PlayStation Db Br 143 Broken?

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by Mattty May, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Hi there,

I’ve just driven the DB BR 143 for the first time in a while, but the locomotive feels completely broken to me.

In TSW 2020, the AFB allowed the loco/train to accelerate at a decent rate of speed. When you set the AFB to a lower speed, the loco would apply braking almost immediately and get to the reduced target speed relatively quickly. The normal brakes also seemed to be more effective, requiring only the minimum setting in most cases.

Today, in TSW 2, it seemed to take the loco a long time to reach the AFB target speed. When selecting a lower AFB speed, it took a good few seconds for the AFB to even respond i.e. for negative amps to appear in the HUD.

Does anyone know (particularly DB BR 143 experts) if the DB BR 143 is broken of it operates in a prototypical way?

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I suspect that the TSW2 version is closer to reality than the older one, at least with regards to the braking. The 143 is an old-school tap-change AC locomotive; I wouldn't expect it to have instant no-delay dynamics like the newer thyristor locos.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Exactly. I remember you have been dabbling with SPG, matjamca. Think of how long it takes an SD40-2 to get dynamic braking going when you‘re in run 8 - or even when you‘re already in idle. The Br 143 basically does the exact same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I must have gotten spoilt with its handling in TSW 2020. Never mind, if it’s normal behaviour now in TSW 2, that gives me something to master.

Thanks for your replies :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

Works good as in real life. Remember to change the throttle and brake force for a better journey. For the time that you need to wait for the electric AFB brake, it is because you need to wait that the engines stop and changes their direction. Also, if the engines are in neutral, you need to wait a bit more that the engines starts to rolling again. You can see this effect better on the br101, but all electric or similar kind of brake works in this way. EMUs unity doesn't count.