How To Couple Class 66 To Gp38

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by GoldenTicket420, May 7, 2021.

1. GoldenTicket420

GoldenTicket420 Well-Known Member

How to couple class 66 to gp38 - 2
    Details can be found in the description.I hope you guys enjoy

• Like Like x 4
  2. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

why would you want to?

3. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Because it works? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. GoldenTicket420

GoldenTicket420 Well-Known Member

I thought It would make for fun and unique scenario,long cargo hauling foreign train.Possibly and also to show DTG that you can couple and mixing locos do work without breaking the game lol.Yes surprisingly It does work,I've tested 40x It also works for ac4400cw but coupling class 66 to sd40 does break the class 66.Beware

Platform : ps4_pro

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

It should work as they are both compatible with AAR multiple working. Basically they have the same power train, except the class 66 has the later 710 power unit and the GP38 has the 645.

It does make you wonder how the squeezed the same unit into the UK loading gauge.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

They had to make a lot of changes to the design to get it onto our loading gauge, most notably is the omission of dynamic braking and the deafening noise in the cab (which is why drivers hate them and makes the loss of the Class 60s more tragic).

• Like Like x 2
  7. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

I like the 60 as I do most UK stuff, But you cant get away from the superior nature of the EMD product we also didn't take up the whisper cab. Dynamic brake wasn't really needed in the UK. But we got "Radial bogies" , Reliability across the board In general compared to the Reliability of any BR built product.

The main problem fitting US equipment into the British loading gauge was was no worse than the Western region fitting German stuff into the UK gauge. With US stuff it was down to the Cooler group. But EMD had solved that by the mid 1980s. The problem now is fitting the post 710 Emission compliant power unit into the UK gauge. Its not a major issue.

• Like Like x 2