[mod] Coal Load (wip)

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by TheShotte, Apr 29, 2021.

1. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

So I've been messing around working on something. I would like some opinions if possible.

Default Coal Load:
    [​IMG]

New Coal Load Material:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bear in mind this is still very early Work In Progress. I've taken these screenshots literally the first time I've gotten the material into the game after constructing it in Unreal Engine. I definitely have some tweaks to make, but I think overall it looks decent. For those wondering, the material is compromised of Diffuse, Specular, Ambient Occlusion, Roughness and Displacement maps, all of which tile seamlessly and were created by me. I will post shots of the material when and if I'm done with it. I would appreciate some comments though. Which one do you think is better?

Also, I have not yet, but definitely will check the performance implications of using this material.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Nice job, I thought, that DTG make something similar to bring difference between processed and unprocessed coal but there is no unload services at Moss branch.

3. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Looks gr8 man!
    I like the top pic of your new coal load best.

4. TheShotte

Are there even CRR Timetable services where you actually even load coal from the tipples? Or is that just in the Scenarios?

5. TheShotte

Ultimately, I would adapt this material to all the coal loads (SPG, TVL, etc). I really do wish that like you said, there were 2 separate load types for these hoppers, processed and unprocessed, but unfortunately such is not the case.

6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I can think of one, loading from the tipple at Berta (F7 timetable mode)

7. TheShotte

Yeah I'm sure there is only 1 Timetable service, and I think only 1 scenario that has loading.

8. dedh98mosqueto

dedh98mosqueto Active Member

I would say the one you made.

9. TheShotte

Did some more work on it. It is now procedural, so no 2 loads are identical. I do have to tweak the mask a bit because I'm not like the ratios between the layers, but I think it's a solid start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. solicitr

I must say, while procedural generation avoids monotonous replication, the first version looked more 3D and less like a texture.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheShotte

I agree, it's because I haven't adjusted the height map of the base layer, so I am assuming it's using 0.5, which effectively makes the larger coal clumps stand out way less (max displaced height at 1.0). When I override the value of that 0.5 with a 0, it will make the larger coal clumps stand out way more which will make it look better. On top of that, I have to tweak the procedural mask so that it results in more of the larger clumps and less of the flat, fine particles.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. solicitr

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to this, because the game-default coal looks like fine black gravel.

• Like Like x 2