Apply For A Discount

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Coastway trainspotter, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Hi everyone ,

Not sure if this is a good idea or not , but I was thinking that there are lots of people who really enjoy TSW2 and the dlc , but can’t get everything that they would like to buy , so what if instead of buying the dlc , you could fill out a quick ‘apply for a discount’ form , explaining your situation and why , and then you might get a response and a discount on a dlc . I’m not sure if steam , Microsoft and Sony allow this , but just an idea

Thanks for reading

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s an odd idea. I would have thought it would be simpler for people who don’t have the money for expensive things to either accept that they can’t have them or find a way to obtain the money to be able to afford them (legal ways of course). There have been lots of things I’ve wanted throughout my life that I never got, or I had to wait many years before I had the means to obtain them. It’s just the way life is.

• Like Like x 13
  3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Or just wait for a sale......

• Like Like x 3
  4. Coastway trainspotter

But sales don’t happen very often

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes they do...

Gaming is not a charity and it makes me laugh that people who have paid upwards of £800 for a computer and £40 a month for internet access then bleat about paying £25 for a game.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Coastway trainspotter

Ah , I see , you are assuming that I am on steam . Wrong . I am on console , like 66% of other TSW2 players . Bear in mind that not everyone has the money for a gaming pc , and may have to play on console instead . You really shouldn’t assume that everyone can afford a gaming pc , it could offend people

7. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Well most TSW2 people are on PC due to the fact the TSW was orginally an PC game before getting switched to also consoles

8. Coastway trainspotter

Actually , it is 33% across all platforms , so the 33% and 33% for Xbox and PlayStation adds up to 66% , meaning that only 33% are on PC

9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well you still have to buy a console and still need a strong internet connection to service the game.
    Point is, there’s no such thing as a free lunch, DTG are a software company not a food bank and ultimately, if you can’t afford to pay, then you don’t play.

• Like Like x 4
  10. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Just save up for a route or loco dlc you want. That's what I do, as well as waiting for a sale on TSW routes i'll buy a PSN voucher from a site which sells them cheaper than face value so I save a little bit more on top of the sale DTG have. I'm not paying full whack for what we get currently.

11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome to "real life" where if you can't afford something, you don't get to have it

• Like Like x 6
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

What about the other 1%?

They told us once that the players were roughly equal numbers on each platform but that doesn’t equate to an exact 33.33% figure. The ‘roughly equal’ answer means nobody can claim any platform is more popular, but in reality console players probably* outnumber PC by a bigger margin across both TSW titles. There will be a number of people who buy it then never play it, and TSW2020 was on gamepass, so sales figures will differ again from player numbers. Only DTG will have the real figures and there is no way that if 80% or more of players are console players that they would tell us, as it would cause issues on the forum. A political ‘roughly equal’ answer is good spin.

It’s not important what the split is as long as total sales are high. That means we all get to enjoy it. Unless you have no money and then you are scuppered.

*I said ‘probably’ as my sources are not confirmed, and possibly just anecdotal in nature, as many things are.

13. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

As you might have already seen, most people are against a "Apply for Discount" option. I am also against it. But to show why it would be a bad idea let's think it through:
    So there is such an option. But just writing "I can't afford it" to get a discount wouldn't be enough. Nearly everybody would write that to get a discount so with that you could just lower the price. So to give the discount only to people that can't afford it you would need some kind of legal check. And even if you can provide such evidence you would need at least one employee who would only check these applications. DTG is not a charity, it's a business and for a business, it's not logical to have to pay an employee whose sole purpose is to decrease the company's income.
    In another thread, there was also the argument that DTG should lower the prices because more people lost their jobs in consequence of the pandemic. This argument isn't valid either, because with lowering the prices DTG might have to fire some employees as well. Just because companies had to reduce their staff, other companies shouldn't do it if there is no necessity.
    Whilst discounts are more limited on console there are still a good number of them throughout the year. Regarding the number of hours of playtime per unit of money, TSW has fair pricing. And as long as you aren't Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos there will always be things that you can either never afford or need to save money for a long time. Just save your money until a sale comes around or until some key seller has them in stock to buy them (not advertising any key sellers; there are mixed opinions about them).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

C'mon guys and gals, have a little more heart. Yes, those of us who have lived long enough, realize that you can't always get what you want, and yes, DTG is a business, not a charity and doesn't give hardship discounts. But, hey, lots of companies do, at least in the US and what's wrong with asking? I still ask for discounts at my ripe old age, when I buy a car, when I look for a service, and because I'm a senior. So let's not forget what it's like to be younger and have limited disposable income. I didn't realize there were so many hard hearts on the forums.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

The problem is not to ask for it, the problem lies on DTGs side. How do you choose who's getting a discount? In the real world, you can talk to the seller but in the digital world, the seller and the buyer can't speak or even see one another. DTG makes an offer and you can accept it or not.
    I have a limited income myself but I don't whine about that things are too expensive for me, I save money. And I don't see the need to apply for a discount when DTG have as many sales as they are allowed to in a year. If you don't have patience you'll pay extra if you wait you'll have your discount.

16. Coastway trainspotter

Agreed , you may not get something even if you ask , but you definitely don’t get anything until you ask

• Like Like x 2
  17. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

that is rare for Xbox Players...

18. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I have no problems with anyone asking for a discount. The seller can always refuse.

However, to expect a discount just because you can't afford something is unfortunately a trait of the entitled society we live in today.

Too many people believe they are entitled to something just because others have it.

On more than one occasion have I witnessed people in line at a food bank browsing Facebook or whatever on their phone whilst waiting for a hand out.

If you can afford to spend £10, £20, £30 or maybe more a month on a phone contract, then you can afford to feed yourself.

It's all about priorities!

• Like Like x 2
  19. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

No. There are sales like every 2-3 months (if even that long, literally one going on right now). Wait for sale, buy DLC. I'm actually quite upset DTG doesn't raise their prices on route DLCs because their quality is dwindling. I would rather pay a few dollars more and have a quality product, rather then spend less and have a product that looks good half of the time because you can tell it was rushed.

20. Coastway trainspotter

As I already pointed out , not everyone can afford to play on steam through a gaming pc so not everyone gets all the sales that steam players get . I know DTG can’t decide when to have sales on console , but still a dangerous assumption

• Like Like x 1
  21. TheShotte

Sales happen across all Platforms, and are not restricted to Steam only. Sure, Steam has it's own sales and whatnot, but so does the PlayStation Store and Xbox Marketplace.

22. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

Playstation runs sales for this game all the time.

23. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I think the main problem with the 'apply for a discount' idea is that everyone would try and do it and each case would have to be reviewed individually which will take up loads of time and money. It's a lose-lose situation for DTG, why would they put time and money into something that means they earn less. Plus there would be difficulties in verifying if applications are genuine. It's a nice idea but reality kind of gets in the way of things sadly.

• Like Like x 3
  24. apophis55

apophis55 Active Member

Now this is what is wrong with society. Utter lack of shame and selfrespect...

• Like Like x 3
  25. Coastway trainspotter

Not as often though

26. Coastway trainspotter

Lack of shame ... what do you mean ?

27. TheShotte

A. Everyone would apply for a discount.
    B. Someone would have to go through those applications.
    C. Actual discounts would have to be granted

So OP wants DTG to not only not make as much money on routes, but also spend actual resources on employees to review those applications, because they can't budget $30 for a route every other month? Solid idea. Go to your local pub and ask for a discount, see how well that works out for you. DTG are ultimately doing this to make money, not for your enjoyment. If DTG don't make money, DTG don't make routes. I want DTG to make routes because I like playing said routes.

• Like Like x 3
  28. tallboy7648

DTG have said though many times that if prices would go up, the quality of the content may not change so you would pay more for similar quality. Clinchfield is a high quality route and is standard price which proves prices don´t need to increase to get better quality. It´s up to dtg to deliver

29. tallboy7648

Yeh but xbox rarley has sales. Yes tsw may have sales but don´t assume they are frequent on all platforms because on xbox it is not.

30. TheShotte

I follow DTG fairly closely, constantly watch the streams, and this is the first time I am hearing this. Actually, the further I think about this statement, the more I realize it cannot be true. You're basically saying that DTG said - "Yeah guys, if we charge you more money, you're going to get absolutely nothing more for it, we're just going to bank that extra money.". DTG's PR staff is quite keen, so I am finding this highly doubtful.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  31. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s true. If prices went up, the money would be spread across multiple departments and not all go to the development team. That’s what Sam said.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Even if prices went up, who says sale number won't drop? Not everyone may be willing to spend more money on DLC. DTG has been using the same prices for DLC for quite a while (TSW DLC is pretty much the same price as TS DLC), so I think they know how much money people are willing to spend and they already found their sweet spot with their price tag.

• Like Like x 1
  33. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

There's no real reason for anyone to pay full price nowadays. There are so many sales and discounts, that the "sale" price is probably closer to what the real price is and if people do pay the RRP it's a bonus!