General Discussion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TheShotte, May 2, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes, but also add Platform-specific sub-forums.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

I know this has been already discussed, and I haven't seen a single case of DTG actually doing something as suggested by the community, but here goes:

TSW2 is a game that was created equal on all platforms. This is a strong point that they're sticking to. However, if this is the case, why are the General Discussion forums split into 3 different categories per platform?

The PC players dont go into the Xbox and PS forums, the PS players dont go into the PC and Xbox forums, and the Xbox players dont go into the PC and PS forums. This is normal. So, since it's General Discussion and not tech related, that's a lot of people missing a lot of threads that ultimately apply to them as well.

General Discussion should be just that - General. There should be a General Discussion, and either do per-platform tags like in Technical Reports, or do per-platform child forums (better). However, we need a forum in which a thread that is applicable to all 3 platforms is actually visible to people on said platforms.

It's almost as if they are trying to split the voice of the player base on purpose. It's funny though, because the actual forum that should be split, the Technical Reports forum, they've kept it together. What this effectively does is throw everything in one pot, and your post is irrelevant a few hours from the post time because people posted after you since it's all 3 platforms in one.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  2. TheShotte

Can someone please explain the logic of voting no? If my platform is stuck behind the decisions you make on your platform, how does it NOT make sense that I get some input on it?

3. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

Most people just discuss ideas or "suggestions" in the suggestions one tbf. Anything else I have to say I just do it over discord because it's more convenient and busier. It would make sense to have a general discussion but I haven't seen not having it as a problem while I use discord.

4. ItsYa165

Glasgow Cathcart Circle was a suggestion from these forums by the way. It's in production for TSW2.

5. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I voted "yes" because I tend to visit any platform forums to see what's being discussed. It's annoying so see thread conversation being split between 3 platform about TSW related topic. As a PlayStation user, nothing is stopping me from going over to PC or Xbox forums. Discussion thread should be in one place.

• Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

As was Victoria-Brighton.

7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

As long as it isn’t called General Discussion I’m all for a cross platform forum area for general discussions.

Why not call it General Discussion I hear you ask? Because General Discussion is the name of the TS general discussion sub-forum and if we have another one with same name it makes them indistinguishable in the “New Posts” list, as only the lowest sub-forum name is listed along with the thread. This would lead to clicking on endless posts about TS and that would be tedious for a TSW only user. The perils of having one forum for all the games. It needs to have TSW in the name of the sub-forum at the very least.

I currently use the New Posts feature to see the latest posts (it really is an excellent feature) and I read and reply in all three platform specific sub-forums, as well as the others (technical reports, off topic etc.).

8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Then just call it something else, like "miscellany" or " all-platform" topics. A rose by any other name etc..
    By the way, doesn't the " new posts " feature also bring up posts for TS 20XX? It does for me.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  9. ItsYa165

Yeah but so is suggestions...

10. ItsYa165

upload_2021-5-2_22-22-42.png
    If it's done with 6 other headings, it's probably not going to matter.

11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Absolutely yes so that I don't have to go into a specific platform forum for discussion regarding gameplay and issues.

12. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Yep, it is a puzzle.

I would go further than you (in an ideal world) and merge the technical reports section as well - however, Forum members would need to be very disciplined about stating their platform when submitting a report..... so a split here is inevitable. An alternative would be to have a public bug/technical issue database, to make it clear what has been reported on what platform, and what is considered a bug/feature, and what can/cannot be reproduced.

13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That is the whole point of not naming it General Discussion and the whole point of my post :)

Suggestions has another two sub forums when you click on it, those are the ones that come up in New Posts.

It is going to matter as it is the one that all the posts are in on the TS forums. The suggestions are split into two more subheadings in the TS forum and in Technical Reports the TSW posts have the prefixes in the thread title. If you use the New Posts feature like me you get to know all of this. That’s why having something to distinguish between TS and TSW in that feature is important, and that is largely the current system. The fishing titles also come up in New Posts too, and they have different names or a prefix to distinguish the subforum.

14. TheShotte

OMG... Your main argument is that it would be indistinguishable from TS forums? So call it TSW2 General Discussion, and call the one in the TS section TS General Discussion...

15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don’t know why other people can’t understand that.

16. TheShotte

Actually, to be quite honest, that's a bit of a flaw with the system on that page. It should say which section of the forum it's in, instead of just like "General Discussion". It should be like "Train Sim World > General Discussion" or "Train Simulator > General Discussion". As someone that's developed around 30 websites in their lifetime, I can attest to the fact that it would probably take me under 2 hours to make that change if there already isn't a setting somewhere on the Platform that would display that by default.

17. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

I would like to see the 3 groups merged together and use a tag to say if its PC, Xbox, PlayStation or Other like is used in Technical Reports

18. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I feel like we still desperately need this, and that it would be an easy change to make, so please DTG mods, create a general discussion subforum!

19. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Isn't bumping threads against the rules? :)

I agree though that a general discussion thread is needed. Why does the ts forum have one but the tsw2 forum does not?

20. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I mean, kind of, yes. I think that's a bit silly though, because that would mean I'd have to create my own thread saying the same thing, which is completely useless, but 'legal'. I think thread bumps should only be enforced when it's someone bumping their own thread again and again, or someone bumping an ancient Dovetail Live article in that section of the forums. Other than that, I really feel like thread bumping isn't neccesarily a bad thing, as the only reason for doing it is that there apparently still is a desire to discuss the subject in that thread.

That's a bit off-topic though, which again is againt the rules.

• Like Like x 4
  21. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

There needs to be rethink of the subforums entirely. I agree that there should be a general discussion subforum to talk about the game. I remember when Tharander Rampe came out I had to watch three subforums to get a first impression of what others were thinking about the route. I think it will also make the userbase understand each other much better. The only problem I see is the workload for the admins who will need to be moving a lot of topics from general discussion to the platform specific support subforum

• Like Like x 1