Nvidia Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pure nostalgia, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

I have just received driver update 397.31 for my GTX 1080, has anyone got any suggestions as to the best settings for the card to improve TS2018? Up to now I have left them at default.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Farmer_C

Farmer_C Well-Known Member

Thanks Pure nostalgia for raising this question. I also have a Nvidia GTX 1080 card and I feel that I am continuously struggling with the settings and cant' seem to get them right. I hope someone could shed some wisdom on this issue, as it would be very useful and greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VION

VION Active Member

Hi, I have too a GTX1080 and I run TS2018 on DSR mode 3840x2160 on a 1920x1080 monitor. In Nvidia I let the 3D settings on the global part by Application controlled at the best quality. In game options I choose the res 3840x2160 with FXAA+MSAAx8, Aniso to x8. To avoid crash problems, I set the Texture quality (first item on graphics appearance) to the first quater from the left slider and lower the Shadows to the second notch, Water to medium all the rest is full right sliders and ticked cases are all set only the bloom effect unticked.
    And to finalize I lock my FPS to 30 in Steam launch options.
    Playing, and looking at Windows Task Manager performance tab on my second monitor, the graphic card is in average loaded to 50% and CPU not so much may be 20/30%.

PS: to be more precise, the 3840x2160 res in game options is only available in full screen mode.

Cheers
    Gerard

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Farmer_C

Thanks Gerard for your answer and for these great tips. I will look into them closer as soon as I’m back at my PC. One follow-up question though, if I may. You said that you lock the FPS to 30 in Steam. If for some reason during game play FPS-rate is in risk dropping below 30, will the Steam lock automatically momentarily adjust graphics settings so that FPS-rate doesn’t go below 30, or how does this Steam lock work?

5. VION

VION Active Member

Farmer_C Steam lock the framerate at 30 FPS but if the FPS drop lower 30 Steam doesn't compensate; it lock all above 30 FPS but not raise the FPS to 30 when the game framerate drop below 30. locking the framerate avoid to overload your GPU by unneeded FPS above 30 and the game keeps fluid but you could get tearing effects that displaying two (or three) images but not at the same time. Most of the time you see the first image displayed on the top half of the screen monitor and the second image is displayed at the bottom half of the screen monitor (or vice versa) but the two image aren't synchronised. This give no problem because the two images displayed are so close in the time that don't disturb the immersion only players who want to get a real synchro at 60 FPS with the GPU rendering and the monitor refresh rate.
    The tearing effect is no so much disturbing and appear only when you are moving the point of view around .
    But if you are recording a video for upload on whatever channel, the tearing effects could be un welcome for the watchers. depend of their appreciation ;-)
    The goal is to keep your hardware away from overloading all the time because the hot and electric consumption unnecessary and you can keep your feeling gameplay as best as you love it.
    To add some more : you can lock the FPS to 30 and record your video at the same framerate. You gain two things first your gameplay while recording is not so much affected and the total datas recorded in your video reduce the file's video weight (less data recorded) without so much skipped images and give an acceptable appearance for the watchers/viewers as long as all is fluid without saccades. ( I just suscribed to your YT channel ;-).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  6. Farmer_C

Thanks Gerard. I really appreciate your thorough analysis on this matter. I certainly would like to discuss these FPS matters further with you. I noticed that you also have a youtube channel for game play videos.

I’m currently away for the weekend, and typing messages with my mobile phone is somewhat slow and burdensome. I will write more once I get back home. I’m very keen on tuning my graphics settings as optimal as possible, so that I can create high quality TS18 videos.

7. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

I run the sim in 3840x2160 resolution in Borderless mode, here is how.
    1. Set to 3840x2160 in Full Screen
    2. Start the sim.
    3. Go back to settings and change to Borderless.
    The resolution should remain at 3840x2160.

Mike

8. VION

VION Active Member

Pure nostalgia Yes but may be when you have to restart the game, the res 3840x2160 is no more available for Borderless mode or bring some glitches unneeded.
    I let always to full screen mode without issue moving between my two monitors with the mouse cursor. Only if I click on the area desktop on my second monitor, the game go away to standby mode and paused. Thats the only disturbance I get using two monitors and the game in full screen mode.

9. VION

VION Active Member

Ok I saw you suscribed to my YT channel and you are welcome but I don't record so much videos so don't attempt to get a weekly new video as I don't upload videos frequently.