Why Does The Driver Close The Doors?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 749006, Apr 26, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think you’re expecting too much. More time needed at platforms would likely require a new timetable

2. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

Actually it's not that much coding. Compared to tens of thousands of lines in that game, it's just maybe a hundred. Just some variables, checking them, some if-else logic. Compared to the rest of the game it's really not that much, and not that hard to code and already implemented in other sims.

I think this game detailed enough to implement this feature.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Really... Given the complexity of several of the door opening, closing, checking and interlocking systems I doubt it is even a one shot thing, but would require ongoing development to implement each time a new train comes out as well as the various guards and alerts that would be needed to inform the driver of the right of way in various time periods.
    Heaven forbid the wrong shade of green is on the flag being shown or the paddle should have lights on it, but the one in game does not...
    (note irony)

And whether it's been implemented in other sims isn't relevant, unless of course everything implemented in TSW2 has been in those games also, but I've not seen that mentioned

• Like Like x 2
  4. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

There are much more complicated things already implemented in the game, it's not a door simulator, no need for every single different door locking mechanism to be coded but a simple slam door option with a guard buzz when ready to go could be an easy go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You possibly need to spend more time on this forum... almost any inconsistency gets jumped on at some point, and if they updated a system for one type of door, the remainder of door types would then "come up for debate"
    So yes, it would be the case of needing to "relook at the entire door opening system for all consist types"

• Like Like x 3
  6. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

Hi! I do agree that in respect to British operation prior to "DOO" we need some form of a third party to operate the doors. It does take away the realism for those operating pre- Doo Operations. (Also ops integral in the UK outside the Southeast until recently " With local exceptions")

• Like Like x 1
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Now I think of it, although I don't really mind having to press the button to open/close doors, even if that's something the driver wouldn't do in real life, it is kinda silly to see all doors open and close at the same time. Actually, that might be something I'd give priority. In real life, I think the doors are only locked or unlocked by staff. If nobody wants to go through the door, that doors remains shut. Also in modern trains the door close automatically after being unused for a few seconds. I don't have enough experience with older trains, especially in different countries, but I imagine that doors don't all open and close simultaniously, and some doors may even remain shut since nobody actually needs to open it.

Although in real life the guard would probably make sure the doors are being closed and locked (safely), I don't mind pressing that button. I think the driver only checks the doors are locked correctly before departing. (Either by contacting the guard, or some indication light in the cab).

Unless I'm mistaken, I think in my country it is actually the driver who unlocks the doors. It's then the passengers who open the doors. I've never seen the guard do that.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  8. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I'd hoped this thread would have died the death by now.
    You do realise that it will never be high on the devs list of priorities?

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

While on the subject of doors and I know I've mentioned it before, it's about time door opening off the platform or defined loading area was inhibited. If you stop short or slightly overshoot or even at a short platform, it's ridiculous to see doors open where passengers would face a 1.3 metre jump (or drop) to the ground. In the real world there are all sorts of safety protocols to deal with short platforms or a train partly off the platform. While it's unrealistic to rigidly apply the Rule Book, for the purposes of loading or unloading passengers on the driver's command there should be a better implementation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I'll stand by my post on this.
    Perhaps implementing a flashing Red flag during loading time - train is stopped - no need to 'operate' an open door button
    ...and then a Green flag when it's safe to move - no need to 'close doors' button?

• Like Like x 1
  11. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would be happy with something like that to be honest.