Tsw: To The Beach!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 1, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Introducing Train Sim World: West Somerset Railway, the next expansion that brings a festival of horsepower to an authentic recreation of Britain’s longest standard gauge heritage railway – coming soon!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 13
  2. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Nice that it is the West Somerset Railway in a first try guess. But a little disappointed that there aren't gonna be any steam locomotives on this route.

• Like Like x 2
  3. williams6hn

williams6hn New Member

Brilliant! Will there be different liveries for the 47s and MK1s? And what type of coaches are included - compartment compatible alongside windows inside?
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  4. AyrtonS8

AyrtonS8 Well-Known Member

If you were going to make the West Somerset Railway, there should be at least 1 steam train included. Me and i'm sure a lot of other people too are going to be let down by this and I don't blame them. If you were not going to make any steam trains, you should of picked another route to make in my opinion.

Disappointed

• Like Like x 10
  5. Kuu Lightwing

Kuu Lightwing Active Member

I know at least one person who would adore that gronk... However, would it have the proper traction motor physics - that's the important question ;)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  6. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Britains longest Steam heritage line comes to TSW with sweet FA Steam engines!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thatmadgk

Thatmadgk New Member

Absolutely Disgusted where are the steam trains!!

• Like Like x 4
  8. Thatmadgk

Thatmadgk New Member

There are no steam engines coming with it lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

I get this - I mean i too wish for steam - BUT, this provides the perfect route for steams introduction when it is ready to be implemented. Steam might not be ready yet, but having an established route like this already in game would make their addition much easier. I know it might not be ideal, but maybe view this route as Steam in TSW v0.1?

• Like Like x 6
  10. Kuu Lightwing

A hopeful but unlikely thought: the gronk would be used as a testbed for coupling rods required for steam engine simulation.

Additional thought: They listed the exact numbers of the locomotives. Are we getting only two locomotives in total for the entire route? I get it's mostly a single-track route, but that's still way too few... not many services I could imagine for that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Wilbnil

Wilbnil Well-Known Member

very nice to see Br class 09.:) But no steam trains :(

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mephrite

Mephrite Active Member

Well, interesting, but still - not a german route. ;) So I will hold back till it came (theoretically next release for TSW should be with german stuff), like I did with NEC. Still fingers crossed for editor and multiplayer for HH, GWE and RT.

13. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Agreed. As well as this being set in a diesel gala, the line would be packed full of engines with all passing loops being used. Not just Williton like this will be.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Like many others, I am disappointed that there aren't any steam locomotives in this dlc. However, I think that the Class 47 and Class 09 are great choices for the first preserved diesel locomotives.

Also, will there be a Twitch stream or video footage of the route before release?

• Like Like x 6
  15. Kuu Lightwing

Well, they say that they would "lead the way" so, maybe we're getting more? Although, I can't imagine many more new engines added, so maybe some Class 66's? Don't know.

16. Thatmadgk

Thatmadgk New Member

class 66s are in gwe

17. Kuu Lightwing

Yes, I know. That's the only british loco currently modeled in TSW, which is why adding them would be easier.

18. NorthRail1

Class 66s aren't preserved and don't operate on the West Somerset Railway. They still only operate on the mainline network.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Kuu Lightwing

Okay, but two locomotives is way too few for an entire route with scenarios and service mode.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NorthRail1

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  21. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

I asked Matt this - about AI, or lack there of - answer: some creative license, and some stations open to 2 track. :)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Kuu Lightwing

Also, apparently they do have a shed at that railway:

23. NorthRail1

That's a GBRf class 66 which was just used for the gala before returning to main line service. At most galas, heritage railways outsource rolling stock as they do not have enough locomotives themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Kuu Lightwing

I see. But we are supposed to be "during the middle of its annual Diesel Gala" so I suppose this won't be out of place, would it? Plus this particular shed is apparently called "West Somerset Railway" so, eh?

• Like Like x 3
  25. NorthRail1

The problem is that this loco is a GBRf loco. Dovetail Games doesn't have a license with GBRf so they won't be able to add this.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Kuu Lightwing

Yea, I suppose that's a problem. I'll assume that this time they'll "borrow" a EWS loco for this Gala then :)

• Like Like x 1
  27. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Well, you must realize that not everyone that gets this route will have GWE. Even with NEC they didn’t use the SD40-2 or AC4400CW despite the fact that everyone has Sand Patch because not everyone will have Sand Patch in the future. They are not going to make a route require another route, and I don’t find it likely that they would make multiple service mode timetables just to throw in a 66. Maybe if they had another route with some GWR Hall Class they would make another services timetable to use that steamer for those who have it, but a 66 is nowhere near as important to the heritage line as some GWR steamer would be.

• Like Like x 3
  28. Kuu Lightwing

You are thinking about it from a wrong angle, pschlik. They don't need to throw in a 66 to have an 66 on this route. They'd probably need to throw in a 66 to have more stock on the route, because otherwise they won't have enough, and unlike any other BR locomotive, class 66 is already fully implemented. I'd imagine that if you don't have GWR, you still would get a shed.

EDIT: As an example: both GP40 DLC and NEC add centerbeam cars, so you can get them by buying either DLC. Why isn't this a possibility with locomotives?

• Like Like x 2
  29. The Train Sim Guy

The Train Sim Guy Active Member

I agree with you ayrton. The wsr without a steam engine does seem half done. Mind you that’s just me speaking as a steam fan.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

With steam engines I would buy this. But with diesel only I may skip this DLC.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Another one that's disappointed that there is nothing steam related. Can't complain about the route or the other loco's, but seriously no steam. Is any development whatsoever being done to the core game? I really thought steam would have been a priority

• Like Like x 1
  32. NorthRail1

https://steamdb.info/app/530070/stats/
    WSR achievements near bottom of page

The full list:
    • WSR Tourist Attraction: Complete 47 passenger boarding tasks
    • Class 09 Sound Advice: Operate the Class 09 horn 90 times
    • Class 47 Star Tours: Operate the Class 47 for 470 miles
    • Class 09 Gronk on the go: Operate the Class 09 for 90 miles
    • WSR West Country Wonderer: Complete all the available services
    • WSR Preserving Heritage: Collect all collectibles on West Somerset Railway
    • WSR Summer Vacation: Complete all scenarios on West Somerset Railway
    • WSR Star Pupil: Complete Class 47 Introduction Tutorial
    • WSR Gronk Graduate: Complete Class 09 Introduction Tutorial

• Like Like x 1
  33. Kuu Lightwing

Well, that's not much... And apparently that's indeed just two locos. I suppose there are multiple of them though, but still quite meh.

• Like Like x 1
  34. NorthRail1

Just one of each locomotive as stated at the bottom of the article.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Kuu Lightwing

I don't think it would be one of each. That's a touch unacceptable for a route. I'd assume that having multiple locos is the "artistic license" Matt was talking about here:

• Like Like x 1
  36. NorthRail1

The article just mentioned one of each locomotive. It wouldn't look good if there were two identical locomotives with the same number and same name plate on the route.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. Kuu Lightwing

The article doesn't say that these are the only locomotives on the route, though. It would be a suicide to release a DLC with just two locos for services and scenarios for the entire route.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

Really? ECML-S came with Class 365 and HST. Riviera Line came with 143 and HST, Liverpool to Manchester came with a 158 and QD only Class 47, Isle of Wight came with 483 EMU or 0-4-0 ST steam - I think you get the picture, clearly it isn't suicide to do such a thing.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Kuu Lightwing

Once again, I'm talking about a route with literally TWO LOCOMOTIVES, not two TYPES of locomotives. That should be apparent from the discussion preceding the post you quoted.

• Like Like x 3
  40. sem34090

sem34090 Member

Why... Just why...

If you want BR diesels, do a BR Diesel Era route. If you want heritage to get sales then bother to put in the star attraction at heritage railways.

When will DTG learn that people want steam locos in TSW, and more of them in TS?

• Like Like x 1
  41. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

It's not that it's not possible, its that it's not what DTG does. The entire reason both the NEC and GP40 have the centerbeam is because it a centerbeam is 'at home' in both contexts and it saved dev time to recycle. The 66 on the other hand doesn't make sense in this context as a 66 is not at home to the WSR-literally. The WSR is home for D1661 and D4107, and a ton of other things in that video, but not any of the 66s. You might as well put the HST in there, because HSTs have visited the line on occasion, but things like that are so anecdotal they might as well be down to custom scenario creation.

42. Dan_Der_Man

Dan_Der_Man Active Member

I'm sure if DTG was able to create a high quality steamer for TSW right now they would release it with this route. But as it stands I'm guessing their steam simulation isn't a 100% yet. I'm sure once they have made a quality Steam loco they will (not might) release a DLC with it.

EDIT: Matt has even said 'Steam will come. I've always said - not until we can do it well.'

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  43. FAFANE1271

FAFANE1271 New Member

et oui encore un fois sur xbox one on verra rien de cette extension alors quand il l on lance sur xbox il avais dit que on aurais les meme que les pc payer 30€ je suis très dessus de voir que rien ne bouge pour les extension pour xbox one autour de moi je recommande pas le jeu pour le moment pas assez de contenue pas rapport a ce que a été annonce

44. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

ANNND the cycle continues. Well, I think Im going to skip this one until we finally get some detailed information on promised features from long time ago like the editor or multiplayer

45. Ost-Trieb

Ost-Trieb Member

pls give me the pic from the top in 4k reselution

46. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Was kinda hoping for a Pacific Surfliner route when I saw the title, but this still looks pretty interesting. I'd give it a try, providing DTG learned their lesson from the disaster that was NEC New York.

47. hightower

hightower Guest

Genuine question to the DTG representatives/management;

Are you listening to the overwhelmingly negative reaction to this next DLC by virtually every single poster on every single forum you choose to go on? How much longer can you stick your head in the sand and pretend that people are happy with what is being produced?

I’m not sure but I’m assuming you think we’re all stupid? No fixes/development (announced at least) for the existing content which is desperately waiting to be fixed and expanded.

You then choose to release the shortest route yet that is already available in 2 different guises for Train Simulator. Given the route length and number of included locos I assume this will be cheaper than the other DLC?

This route is a heritage route where the main attraction is steam but it’s nowhere to be seen. What is the worst thing for me though is there is no fessing up and saying ‘sorry guys and girls but it’s not ready yet, it is coming though’. Instead you expect us to join the fantasy bandwagon and ‘pretend’ that it’s set during a diesel gala...who do you think you’re fooling?

I’m so willing you to make TSW everything it should and could be but it seems you’re hell bent on blowing your own feet off.

Lastly, please whatever you do, DO NOT release this unless it is ready. No one expects software to be entirely bug free but if people are picking up glaring c o c k-ups within a couple of hours of release again then I really fear for the future of the franchise, and that is a sad thought.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  48. Wilbnil

Wilbnil Well-Known Member

The next dlc looks nice/ok, but I won't judge it before we see some more and hopefully listen to the sounds. I hope DTG will get better with sound quality.

• Like Like x 2
  49. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

We shouldn't be arguing about what traction is or isn't included in the route, there should be a game mode that permits users to use whatever traction they like on any given route, as well as scenario creation tools. These things were standard in MSTS, Trainz and Railworks.

"Free Roam" or "Quick Drive" game modes would be relatively easy to code and implement if the game itself has been properly coded. So the question is why have they not been implemented? Is it a conscious decision by DTG to omit them, in which case I'd be interested to know why, or has the base game been developed in such a way that they can't implement them with any level of reliability?

• Like Like x 1
  50. Robhope

Robhope New Member

If the route is true to life then Crowcombe ,Washford and Blue Anchor also have passing Loops.