Route Suggestion S4 Dortmund-lütgendortmund - Unna

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Paulo_1997, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Paulo_1997

Paulo_1997 Active Member

Good morning, hello or good evening,

today I would like to suggest my first route.
    It is the S4 of the S-Bahn Rhein-Ruhr network from Dortmund-Lütgendortmund to Unna and back.

First a few positive aspects of this route!

1. A length of 30 kilometres. (Nothing special here, but long enough for nearly an hour (56 minutes) of driving time!)
    2. Driving a full shift on this route! Since the S-Bahn takes a turn at both of the stations, you can drive back and forth without changing the train.
    3. With this route we eventually could get the green/white livery for the BR 422.

Now let's start with one of the specialities of this route!

[​IMG]
    Dortmund-Lütgendortmund - This is an underground station, where the driver changes cabs. Departing towards the east you drive a little while through a tunnel. Next stop is...

[​IMG]
    Dortmund-Somborn - Until this stop there is only one track.

Dortmund-Germania - There are no useful pictures at the moment, but when I'm visiting my family, I could take a few. :D

[​IMG]
    Dortmund-Marten Süd - On the right, behind the bushes, there are the main tracks from and to Dortmund and Bochum. While this route could be connected to HRR in some ways, I find it hard to believe. Also I would like to see this DLC as S-Bahn only.

[​IMG]
    Dortmund-Dorstfeld - At Dorstfeld, there is also a stop for the S2 from Dortmund to Essen or Recklinghausen at the same platforms, as the S4 stops and an underground station for the S1 from Dortmund to Solingen. The S4 normally waits a few minutes in order to wait for passengers from the S2.
    Iconical is the bridge, which leads to the platforms and to each side of the tracks. (See the picture below)
    upload_2021-4-29_11-21-28.jpeg

[​IMG]
    Dortmund West - The speciality of this station is that you can see alot of industry along the tracks towards Dorstfeld, starting with the famous company ThyssenKrupp.

upload_2021-4-29_12-45-14.jpeg
    Dortmund Möllerbrücke - This is one of the more modern stations connecting the S-Bahn with one of the underground trams.

upload_2021-4-29_11-25-5.jpeg
    Dortmund Stadthaus - Here you have the connections to every other undergorund line, which are going through the city. It is the nearest station to the central of the city.
    After this station, you're passing the late Dortmunder Südbahnhof. Depending on the time, which the route will be set in, you could see many empty, unused tracks and haunted buildings or a big construction site, because there will be a large living area in the future and also a additional station for the people living there.

[​IMG]
    Dortmund-Körne West

[​IMG]
    Dortmund-Körne

[​IMG]
    Dortmund Knappschaftskrankenhaus (A real challenge for non-natives)

[​IMG]
    Dortmund-Brackel

[​IMG]
    Dortmund-Asseln Mitte

Dortmund-Wickede West - no useful pictures

[​IMG]
    Dortmund Wickede - Here passengers have the possibility to switch to the tram, which has it's end here and goes back to Dorstfeld.

[​IMG]
    Unna Massen

[​IMG]
    Unna-Königsborn - Now this is the most interesting part of the route. Here the S4 stops and the driver switches cabs. Now he waits for a train coming from Unna, because now he switches from the left track over the right track to another track going a bit back, but making a left towards Unna. The other train switches from the right to continue his ride to Lütgendortmund.
    Here is a screenshot from Google Maps to help you understand :D
    upload_2021-4-29_13-20-6.png

[​IMG]
    Unna West - From there it goes single-tracky again.

[​IMG]
    Unna - What you see in this picture are the platforms for the regional trains. The platform for the S-Bahn is in the back on the right side. The station is served by RE7, RE 13, RB54 and RB59. Several freight trains and one ICE per hour are passing here.

Now to the rolling stock!

[​IMG]
    BR 422 - Nowadays the BR 422 drives in green/white livery of the VRR. It would be great to have this livery, but it would be also okay to have the 422 in red and we make our own livery.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BR 143 + X-Wagen (as DLC) - This would be the same method as with HMA, the 423 and the 420. Since the 422 replaced the 143 + X-Wagen, it could fit as DLC for those who want a bit of nostalgic.

Why is this route interesting?

1. I remember not many days without riding on this route in any direction. Now that I live elsewhere, I could be at home every day!
    2. The turnaround at Unna-Königsborn is something special if you ask me. Many routes are forward only. This makes it more of a challenge to stick to the timetable!
    3. It would be a complete route where no one can force you to leave the train and wait for another to go back!
    4. There could be a bit of AI traffic at Unna and around Dorstfeld and Marten. The trains are already existing, so that would be not much of a problem. Even though the S2 is driven by FLIRT 3XL trains, it would be okay to replace it with 422's.

It was fun to write this suggestion and I will add more pictures when I visit Dortmund. I hope you like this route as well!

(All pictures were taken from Wikipedia)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

I do like the X-Wagen Suggestion but the route itself...just S-Bahn Trains would make the route "empty". I would rather have a Route with a mix of S-Bahn and Regional Trains aswell High-Speed Trains

• Like Like x 4
  3. Paulo_1997

Paulo_1997 Active Member

Well, my absolute favourite of the Rhein-Ruhr network is the S1 from Dortmund to Solingen.

You suggested the S1 already :D
    But from Solingen to Düsseldorf only. The whole route would explode from all the traffic xD

4. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

X wagon is really nice, but i would suggest another routes with a X wagon :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea what Dovetail Games will do if they need to make this route is very simple copy-and-paste RRO DB BR422 into the Green Paint then take RSN DB BR143 and pair it to the X-wagen. There is only one route that has that treatment so far Haputstrecke Hamburg-Lübeck to which RSN gave DB BR112 part of DB BR143 family and the Black BR 182 ES64U2 from Rapid Transit via Reskin of DB BR182.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dennis14

dennis14 Member

This is a good idea, because I find Dortmund must be in TSW2. Another Route from/to Dortmund would be very nice.

• Like Like x 2
  7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree and how about linking this to HRR with the Bochum Dortmund extension. In real life HRR is actually Duisberg to Dortmund with some trains going to Gelsenkirchen from the HRR.

• Like Like x 1