Passing Gwr Services In Wsr

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jamesbaby286, May 8, 2018.

1. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

For owners of both GWE and WSR; having occasional passing GWR services and a few class 66 freight services (even if on a non-realistic timetable) would add some further life to a route that isn't going to be crawling with activity. This would be along the short section of the Bristol to Exeter line that is featured alongside the Norton Fitzwarren triangle.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jamesbaby286

Can I ask why you gave a downvote NorthRail1? No worries about it just curious to the reason.

3. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Would be a neat thing. Not only for WSR but also other routes that have parallel or crossing tracks. A train here and there if the rolling stock is available.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Personally, I believe that there are more important things than this for both West Somerset Railway and service mode. Firstly, there would be a very limited view of the passing trains and it would not add much to the game. Secondly, there are more important problems with DTG's service modes as an be seen in these threads:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/more-rapid-transit-services.3471/
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/nec-new-york-service-mode-overhaul.4155/

Once West Somerset Railway is released, I will probably make another thread concerning that service mode. Repeatedly, DTG make service mode to a poorer quality than I would expect and WSR will probably follow this trend. Overall I think that there are more important additions to service mode required than this one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jamesbaby286

I understand. Thanks for responding.

I will say that the kind of services that would be passing wouldn't need any more programming other than a spawn point, spawn time, direction, speed, and despawn point. No signalling, switching or interconnecting with playable services to worry about. It theoretically should be able to be set it up very quickly and simply, and even be possible to be set up by someone other than whomever is responsible for the playable services.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  6. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

No player interaction? Sure...until you realize that this forces everyone to have GWE, or forces DTG to make a system that allows services to be turned on and off depending on who has what DLC. The work put into such a system will definitely be needed someday, but for WSR and putting in AI trains that add literally nothing to gameplay, it makes no sense to do that, and it would be a real waste of time. Maybe DTG will do that when there's actually a DLC that will add services people can drive, instead of sitting around doing nothing.

Oh, and you do realize almost nothing goes to Norton anyway? That would be a lot of work for something you'd almost never ever see.

7. jamesbaby286

It is impossible for there to be player interaction with these passing trains. The track they use will be inaccessible to the player when at the control of a train.

I specified that this would be only for owners of both DLC. They already have proved they have a system that checks a players DLC and changes what appears in the world with the GP-40 in HH and NEC.

I would also hope that during these early days of TSW, DTG is seeing the opportunities to test out and prove basic additions and systems where they can. Especially as a showcase to third party developers. As for it being a waste of time because it would be rarely seen; perhaps. It shouldn't take long to set up though.

As you say, this work will definitely be needed someday. This is still only the first occasion in TSW's releases where they have had the opportunity to do this. I won't be disappointed if we don't see passing services in WSR. I understand if DTG feels its not significant enough to bother right now.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Such a system is already in the game. They have a train replacement system, as seen with the GP-40 DLC witch replaces random locos in services where allowed.

9. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

That's a very different system than what's required for this. All that does is replace locomotives on services that are already there. It can do nothing more than that. Which means doing the same here would require green 47s to be going down the mainline hauling Mk1s, then have the lead loco replaced with something else, while the rest of the train stays Mk1s. They definitely can do that, but it makes no sense to have green 47s going down the main, nor does it make sense to have HSTs or 66s hauling trains of Mk1s. Also, it is a completely random system, so even then, you'd be seeing some green 47s mixed in there.