Do You Play With Safety Systems On? (german Routes)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by christofer.o, Apr 27, 2021.

1. christofer.o

christofer.o New Member

I didn't think that running with the safety systems enabled would make the game more enjoyable. How wrong I was!

After watching professor Matt's excellent tutorial from a couple of weeks ago I gave it a go anyways and I am glad that I did. It has for sure changed the way that I play the game and sparked additional interest for the German routes. I don't think I'll play without Sifa/PZB/LZB again.

Now if we could only petition the Germans to make PZB trigger an audible warning to acknowledge signals before the e-brake kicks in and you awkwardly screech to a halt a couple of hundred meters before a station... :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Safety systems are a must on German routes for me. I still get caught out occasionally, but they dramatically improve the experience for the better.

• Like Like x 4
  3. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

The warning is the upcoming signal itself. A driver should know the braking curve, conditions to prevent being caught out by speed reductions and it would be risky approaching danger signals too fast. That's all part of the 'fun' knowing the threat of an emergency brake is there. PZB has saved me in times I wasn't paying attention so I could continue playing without a SPAD (you can still SPAD even with an emergency brake kicking in).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I just started using PZB recently, and it's definitely increasing my enjoyment of German routes. Still get penalty applications here and there, but i'm getting better quicker than i though i would.

Plus now on Series X, my old eyes can actually read the trackside speed limits!

Been playing a lot of HRR since getting the 101 and it's becoming one of my fave German routes- lots of traffic and it's a good distance for me (i tend to save my long play sessions for Clinchfield/SPG runs.

I'm less fond of SIFA, though- just seems unnecessary with PZB on (in the game at least; it's different IRL of course).

5. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I can’t bear PZB , most of the time it’s fine , but it can go horribly wrong very easily

6. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Wrongly energised magnets on MSB make using pzb a nervous headache for me. I like the challenge but really don't like being caught out by errors in the route.

There's also a really hard to spot speed sign on SKA really low to the ground that I almost never see in time to acknowledge.
    If it weren't for those issues I would actually prefer to play more using pzb, just I never seem to have a run free of the errors.

7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Sorry to go a little off-topic here, but I'd like to explain why this is the case. From your post, I assume that you're used to AWS? There's a distinct difference in design philosophy between PZB and AWS.

AWS is designed to help the driver by announcing upcoming signals. PZB is designed to monitor the driver by having the driver tell the system which signals they're seeing. Having an audio trigger before you have acknowledged a signal is the very antithesis of what PZB is designed to do.

I know I went on a little ramble here, but I just find these little differences between different countries fascinating :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. christofer.o

christofer.o New Member

Thank you Lamplight that is an interesting point and I guess it makes sense from that perspective. My problem is usually not that I don't see the signal at all. Rather that I am occupied with putting on the brakes and monitoring my speed and forget to acknowledge signal that I just passed. However the quite distinct effect of an unwanted e-brake application and blaring alarms does a good job of reminding you to do the right thing :D Maybe the unforgiving nature of PZB is what makes it fun in game. It does also force you to pay attention and think ahead of the train. Anyways; I like it.

Btw, great info on PZB in the link in your signature.

9. Lamplight

Yeah, I get that :D It can get quite hectic when you're surprised by a restrictive signal.

It most certainly does. I've heard it enough to know what an effective reminder it is :)

Definitely. I think we can all still recall the first time we completed a run with PZB and no emergency brake application. Great feeling, for sure.

Happy to help :D

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t play with PZB and rarely use Sifa. I sometimes think that I should but I don’t. I’ve stopped using DSD in UK trains too, unless I’m playing when I’m tired then I might stick it on. I find DSD and Sifa to be too much like a nagging child (Are we nearly there yet?) and it gives no information. I use AWS and LZB whenever available, the ATC on LIRR, and whatever that one that’s on by default is in Arosa. Bleep bleep. I don’t mind PZB but I find driving without it more enjoyable.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. chargers1321

chargers1321 Member

I'd like to start using them more but even after watching a few tutorials online I'm still confused lol. good tutorial or manual would be nice to have that I can refer to as I try and use the system

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

PZB: "We won't do anything until you are at your most busy and stressed. Then we still won't tell you anything until you do something wrong. Then we won't tell you what you did wrong. But we will kill your train."

• Like Like x 2
  13. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

It is not hard as it seems, just neex to understand how it works in 80% of the cases, than practice and practice. If you need i can help to explain it

14. christofer.o

christofer.o New Member

15. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

First time I played Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Gemünden it's only Sifa on DB BR146.2 07:34 Aschaffenburg-Gemünden Trip. Followed by a proper Sifa PZB DB BR185 Rallion paint trip DB86108 double formation. To which I have post about Sifa PZB & Automatic Braking on this forum. After the experience I had with PZB Zwangsbremsung and I tend to do both PZB & Sifa on.

16. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I don’t use sifa because I’m on Xbox and the acknowledge button doesn’t cover sifa and and I can’t master pzb, however I know how to use LZB and AFB

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The thing is, the worst that can happen is you get emergency braked. So just have fun messing up. It’s surprising how quickly it starts to sink in and become second nature.

• Like Like x 2
  18. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

On the Xbox One Series X & S B Button acknowledges sifa and PZB if turned on.

19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The thing is, for me a Zwansbremsung is no better than a SPAD because I refuse to accept such a screwup on my part- I'll restore from a save or restart. (Also, on passenger runs it blows the schedule all to heck)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lamplight

Well, it happens to real drivers as well (without any emergency situation). Take a look at this - timestamp 24:41 if you can understand a bit of German, otherwise 24:48.

21. christofer.o

christofer.o New Member

Hmm. I'm on Xbox and the B button moves both the Sifa pedal and the PZB acknowledge lever. So for me at least it works.

I have had the occasional bug where B didn't move the Sifa-pedal. It was on an S-Bahn train on one of the Ruhr routes. It seems that sometimes if you activate Sifa and PZB while the character is seated it does not "connect" the B acknowledge with the SIfa pedal. If you stand up to activate Sifa and then sit down again it seems to work (and you can hear the pedal being depressed when you get seated and released when you stand up)

• Like Like x 1
  22. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

I think it’s Haupstracke Rhine-Ruhr (apologies if I have spelt it wrong) where you have to stand up and sit down for PZB and Sifa to work correctly

• Like Like x 1