machines are still the most prevalent by a country mile. Last I heard there were approximately 4.5 million PS5's out there, compared to close to 120 million PS4's. I imagine Microsoft's ratio is similar. As long as that's the case, DTG won't create a fourth and fifth version of the game. That would remove parity across platforms and would mean testing 5 versions for every DLC and patch/update. Anyway, when did DTG "ask" if people were interested in a next gen version? I don't recall hearing or reading that.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. appledates#4945

Hi! They actually had asked during their most recent seasonal survey, but just because they create a next gen version of TSW2 it doesn’t mean you will have to buy a different product, but simply would just be updated automatically for TSW2 users with next generation hardware. What would be a downside to a “next gen” version of TSW2, it certainly wouldn’t take away your ability to play on PS4 or Xbox one, It’s true with any console generation that the player base for the last generation console is larger, PS5 and Series X may be hard to get, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist, more and more are being sold every day and sooner or later will become the majority. Eventually when consoles are a little easier to get, I would hope to see a TSW2 that was being developed specifically for Series X, PS5 and PC.

20. Crosstie

See post #6 above, if you want the official line.

21. appledates#4945

What was the question that got this response, and do you have the date for which these quotes are from? I’m thinking because he states they have “Dev kits” it was a little while ago, but as with anything not announced on the roadmap they are not going to talk about it publicly. The couple times they have mentioned anything about “Next gen” they didn’t seem negative about it in anyway and in fact seemed to have hinted at it being a strong possibility of not “if” but “when” we would see something. Upgrading TSW2 to make use of the new hardware for the people who do own the Series X or PS5, I think the sooner DTG get into that ecosystem the better. Unless you were doing a totally different product, I don’t see how making TSW2 compatible with Series X and PS5 would add loads more of testing that wouldn’t be worth doing, and I don’t see how anyone could see this as a negative as the base PS4/Xboxone certainly could be greatly improved by the new hardware.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  22. Crosstie

PlayStation forum 11/10/20 "PS5 Upgrades". (Sorry, don't know how to link).

• Like Like x 1
  23. appledates#4945

Edit: I have had a chance to experiment on Clinchfield, I was able to attach an extra set of wagons on my train for a total of 88 wagons and my Series X was running surprisingly well. I would love to see them start using 80+ wagon trains on new gen consoles and Pc.