Should I Buy This?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vogelm10, May 4, 2021.

1. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

So...I have an old xbox with tsw2 however I have an option to switch to a nice gaming pc. I've been thinking for the past few years that I should switch over because the mods alone are amazing sounding.

My question is how is this game compared to tsw2? Is there more variety in this version? Are the graphics as good as tsw2? It's overall going to set me back about $1k but if it really is better I think I'm going to go for it.

2. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

I personally recommend playing both games (I do, though recently I've been playing TSW2 more because its on my laptop I have more frequent access to). They both have there pros and cons, and the "1K" price tag is only realistic if you plan to buy all DLC, which isn't really how the game is supposed to be played. If you want user content/generally a lot more content, get TS21. If you want realism and amazing graphics, stick with TSW2.

3. vogelm10

Oh no, my computer will be 900, assuming an extra few hundred for game.

4. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

I'd definitely recommend switching over from TSW. The amount of content vs TSW2 is pretty apparent. While it may seem daunting at first with around 10k worth of DLC, it's completely selective. Plus, you can even make your own custom content or pick from the myriad of third party content available without it having to go through DTG as an official add-on.

Graphics wise it might be a bit older than TSW2, but with Reshade and RWEnhancer as third party tools available, you can get some pretty outstanding screenshots (feel free to take a look around the forum for examples).

Now as for the optimization, since this game is a bit older you'll need to look for a good CPU as compared to a GPU. TS doesn't have multi-core support as far as I know, so you'll need something with strong cores. Another advice is to get a good high-speed SSD. I recommend an Intel i5, as the game will run better on that vs an i7 or i9. (Not too sure about AMD). In terms of GPU, I've seen people get by pretty decently with some older Nvidia GPUs. Overall probably a good 1660ti or similar, but if you want to go all out, go for a 3060ti (if you can find any).

Overall, I'd say its definitely worth the investment (I've probably spent around 1.5k on DLC alone), and you won't regret it.

Another bonus is the fact the game is easy to mod. I know a few TSW modders, and I've seen the modding process in action, but it's just too complex, and it overwrites the default. For example, if you wanted an, I don't know, YN2 AC44 (I forgot what's included in sand patch but I digress), it would overwrite the YN3 one included (or vice versa depending on what is actually there). In TS you can create your own reskins using paint programs (similar to the TSW paint thing, but not included in the software) but more versatile. You can swap sounds out easily, like if you wanted a K5LA on this loco but an RS3L on that, you can separate them vs a one-size fits all situation. So customizability according to your preferences is one of the best parts of the game.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

It's personal. If you like shiny graphics more than you like a wide range of trains and routes, then get TSW2. If you want a real simulator that you can actually drive a decent range of trains and routes, then get TS2021. Pretty much that simple.

6. vogelm10

So graphics wise how much of a difference are we talking? I can't imagine they'd be that bad.

7. Pookeyhead

Even that's not a straight forward answer, as there are so many ways you can customise Train Simulator, including graphics mods. Everything on max, and fully tricked out with graphics and sound addons, and with Armstrong Powerhouse trains, it looks like this...

8. vogelm10

Wow pc is so different than console, the add ons seem awesome. I think I'm going to just treat myself to something nice and do it! It's crazy expensive but I have been on the same xbox one for 10 years, time to give myself an upgrade!

It's my boss who is selling it so I know it's a fair price, he was playing cyberpunk 2077 on it today and that game looked great, so if that works it'll have to look good for train simulator.

Also it seems like we have a huge amount of countries to choose from with this game and that makes me happy.

9. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

There's steam locomotives for a start so yes- TS has around a decades head start on TSW to build up content. Users can make (and distribute) their own scenarios and routes using whatever DLC they own and it seems to be much easier to develop for from scratch too so, as well as the DLC listed in Steam, there's at least as much original third-party content available from several quarters. The quality varies of course but some is excellent.

No. There are some enhancements available but no. (I don't have any of the graphic or sound mod's and don't feel a pressing need for them, I'm just happy to be driving trains, but YMMV of course.)

I won't say, "Get a PC- what are you waiting for?- you won't regret it- are you still here?" because it's your decision. I would say that if you're getting a PC that can run TS anyway, and anything at all worthy of being called a gaming system should run TS nicely, you might as well try TS if you like the look of it- and you can get a good look at it on YouTube.

It's worth mentioning that buying TS2021 is not your only option. Older editions of TS are available from other sites in the form of Steam keys usually for less than £10 and may come with a bundle of routes that appeal to you more- personally I think the current offering a bit dull. Installing through Steam keeps the core program up to date so compatibility with later DLC, if you do start buying, would not be a concern.

10. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I have all 3 versions of TS and play at the time whatever takes my fancy. TS 2021 allows you to build routes, edit scenarios, and get DLC from other vendors, not just ones put out by DTG. Also has lots of freeware DLC from the likes of groups like UKTS, Trainsim.com, and Railworks America to name just a few. My computer is a fairly new one that I put together in December last year see specs in my signature. My CPU is a 10th generation Intel CPU but Intel is now on their 11th generation CPU so my i5 10600k CPU now becomes an i5 11600K CPU. According to reviews if you go the Intel way an i5 11600K is all that you need to play games on. Review of the Intel i5 11600K. Intel Core i5 11600K review | PC Gamer

11. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

TSW Advantages:
    Generally better lighting and close up visuals, if you like your trains looking shiny and new.
    Likely to still be supported by DTG in five years time.
    Runs on consoles.

TS2021 Advantages:
    Mid and distant scenery modelling can be better.
    More convincing non sunny weather.
    Massive range of commercial and freeware content and add-ons.
    Generally better physics.
    Steam locos.
    Narrow gauge railways.
    More countries and continents available.
    Long routes and complex networks of routes.
    Comes with an editor to create and modify routes and scenarios.
    With the right technical knowledge you can modify/swap sounds, physics, and details on rolling stock.
    With greater technical knowledge you can create locos, rolling stock and scenery from scratch.
    An open system allowing you to freely share/sell content with/to others.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Right on the money, TSW sucks you in, TS is the app that steals thousands of your hours :)

13. JJTimothy

Pardon my ignorance but- eh? Or do you mean TS, TSW and TSW2?

14. trev123

trev123 Active Member

They are all Train Simulators. TS2021 TSW and TSW2. :)

15. vogelm10

Okay...from 2016 they made the freaking Metra BNSF Racetrack! Imma buy this thing, that is utterly amazing how good the details are on this.

16. JJTimothy

But only one of them is called Train Simulator.

17. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

18. trev123

trev123 Active Member

You are correct go to the top of the class. :)

19. vogelm10

Wow that's so awesome people just fix the maps and make them even nicer! Too bad I don't know how to mod, I would do some crazy things.

20. Pookeyhead

So is TS20xx... just as Valve keep on with Counter Strike, and Blizzard keep developing World of Warcraft. Both are basically ancient. If you can keep making new stuff for it, and keep selling it to the existing user base, and keep selling the core product as well, then why stop?

Other than that, your list is spot on.

21. vogelm10

Okay! I bit the bullet and bought a gaming pc! Yay can't wait to get back into pc gaming! It's been a long long time, lol last time I was on pc it was playing Counter Strike and internet gaming cafe's were still a thing.......

• Like Like x 3
  22. Southerner

Southerner New Member

Keep us updated on your experiences, I am sure you will not be disappointed. Consoles have their fans and their place (I own a couple too), but to me a PC is a much better investment.

23. vogelm10

I'm sure that I'll be asking all sorts of questions, it'll take a bit of getting used to pc again.

24. Pookeyhead

Yes.. they make great door stops and book ends.

25. vogelm10

Wow....firstly...ouch these dlc are more expensive than xbox. However, I can't believe the variety of lines here....especially NA. I am so looking forward to this!

26. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Pro tip: Wait for a sale. Many routes go for 30-80% off most of the time.

27. vogelm10

Ooooh...cool okay!

28. dunkrez

Old copies of TS can be found via steam keys, a great way to expand your loco and route collection as you typically get a few routes per annual release

29. JJTimothy

Or get thyself to Dovetail where there's a sale on at the moment. You've just missed one in Steam but Dovetail typically follows a Steam sale with its own extending the discounts for another week or so. Of course you're not obliged buy any extra DLC right away but, "Thou shalt not pay more than 50% of RRP" is a motto of mine when it comes to TS.

30. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  31. Pookeyhead

I'd disagree with realism and TSW2. I assume you mean GRAPHICALLY more real because in terms of accuracy of the trains, how you drive them, and routes, liveries etc, TS20xx is far more realistic.

32. dunkrez

33. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I have TSW in my PS4 but I don't use it very much. As someone said here, I don't like the way things look at mid-long distance. The graphics for close ups are excellent, photographic quality, but when you are in the cabin (which is most of the time) I want a good rendering for distant objects and tsw isn't good at that. I'll be fair and say that I only have the 3 routes of tsw2020 and maybe this things were improved since then.

34. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

35. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Its also missing the Kingwood Branchline, as well as a few other US 3rd party routes and 1 Canadian 3rd party payware route.

36. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There are a number of omissions and errors - I suppose if the person who created it has not got the info for the third party stuff then it could get missed. Not sure why the NS Coal District was left off though

37. vogelm10

That is amazing!

38. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

Train simulator is PC exclusive. To improve your experience with a lot of uk stock. for example Armstrong powerhouse enables you to do so. TSC has different style graphics to TSW.