Tutorial Guy Won' T Talk

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by pennsy_railfan, Mar 21, 2018.

1. pennsy_railfan

pennsy_railfan Active Member

has anyone else notice when you do a scenario or tutorial the guy who talks does not talk

2. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

I think DTG said that they are putting off doing voiceovers for now in routes because they don't add much to the game

3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I beg to firmly disagree!!!! I liked those friendly voices in CSX and GWE!!!! Bring 'em back!!!!!!!

(please)

• Like Like x 2
  4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

And this is why they need to have some other text form than subtitles. Subtitles make people think that DTG intends to put voice in and that no voice is a bug. You know you have done something wrong on a project when an intentional change is seen as a bug

5. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that. I mean they could get decorative with it; clipboard with notes and so on.

6. pennsy_railfan

pennsy_railfan Active Member

yeah I totally agree

• Like Like x 1
  7. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

I agree. Either have someone do a voiceover or remove the subtitles. It's annoying to have the already low game volume automatically lowered even more when the subtitles come on the screen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

The issue with voice overs is this; because they have a limited production schedule of around 3 months they don't have time to do the voice overs. The scenarios need to be scripted, developed and working as intended before they record the voice over, which in itself takes time. If they record the voice over and then have to change something in the scenario they potentially have to redo the voice over. Expensive and time consuming.

The two routes with voice overs, Heavy Haul and GWE, had long development cycles; plenty of time to get everything right before doing the voice work. Everything since has had a short development cycle and, unfortunately, short development cycles necessitate sacrifices.

It's quality vs quantity at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

I disagree with those suggesting the subtitles should be removed. First reason is that due to pronunciation/accent it's not always clear exactly what was said and the subtitles make it clearer. The second and probably more important reason is that the subtitles can be translated into different languages for those users whose command of the english/american language is not as good as many of those posting in this forum.

10. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

I think, if there is no voice-over, then they should remove the subtitles and instead do a good old message window with the game paused in the background. So everyone has enough time to read and understand the text. Also the subtitles text is way to small for a primary communication method, its designed as a helping hand for those ho don't understand the voice clear enough.

The way it is now, everyone expects there to be a voice when subtitles appear, specially when the games sounds get muffled for the time the subtitles are there. So that is just really bad design.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gustavo - The RailWorker

Gustavo - The RailWorker Member

i think its not a big problem to have or not have the voices but I think that dovetail games should worry about the time it takes to read the sentence of the mission.
    "well that's my opinion"
    -please accept
    -Gustavo Magalhães