Hhl And Concern For Nec Boston

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by acela2163, May 8, 2021.

1. acela2163

acela2163 Well-Known Member

Since we know that Hamburg - Lubeck is going to use the wrong variant of the Dostos, that raises a concern about Boston - Providence. For those unfamiliar with the route, Boston - Providence (and the NEC as a whole) uses a mix of High and low level platforms. All stations served by the Acela Express (South Station, Back Bay, Route 128, and Providence) have high level platforms, while the rest have low level platforms. In real life, the passenger cars have a trap door over a set of steps to access low level platforms. This is a system used across the US and can be found on the Amfleets and single level MBTA cars (as well as the bi-level cars that we'll probably get in a DLC with the HSP46). So given that door height matching the platform wasn't a concern with Hamburg - Lubeck, it worries me that this two level system on the NEC won't be modeled. Would love to hear your thoughts on this, and maybe if we could get a word from the devs on if this system is being worked on/has been modeled.

2. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Don’t worry, the Amtrak coaches featured in nec had the trap door steps

3. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

And they will use the "dosto" from Hamburg for the Boston train set

• Like Like x 2
  4. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I would not worry too much. The thing with Hamburg was that it was just ever so much more comfortable to copy the existing dostos, which is why we did not get the accurate ones. Apparently they are basically the same and it would not be noticable anyway (not my words).
    With the Amtrak coaches I am not too familiar, but if they have to build new stock, they will most likely build the correct ones, since when you have to start from scratch, you can just as well do the right stock. American passenger routes had been anticipated for a long time now, if they botch the first release in that regard for TSW2, they will never hear the end of it.
    I don't know if the stock from the TSW2020 NEC is appropriate for the new route, but if these coaches can be used on the Boston line as well, chances are they will copy the old ones and improve them for TSW2.

Interesting though, who could ever have thought that customers get concerned with future content once a lowering of rolling stock standards on upcoming content gets shown ;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Amtrak coaches all along the NEC are Amfleets, with a handful of Viewliners (but I doubt we'll get those). Superliner double-deckers don't run on the NEC because some of the tunnels aren't tall enough.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

And since MBTA has made it known before that they would be willing to work with DTG to have them in a route, I would expect to see some accurate models of MBTA equipment.

• Like Like x 3
  7. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

They said things like the 3D models can be used, but things like physics have to be re done

8. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

Breaking news! *holds ear piece* I've just been told that the BR143 will be repainted in Amtrak colours to stand in for the AEM-7 and the BR182 will get a new paint job to fit in as the ACS-64.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1