Forget About Gamepass

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Coastway trainspotter, May 5, 2021.

1. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Hi everyone ,
    I am sure you are aware of the lack of sales we get on Xbox , by no fault of DTG’s so I was wondering if this is because TSW2020 is on Gamepass . I think DTG should take TSW2020 off gamepass , to provide more sales . Barely anyone still plays 2020 , so why not take it off gamepass ?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I play it on gamepass using XBOX streaming. Do you really think it will promote sales by removing it? I think it promotes sales by being on Gamepass. I already have TSW2 on my PC so I'm not going to pay again. I like it on Gamepass as I can play on my phone while I'm out.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

I believe (but probably very wrong) games on gamepass are on there for a agreed amount of time by both companies involved and is bound by a contract of some description, so not sure DTG has the power to remove it, plus don't think that has anything to do with the lack of sales, but who knows, everything is a possibility........

4. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

I have to say, it was due to me trying TSW2020 on game pass, which I don’t think I ever would, I mean a train sim ....

That led me to purchasing TSW2, so it worked for me.

• Like Like x 5
  5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

What sounds more likely?

You’ve never played a train sim before, so you buy it for £24.99.

or

You’ve never played a train sim before, and you see it’s on gamepass so you give it a go for free, you enjoy it, you want new routes and more features, so you buy TSW 2 for £24.99.

A lack of sales on Xbox (no idea where that info even comes from, but there’s a lot of variables even if it is the case) has nothing to do with the game being on gamepass, more people are going to try it for free then pay outright for it.

• Like Like x 4
  6. anthony91919191

anthony91919191 Member

The correct answer is
    You’ve never played a train sim before, and you see it’s on gamepass so you give it a go for free, you enjoy it, you want new routes and more features, so you buy TSW 2 for £24.99.
    And a wile later you don’t purchase any dlc at full price , or wait for rush hour and start again

7. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

The lack of sales has nothing to do with the previous game being on Game Pass. There are many games that are regularly discounted even while they are in Game Pass themselves, let alone a series that has only one installment in the service. It's more likely that Microsoft has a common circle of publishers whom they always look up to offer deals, and DTG is not one of those. Microsoft probably goes after the bigger publishers and indies. I think DTG could be more proactive here and try to convince Microsoft to include them more into these deals. It would be worth a few emails, probably. If they want it at all, that is.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

I was always intrigued, but never sure. Saw it on game pass, gave it a whirl, and poof! There went my money, free time, and wife.
    Just kidding. She’s still here needling me when I’m driving trains. Love me some trains.

• Like Like x 2
  9. christofer.o

christofer.o New Member

Exactly the same applies for me, I gave TSW2020 on Gamepass a try. Now I've quite happily paid for TSW2 and a couple of add-ons.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. aaron1807

aaron1807 Member

Also, in addition to the game being on gamepass that does give discounts on some preserved collection content. I used this to pick up some extra routes for TSW2. Speaking of sales, there was a sale on TSW2020 not too long ago which I rebought to beef up my collection of routes for about £10. In all honesty though the lack of sales don't really bother me, £24.99 for an add on which in many aspects is a full game again is completely worth it in my opinion.

11. drdavewatford

drdavewatford Active Member

^ This.

An additional selection of DLC has just landed in the store (XBOX spring add-on sale) and still there doesn't appear to be any TSW2 DLC included. It's bizarre. It'd be great if someone from DTG would come on here and help us to understand why those of us on XBOX are obliged to pay full price for DLC if we want it while gamers on the other platforms enjoy substantial discounts. If DTG can indeed confirm that this is 100% down to Microsoft and DTG have absolutely no influence whatsoever then at least we know where to send our customer feedback....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I think there are 2 different uses of the word ‘Sales’. Going on here.

Sales - as in Units sold
    Sales - as in discounts

Removing it from game pass could encourage the first, though I personally think it would do the opposite. I think it far more likely that someone tries it on Game Pass and then buys TSW2.

I don’t see any connection to it being on Game Pass and discounts. DTG has stated many times that they take part in any sale opportunities they are offered and I doubt being on Game Pass affects that at all.

Either way, I’m hoping it remains on Gamepass for some time.

13. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Yes, sorry, by "lack of sales" I meant "lack of discounts".

To my understanding how this works is that Microsoft regularly approaches publishers about whether they want to be part of a weekly sale. It could be that Microsoft, for some reason, just disregards DTG, maybe because of relatively low player numbers, or for whatever reason. And this is why DTG shouldn't just sit waiting patiently but somehow proactively signal to Microsoft that "hey, we have this product for which we'd like to do some discounts". In light of some of the internal emails that have gone public recently, I'm sure it's not rocket science. Just get in touch with someone at the correct department at Microsoft. There have been TSW discounts in the past so I'm sure the product is on Microsoft's radar.

Either this, or I'm completely mistaken about how this works (this is what I've heard by the way), or there's a different reason for few discounts. Maybe DTG don't want to discount relatively new content, or there are technical / legal / bureaucratic issues. I guess we'll never get the full scoop.

• Like Like x 2
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Microsoft's priority in its limited number of sales are the big publishers that do huge volume: EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Bethesda, Epic, Square Enix and Microsoft/Turn 10 itself. Small mammals like DTG get stuffed into whatever space might be left over after the dinosaurs are catered to.

15. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Maybe DTG or Microsoft could do a free trial for something like 12 hours or something , then you can buy it if you like it ? Not sure if this is down to DTG though

16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point and if you're wondering Blizzard entertainment legal name it's actually Activision-Blizzard since 2008. For DTG they might be an Indie or small scale major developer.

17. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

This would of been agreed by DTG and Xbox. As TSW 2020 is on game pass all the dlc should have a discount. but i guess in there agreement dtg only decided to have a small selection with that offer.