23 Killed In Mexico City Incident

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cyclone, May 4, 2021.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

For those who didn't see the news this morning, there was a bridge collapse in Mexico City as a subway train passed over. As a result of this, the train naturally fell with the bridge. Someone under the bridge crushed by it somehow survived, though probably will have the emotional trauma of being afraid to go under bridges for the rest of his or her life.

Read more: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/at-least-23-killed-in-mexico-city-subway-accident/
    CNN video with someone on site talking about the event:

You can see the train going by in the very upper left. The bridge then collapses and you can see the spark from electrical being cut. This led to mayhem trying to get everyone out alive, but already nearly two dozen will not be saved.

EDIT: Here's an image of the area prior to collapse, on Google Maps. This is probably pretty good evidence against the company. I suspect there will be a heavy price to pay, but for now let's just hope more get out.

crack.png

(If this is better for Off-Topic, feel free to move it. I just wanted to discuss this given it's international news right now.)

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Saw it on the breakfast news here in the UK - absolutely terrifying watching the CCTV footage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Saw this on my evening news last night, and i was in absolute awe of what happened. Sad that 23 people lost their lives, but it could have been a lot worse. And seeing the cctv footage when the train fell through was eye dropping.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

That section of line was structurally damaged in the 2017 earthquake and the line was closed for a couple of months while repairs were made.

5. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

The way it just gave way and caved in, over in a moment, but the impact will stay with a lot of people for a very long time.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Does this mean people will be posting any railway incident here?

7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Off topic really. I know it's train related, but not train sim related.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I gave exception as it is a major incident that will probably result in lawsuits for not acting sooner. Those families will demand justice given the company neglected to act on reports from four years prior. Sadly, the justice will only be monetary in nature, as they will never get their relatives back.

As I noted in the OP, this can be moved to off-topic if deemed such. But while we're on the topic, a Mexican rail network would not be a bad addition to the sim!