Any Train Simulator Where You Own Trains?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taylor10, May 5, 2021.

1. taylor10

taylor10 New Member

So I want to play a train sim but there are so many! I just want one where the map is HUGE and I can own trains. What would you recommend?

My PC specs:

CPU: i5 1.6GHz octa core RAM: 8GB GPU: NVIDIA mx230 2GB

I would love if the size of the game is under 10GB!

Also I know I can just download an old train sim and play but I'd like to play one which has good graphics so travelling around the map may feel atmospheric. IMO from what I've searched Train Simulator 2016 is something what I want but I don't know if you own trains in it or not, that's why I'm not buying it.

Thanks for the help!
    https://192-168-2-1.link/
    http://tplinklogin.info/
    https://192-168-1-128.link/

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The recommendation for TS says 40GB but I think that allows for a lot of wiggle room to add more DLC- IIRC my initial installation (TS2016 plus The Weardale and Teesdale Network in the '60s route which is not insubstantial) didn't take up anywhere near that.

Looking it up I gather that your GPU is pretty basic. It sounds to me as if you have a system similar to my old laptop (I'm not sure how old it was, I bought it second hand, but it ran Windows 7- it did have a faster processor) and I was very happy with the way it ran TS albeit with some of the graphics settings dialled down.

I'm not sure what you mean by owning trains. Every route comes with trains- at least one loco' and rolling stock or a multiple unit. The routes with TS2016 each have quite a generous selection especially The Riviera Line in the '50s with several GW kettles.

3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think the OP means owning trains like how you own trucks in ETS2 and you build up your company? If so, TS is not that.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

That kind of suggests that it's Train Simulator 2021 then, as Train Sim World 2 is far more limiting in terms of available routes and locomotives and rolling stock. Not sure what you mean by own trains. If you mean buy more trains to play in the game, then yes, of course. If you mean own then as in a scenario where you own and run a train operating company, then no... neither Train Simulator, or Train Sim World does that.

Well, I think then you're in trouble, as while a bare bones installation MAY be less than 10GB (I can't remember) if it's a large amount of routes and trains that is a deciding factor for you (which your post seems to suggest), then you'll need MUCH more than that. It's not hard to have a TS install that spans into hundreds of gigabytes as your collection of routes, trains and other assets grows.

Train Sim World 2 has better graphics, but you'll have access to less routes and trains, and almost no 3rd party content. TS2021 has literally thousands of 3rd party assets available for it, and hundreds of routes and locos, wagons, and other assorted assets.

Train Simulator 2021 is graphically not as sophisticated as TSW2, but there are graphical addons that greatly improve the look of the game, but your laptop specifications will not really allow you to make proper use of them I'm afraid.

While others may have had an acceptable experience with such equipment, there are factors that determine these things. What resolution is your laptop screen for example? If it's really low such as 1366x768, then sure, it may play it with the game settings turned down, but if it has a 1920x1080 screen resolution, then it will be very hard pressed to give any performance that could even be described as acceptable with Train Simulator 2021 unless again, you turn everything right down.. then it's a completely different experience graphically.

Yes, if you buy TS2016, you will get the base game itself (which will actually be updated to 2021 - just the game engine, not the included content) and you'll get Sherman Hill (USA), Riviera Line set in the 50s (UK) and some German route I can't remember now. You'll get an assortment of traction to run on these routes too. You can buy any version of TS2021 you want depending on it's availability, and what contents come with it. The underlying game engine will always be updated to the latest one however. If you buy TS2016, you will get its content, but you'll be running it on TS2021.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

IIRC when TS2016 was current 6GB of free storage was recommended so ten should be OK for the base and a few more routes (though that would depend on the routes). TS can easily outgrow that and even the 40GB currently recommended if you get the bug though- my fairly modest collection is pushing 100GB. One worry occurs to me- are you saying 10GB because that is the free space you have? If so consider getting a second drive- internal if you have the room but I see no reason not to install TS on an external drive if better solutions are outside your budget.

Excellent point and I could have expanded on my experience with my laptop. It had a 17" HD (1920x1080) screen and, for the most part, ran smoothly and looked OK with graphics settings turned down. I wish I could remember the specific GPU it had so we'd know what we were comparing but it wasn't anything special. It was certainly a breath of fresh air after systems with only integrated Intel HD graphics available.

• Like Like x 1
  6. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

You might be looking for Derail Valley, however keep in mind that it is in early access - https://store.steampowered.com/app/588030/Derail_Valley/