Important Next Gen Version Save Question

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, May 5, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Hi there,

I think this is an important question that could do with being answered ASAP.

I’m currently playing the PS4 version of TSW 2 on my PS5. Therefore, my current save file is generated by the PS4 version of the game.

When I upgrade to the PS5 version of TSW 2 on my PS5, will the PS4 save file be compatible or will I need to start from scratch by creating a new save file using the PS5 version of the game?

matjamca

• Like Like x 4
  2. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

This was answered in the stream last night.

The save will not carry across, unless you're able to find a way to copy and paste your save from one to the other.

If only DTL could do something useful like provide a consistent save game...

• Like Like x 2
  3. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Sam seemed to suggest that the save files could be downloaded from the PS4 area manually to a USB stick then reuploaded to the PS5 save area once the game is upgraded to PS5 version. Seems doable but clunky if you ask me.
    Also rather that the PS4 version being upgraded is it not the case that the PS5 version will be a completely new game rather than upgrading the one that’s sitting there already?
    I certainly have no passion in starting all progress again a third time (TSW/TSW2/TSW2 PS5)

• Like Like x 5
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think that was more to do with transferring your PS4 file from a PS4 to a PS5. My PS4 save file is already on the PS5, but I don’t know if this will be compatible with the PS5 version of the game or whether the PS5 version will just update the PS4 version.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with you all.

Your progress should appear in new versions. To have to redo all your hard work is just ridiculous and makes me for one say, I will stick with what I have. Even if it means in the end I do not get new routes, as they will only be available in the PS5 version. I have already had to re-do everything from TSW2020 to TSW2!

Come on Dovetail & Rivet this is something that is important to your "Customers", that they can keep their progress and not loose it every time a new version appears. Let us know what will happen. Suggesting is far from what is "Fact" which is what we want to deal in not Conjecture!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

My understanding from what Matt said was that the main basis of the PS5 'version' is simply that the new Unreal engine version means the game can offer some hardware related improvements specifically for PS5 users, not that DTG are developing a separate updated PS5 version of the game with any additional features. I would reign in your expectations if you're expecting a PS5 update so big as to prohibit the use of PS4 save data, because that is not the impression I got at all.

Also, and I mean this in the most constructive way, I think Sam was way off with his comments about saves last night, he made out like it was rocket science to move a save file to a USB stick and then from one console to another, the process literally takes about 3 minutes if you know what you are doing, maybe 10 mins if you are following a youtube tutorial and having to stop and think about it. It really is not the Everest-like challenge Sam made out. Everyone can move their saves across, you are not going to lose progress unless you refuse to engage with some fairly basic functionality the playstation 4 and 5 offer.

• Like Like x 7
  7. borg#1850

Although I have to say it is not Rocket Science (RS) for DTG & Rivet to have the program go look and find your old saves and ask if you want to copy them across. A nice feature offered in other games. What is not RS to some is to others. So a feature that does it for you is not RS for DTG & Rivet to implement, well it shouldn't be in "My" view.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m sure Matt did say the PS5 version would effectively have better graphics because the game could detect the new hardware having the latest Unreal Engine in place. This might not come straightaway, but being able to take full advantage of the PS5 hardware would enable PS5 specific enhancements such as improved textures, layering etc.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Every time I log in to TSW2 and have to deal with DTL, it would sure be nice to actually see it be useful, if it can track your in game activity, I don’t see why it can’t carry your profile.

It’s a little ridiculous that DTG themselves don’t know what’s going to happen with their own game.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Luke8899

Nice-to-have but not essential. Is something that makes the process easier a good thing? Yes. Does not having it mean you lose your save data? Absolutely not.

11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope that the PS4 version saves carry over to the PS5 version. I'd be quite annoyed about losing my profile a second time.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Posted on the trophy thread about this the other day.

must tricky to know as we haven’t been told if it will fully appear as a PS5 title.

The new engine will recognise it’s a PS5 and run better (improvements to be confirmed of course)

perhaps if DTG could let us know if it will be a standalone title for PS5?

• Like Like x 2
  13. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Sony hasn't given the playstation a cloud save system like the xbone consoles, as i understand it (probably way off target tho lol) the xbone shoves all your save data in the cloud and just fishes it out when you're playing the upgraded version of same game.

14. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

PS does have a cloud save feature (100gb) but it's tied to PS Plus subscription. I used it to port over my TSW and TSW2 game save data.
    The downside to this is that if you let your subscription run out, you can't access your game save data until you renew the subscription.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. borg#1850

An extra expense. I personally do not subscribe to it.

16. madda253

madda253 Member

As far as I am aware there is an transfer function for data from PS4 to ps5. There is an option to transfer all data via ethernet cable in one go when upgrading to next gen.
    Thus you shouldn't need to use a USB stick to transfer save files?

Or as mentioned above there is cloud transfer

17. TinTin_57

On the PS5 though there is an area of console storage for PS4 titles/saves and one for PS5, so they are physically separate on the disk. A PS5 version of the game then would have it's save in the PS5 area.
    Anyone with a PS5 have a look in Settings-->Storage and you will see what I mean

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yep. The storage is definitely split between PS4/5 on the SSD.

19. Luke8899

There might even be more ways to do it than this, the point I was making is that it was overkill for Sam to make out it was some sort of near impossible scientific task to transfer data from PS4 to PS5. It's like saying some old people won't know how to use a PS5 controller so let's just tell everyone never to expect to be able to play the game on PS5.

• Like Like x 3
  20. box215

box215 Active Member

I think you should be more upset with Sony and how they chose to deal with (or neglected to deal with) backwards compatibility over the years.
    Now that theyre behind it fully, teething problems maybe you can call it?

Let's take a bigger picture look - are there any PS5 version of PS4 games out there already where saved game data transferred over without issue? Or can be transferred over in some way?

I think maybe that can give us a clue as to what to expect when the PS5 version of TSW2 is released

• Like Like x 1
  21. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I can only speak for the ones I’ve played on PS4, then upgraded to a PS5, but Black Ops Cold War, Watchdogs Legion, Destiny 2 & War Thunder have all carried saves across.

The fact of the matter is that where games have a server side communication, the saves can be carried, and since DTL carries your profile, some sort of online save must exist.

• Like Like x 1
  22. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

There is an initial free month I think!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Can't believe it's such a faff on PS. On Xbox this is all seamless.

• Like Like x 2
  24. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

It’s really not but people like to make a big deal out of things, doesn’t help that DTG throws their “not sure how it works” line out.

• Like Like x 2
  25. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Sony themselves have issued lots of instructions on how to transfer save data on all games between PS4 and PS5. All of it will carry over.

I think DTG are just unfamiliar with how the process works. The only reason I can think as to why it wouldn't transfer is if it's some weird Dovetail live thing.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

That’s not what I’m asking. I’m asking if the PS4 save file will be compatible with the PS5 version of the game. PS5 has separate areas on the SSD for PS4/PS5 save files, so unless DTG implement anything to make the PS4 save file a PS5 save file, the save file might not be compatible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

This is what i was talking about above.

Baffling design choice by Sony IMO. On Xbox, there's only one game "title", and the console automatically downloads the appropriate version (XB1/One X/Series S/Series X) when you install it.
    I think your question is an important one, and i haven't seen a definitive answer from DTG yet.

Edit: and cloud saves work with all versions on Xbox

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  28. Lamplight

Thankfully, the next gen (or current gen technically, I guess) version of TSW is still early in development. I hope that means that the chances of our concerns being heard and adressed (in game that is) are quite good.

• Like Like x 3
  29. james64

Ohhh I see. I hadn't actually thought of that.

I think Sony have said it's down to the developers for that kind of thing. I know some games like Spider Man Miles Morales and Watch Dogs Legion allow save files to transfer from the PS4 version to the PS5 version.

Personally, it won't be the end of the world for me if the saves don't end up transferring. I'm not that much of a trophy hunter, and I don't go out of my way to complete all the scenarios for each route or anything like that, I just drive whatever I'm in the mood for. I know it's an important issue for others though. As long as all the content transfers over (which DTG have said it will) I'll be happy.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  30. TinTin_57

Currently installing the PS5 version of Wreckfest which was free on PS Plus. Now in the PS4 version I got the platinum trophy and my save file is sat on the PS5. Once I run the game I'll let you know if it has auto picked up my PS4 save and converted it or whatever the term may be

• Like Like x 3
  31. TinTin_57

Ok didn’t work automatically for Wreckfest so assuming the PS5 version is a separate game rather than an upgrade. Started me again at level 0. Had a look round to see if anyone was asking about copying existing progress across from PS4 to PS5 but didn’t find anything yet

• Like Like x 2
  32. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

As others have pointed out, you cannot turn a PS4 savegame into something a PS5 version can use either by a USB stick or through the PlayStation cloud. It has to be done through the game itself.

This has been the way for all cross platform save thus far. Destiny 2, Valhalla, WD Legion and the Spiderman games etc (I had to re-download Spiderman PS4 for that to carry over). Wreckfest is apparently going to get a patch to incorporate the feature at some point

So DTG needs to come clean on how they plan to deal with this, as their method mentioned in the stream is a complete nonstarter.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist I know we're not supposed to tag moderators, but this does seem to be an issue for a lot of people. Could we have a bit of clarification on whether our current Xbox One and PS4 save files will work on the PS5 and Series X versions of TSW2?

• Like Like x 4
  34. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This would be very welcome. Do I continue working to complete 100 services on HHR (currently up to 30) and 1550 km/h in the 155 (currently up to 500), or do I save the effort until the ‘PS5 version’ is available.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Lamplight

Agreed. I‘m not much of a trophy hunter but I love seeing how much I‘ve driven different locos (in miles/km). It just gives me a sense of satisfaction.

• Like Like x 2
  36. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I have a xbox series x and used to play tsw2 on xbox one. On Xbox Series X/S, if you log into your Microsoft account, all the games you had on your xbox one can be redownloaded and will have your latest save games saved via the cloud system Xbox has so all you would have to if your upgrading from Xbox One to Xbox Series X/S is just log into your Microsoft account you used in your Xbox One and redownload tsw2. Your save data wouldn't be deleted since it's saved in the cloud. Mine tsw2 save data definitely wasn't lost when I upgraded. If a player upgrades from Xbox One to Xbox Series X/S to tsw2 when rush hour comes out, you wouldn't lose your save data since rush hour is simply an addon. Yes there will be a tsw2 core update for Series X/S enhancements but you wouldn't lose your save data since you would just have to use the same Microsoft account you used for your Xbox One and just reinstall tsw2 and it's effectively an update, not a sepreate game so I don't get why Sam thought your save data would be lost for Xbox players upgrading if Xbox saves games automatically on your Microsoft account via the cloud system. Log into your Microsoft account, redownload tsw2 and your save data will still be there as is the case for every other game on Xbox. No need for a USB for xbox players :)

I am not sure about Playstation since I don't own one

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  37. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

I just installed TSW2 on a PS5 and copied the game data with a USB stick from my old PS4. Took me less than 5 minutes to have my profile and progress available on the PS5. TSW2 starts flawlessly with my profile, I can continue the game as if I was on my old PlayStation (only much faster ).

• Like Like x 1
  38. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

this’ll be because you are running a PS4 version of the game still :) hopefully DTG will clear this all up soon with some useful info in the future :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This doesn’t address whether the PS4 save file will be compatible with the PS5 version of the game. If it isn’t, we’ll have to start a fresh on the PS5 version.

• Like Like x 3
  40. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

DTG can simply make the PS5 version to be able to detect the save from the PS4 version either on PS5 or cloud, and some people I know who have platted PS4 versions of certain games have when they installed PS5 versions automatically got the PS5 version plat this is something DTG could do but I don't think they will, but knowing TSW's "legacy" for trophies and achievements not unlocking I wont hold my breath

• Like Like x 1
  41. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

Interestingly, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order saw it's next-gen release last week, and had the option to import the PS4 save. There was no requirement to first upload the save to the cloud, so it does seem that it's possible for a game to detect another game's save file.

42. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Hopefully DTG can make this happen in TSW 2 and get support from Sony/Microsoft to help in achieving that. Whilst starting again isn’t the end of the world, it is a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  43. box215

box215 Active Member

No need for help from Microsoft. Smart Delivery is the answer and what you guys need on Playstation (something equivalent)

44. james64

I was fortunate enough to get myself a PS5 and it was easy to download my save data from cloud storage. Everything is exactly how I left it on PS4.

I'm assuming that DTG will have to figure out a way to make the PS4/ Xbox One save data compatible with the upcoming next gen versions. I won't be too upset if they can't though. As long as I have all my add ons I don't mind replaying things.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

OK just to confirm incase anyone missed the stream. They confirmed that profiles won't transfer between PS4 to PS5.

They claimed they are looking at way to transfer your save but to me it sounds like its not going to happen

This is becoming more of a certain type of nasty shower the closer we get to release

• Like Like x 2
  46. TinTin_57

Yeah we knew this would be the case didn’t we
    Looks like a 3rd progress restart since TSW began

47. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

And this is why Xbox is king lol

48. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve mixed feelings. In some respects I like the idea of starting fresh, and being able to get the trophies yet again, but in others, it’s a lot of progress just to lose.

• Like Like x 2
  49. Lamplight

Very disappointed about these news. One thing I love to do is to just look at the trains I‘ve got and go Oh cool, I‘ve driven the Br 155 for 4000+ kilometers. That‘s nifty. Guess what, this‘ll be the second time I‘ll have to start over again. And seeing how XBox doesn‘t suffer from this issue, I‘m 99.9% certain that barely any (if any) resources will be poured into trying to find a solution.

Sorry if this comes on a bit strong. I‘m just a little on edge after the last couple of days.

• Like Like x 3
  50. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

At least now we know where we stand (we will be getting a dedicated PS5 version of the game, with options for graphics settings).

Matt stated on the stream that they're looking at a solution to the save file issue on PS5, but so far there's been a danger of corrupting the file, so work is ongoing. To say they're not putting resources into it is unfair.

• Like Like x 1