Make Ai Trains Delayed

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by nellican, May 1, 2021.

1. nellican

nellican Member

In TSW2 all the AI Trains are always perfectly on time, is this totally realistic? No. I'm just saying maybe add a way for them to be delayed because it just adds a bit more realism and action. Do you think they should?

• Like Like x 16
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I think a random delay factor would be excellent for immersion.
    Make one in [X] trains delayed.

3. fce

fce New Member

This seems like something that could come along with the 'rush hour' theme as well. A couple of things come to mind: People blocking doors for somebody else. Some emergency on the train and you have to wait at the next station for paramedics to arrive. A brake failure and all other services have to go over a single track. That kind of thing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

I am absolutely on board with this idea.
    Perhaps something customizable, where you can, as long as you're still in main-menu, set a delay percentage, so you can also set it at 0% if you don't want/like it. Perhaps with a recommended setting of about 5 to 10% so it's present, but not overly noticeable, and of course, the option to do 90+% for those that just like chaos.

Also to expand on this, although probably a lot more difficult to actually implement and so a lot less likely to ever make it into the game.
    I've always been a big proponent of dynamic malfunctions.
    Now, I'm not talking about anything big, I don't mean to turn this game into anything like Train Mechanic Simulator or anything even close to that. Rather, I mean, at the tutorials and during scenario's we're always encouraged to do our brake testing and safety checks first, but my problem is that they're purely done for roleplaying purposes, unless the scenario *specifically* is about that specific mechanical malfunction.
    When playing timetable there's absolutely 0 chance of anything going wrong that's not specifically done wrong by yourself.
    Something like leaking air that would require an emergency stop and reattaching the air hose or something like that is impossible, because coupling automatically attaches the air hoses as well.
    I'll make a separate thread about this issue soon, but this was something I did want to suggest as well.

Anyway, great idea, great suggestion!
    100% on board, hope DTG can add something like that :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Driconian

Driconian Member

Would help to add just a little bit of spice into the game.

If I recall correctly dosen't East Coast Way have a senario where a door gets jammed? That could also be looked into for delaying the player. Would have to be a really low % or it would get annoying.

6. nellican

nellican Member

Yeah definitely, would love to see it!

7. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

I like this.

8. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

For those familiar with Diesel Railcar Simulator, this type of feature is already implemented. You get random delays by other services running late (and sometimes early) meaning more unpredictable adverse signals. Delays are usually less than 2 minutes so it doesn't mess up the AI or keep you waiting for too long. Doesn't need to simulate failures or passenger incidents, just a way to randomise the AI timetable so there's a chance AI will depart say 30 seconds late or drive to a different efficiency. Result being that no two drives are the same, just like reality.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

All for this. Also accompanied by dynamic routing from the signaller/despatcher so you could get diverted off the fast line to slow line or vv to get around the problem.

• Like Like x 3
  10. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

See this thread and it seems that not everyone likes getting delayed. If they are going to add this feature to the core game, maybe there should be an option for people who don't like to disable it so everyone will be fine.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Only if they get rid of the current scoring system. Although delays are realistic, it makes no sense to penalize the player for being late if they're stuck behind a delayed AI train.

• Like Like x 2
  12. cyrill.kroonstuiver

To be fair, I'd think the current scoring system needs a little bit of overhauling anyway, with or without this feature. But you're right; it would certainly break it even further.

13. cyrill.kroonstuiver

It's not that we like getting delayed. We don't. It's that we like realism, for better or worse, delays are part of that, and so should be in the game.
    I do think DTG knows this however, and from what I understand that is something that's going to be at least to some degree overhauled in Rush Hour, so we'll have to wait and see in 2 days from now, when the announcement is officially made.