Tsw2 Save Game Transfer

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Commandgamer, May 4, 2021.

1. Commandgamer

Commandgamer New Member

On the roadmap stream today Sam said that progress from TSW2 on Xbox One wouldn't transfer to TSW 2 Series X|S version but the upgrade is supposed to be using Smart Delivery. But Smart Delivery is supposed to bring progress across. So I was wondering which one is true.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  2. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

That's what I read from the Xbox site. Hopefully they are using the existing Xbox cloud save or able to import compatible data from it into the Series X save data.

3. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

I don't know what Sam was talking about. On Xbox, every save file is automatically synced in the cloud, and when a game uses Smart Delivery it also upgrades automatically with all saves remaining compatible and intact. The only case where saves might not be compatible is when a game actually does not use Smart Delivery, but is instead re-released as a separate product on the new consoles. When you use Smart Delivery, it means that the game SKU remains the same, it's the exact same product, only it knows it's running on Series X|S. And save files, progress, achievements, everything stay intact as well.

For example, Train Sim World 2's Xbox product ID is 9pbb13rdd77z. It should remain the same after getting the Series X|S badge. This means that base game progress (driver level and stats), as well as the unlocked achievements / achievement progress should all stay, and we can continue where we left off before the upgrade. It's essentially seamless.

The only thing I can imagine not carrying over might be custom liveries and scenarios, maybe those files are not part of the main progress and achievement unlock records that are otherwise tied to our profiles.

I'd like a developer to clarify the situation here.

• Like Like x 4
  4. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

I believe he mentioned the transition from ps4 to ps5 when talking about saved games not the xbox consoles, that's how i understood it anyway.......

5. aaron1807

aaron1807 Member

Yes as has been previously mentioned any Xbox game which uses Smart Delivery means that your save game is automatically carried across. I have a Series X and for the games where I've had both an Xbox One version and now an upgraded Series X version I have not lost any of my saved progress.

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If it’s a whole new version of the game that’s being released for the new consoles, and it is seen as a separate game by the consoles, then the saved data won’t be compatible. It would be seen as a brand new release. These things can all be clarified by DTG before the release.

For the upgrade to the next gen consoles on either platform it might possibly mean all your created liveries and scenarios won’t come over as well as game progress but nothing has been said about it yet as far as I know.

7. aaron1807

aaron1807 Member

I can't comment for what it may mean for PS4 - PS5 users, but from reading the FAQs it states that for Xbox owners it will use Smart Delivery, which would imply that all save progress is transferred as standard. I have similar games which take advantage of Smart Delivery and haven't lost any of my saved progress.
    upload_2021-5-5_9-33-19.png

Attached Files:

8. dreampage

Yes, this is what Sam referred to, but in a confusing fashion. He said every content goes with you but not the "save file". This latter part is what we don't understand. It's clear that we'll retain the content licenses but what about progress? That should be automatically retained as well but his comments were confusing in this regard.

9. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

I was wondering this same subject. At least when I switched from Xbox One to Xbox Series X my progress remained but not sure how its going to play out this time...

10. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

I'm already on series S ( my progress carried over ) I remember back when fifa 21 released, they offered a free upgrade to users who wanted to use the newer gen capabilities, but they couldn't take the progress ( for fifa ) with them, I'm hoping TSW isnt the same process, nearly a 1000 hours play time is sickening to have to lose to upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
  11. aaron1807

aaron1807 Member

I'm not sure what happened with your fifa 21 upgrade because I retained all my progress when I transferred from the Xbox One to Series X, I also did the same for Forza Horizon 4 and didn't lose any progress. Save files are stored in the cloud on Xbox and data is synced across, the format for the save file shouldn't change.

I've copied the official line from Microsoft on game saves which is from the FAQs on Smart Delivery
    upload_2021-5-5_11-44-38.png

12. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

I used fifa as an example, I dropped fifa 21 after playing 20, just got bored of it lol.

I'm still going ahead with my TSW target by august, which was 1000 ( one thousand ) drivel levels... I'm on target.. just

13. box215

box215 Active Member

I think only FUT progress carried over to the X|S version of FIFA 21
    II had to restart my pro club player all over again which was incredibly annoying
    Not sure why EA did that but I sure hope DTG doesnt do the same thing
    I highly doubt it though, because they mention Smart Delivery and FIFA 21 seems to be an isolated example

14. dreampage

FIFA 21 was different because EA didn't support Smart Delivery. The various progress states were stored on their own servers, that's what you could take with you with the upgrade, the rest you couldn't. Train Sim World 2 will support Smart Delivery so it will (in theory) stay the same exact product as before. I still don't know why Sam said we wouldn't be able to upgrade our save files. Maybe it's just a PlayStation thing. It would be so good to clarify.

15. aaron1807

aaron1807 Member

I do know that Playstation users have reported a number of complaints with the way Sony have handled cross-gen compatibility and it seems that Microsoft seemed to have nailed the trick with Smart Delivery. Fingers crossed save progress remains the same!

16. stevenwalker1985

stevenwalker1985 Well-Known Member

I used a external hard drive on my xbox one. When i got a series x last week. Plugged into series x and had all my saves and dlc on it still. So no issues at all. I just continue where i left off