Something About Rush Hour And Upcoming Dlc's / Raildriver / External Hardware

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LightningPORTO, May 4, 2021.

1. LightningPORTO

LightningPORTO Member

Is it that hard to have remappable controls in TSW2? Custom joystick integration?

I think that the requirement for the raildriver hardware is too restrictive and other systems integration should be a priority. Hobbyists and many more people would be attracted to this game/simulator if it had such features.

As such, I will not be "looking forward" to these DLC releases until some development on these features is implemented.

For me, it's all about the simulation, the feel to have levers to control, everything, but not raildriver as it only represents American locos.

Is it too far-sighted to think this way? Am I asking too much for such a "small" development team? Or maybe it's just not worth doing for them since it's PC only?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

I wonder how many people (still) have a Raildriver. Sold mine years ago due to their outdated device and the constant fidling around to get it working in whatever trainsim I was using at the time.

Personaly I dont understand why DTG decided not to go for general axis control first, i'm pretty sure more people have a throttle controller (flightsim) then a Raildriver even more now MSFS skyrocketed hardware sales.

• Like Like x 2
  3. involvedmass

involvedmass Member

Especially now that the Raildriver has been out of stock (at least in Europe, and not the UK version) for a really long time. People say that they have managed to purchase one, but they must have been really lucky when because I've checked almost every day since November last year and it's never been in stock. :(

4. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

I bought RD 3 weeks ago JUST for the TSW2. From the feedback thread i would say RD is still popular, we are not so few :) involvedmass i bought mine on amazon US. I live in central europe. It came within 7 days, absolutely no problems at customs, everything was taken care of. It was 310$ (270€).

Ideal it would be - Customisted RD support for all locos and general axis control. RD support is slowly moving there, so I'm optimistic.

5. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Got myself a RD and having a blast. Instead if demands I enjoy using levers, and btw they behave differently in German locos ;-)

6. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm also a recent Raildriver convert. Never drive without it. I bought it for TS2020, but for me it's a game changer for TSW. I was fortunate to get mine just before they became difficult to get hold of. A lot of stores here have quite long back order queues so it's clearly still in demand.

Not sure why more people would have a Flightsim Throttle controller they seem to be just as expensive. I don't really like flight sims (I'm good at take offs but not so good at landings - Not a good thing for a pilot), so I don't.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LightningPORTO

LightningPORTO Member

I mainly don't see any logical reason on why to restrict it. I totally agree with the fact that many more people have throttle quadrants other than the RD.

Full joystick support is a must have for full simulation, in my opinion obviously...

• Like Like x 2
  8. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I agree. Full joystick support is a must. I'd love to be able to use my flightsim hardware and self made button boxes with tsw.

• Like Like x 1
  9. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

I agree, Direct Input should have been done from the get-go, like all other simulation software manages to do, as an absolute necessity. Most flight sims have a gazillion mappable controls, and racing sims can be equally supportive these days of button boxes and additional wheel mounted controls. I’ve most of the hardware and design ready, including some 3d printed lever hub parts for making a controller for TSW using the Leo Bodnar joystick interface but Direct Input seems to get less and less mention in the live streams, despite me asking for any update on it, with coverage in the Roadmap only referencing specific hardware (Raildriver and TrackiR). Just how long does it take to make button inputs and analog axes mappable!?

• Like Like x 1
  10. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Consoles have HOTAS flight sticks, so theoretically it could be possible to integrate it for consoles, at least for the trains that have a combined throttle and brake lever. But anything further that definitely PC only.

Same for customized controller schemes.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  11. LightningPORTO

LightningPORTO Member

I guess we have to keep this thread alive for DTG to notice us!

Anyone has some 3D printable projects in mind for custom hardware?

Here are my sketches:

upload_2021-5-5_21-16-38.png

upload_2021-5-5_21-17-34.png

• Like Like x 3
  12. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I play Elite Dangerous on Xbox, which has a fully remappable control scheme, and at least as many functions to map as TSW.

There's no technical limitation for remappable controls, it just doesn't seem to be a priority for the devs.

13. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

173A4605-E571-4394-AC94-122469B29380.jpeg Early design, throttle and reverser lever positioning:

• Like Like x 3
  14. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I would have always loved to recreate at least the 4 levers for modern German locomotives, but I definitely don't have the skill for that, and I play on console and can't switch to PC, so yeah...